Another question, please?

by irishayes 6 Replies latest jw friends

• irishayes
    irishayes

In reading a lot of the posts, and in trying to digest all the teachings and then changes in teachings, it makes me wonder, does the church have preachers who have gone to a school and studied scripture? Or do they just study the WBTS publications?

There are lots of seminaries where christian preachers study but are there WBTS seminaries?

Just curious.

• Badger
    Badger

NO real deep study of WTS scriptures....but a seminary would allow too much questioning and interpretation....

Bethel makes Bob Jones University look like Oxford.

• Valis
    Valis

Irish...they have some meetings of the elders and the pioneers can go to "pioneer" school, but no...They have no formal religious training. If you want a timeline see Quotes' great site..

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• English Patient
    English Patient

Well, according to the Watchtower, Jehovah himself elects people within the congregations to teach others.

Therefore, apparently, such elders are God ordained to teach the rest of the flock, no matter how low IQ they have. I know of one elder, no offense but boy is he simple. He was in the army for quite some time, but obviously thats all behind him and he is now qualified. He used to sit there at the book study mentioning how 'nobody else knows these things' and 'what more can I say? What more can I say...'

Out of all the elders I ever knew, I can seriously only mention one man who was an exellent teacher, top quality... although it was a shame what he was teaching. Still, a great guy.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Iris,

Like Valis says, they do have short-term schools like:

Ministerial Training School - for pioneer males and single

Gilead School - for missionaries

Elders' School - for elders (held every few years)

However, these are for already appointed men to attend. There's nothing like a seminary to equip them before they start their service.

Their qualifications are learned "on the ground" and so there's a wide gap between them.

My own close friendship with pastors from various denominations has led both Mrs Ozzie and I to conclude that leaders in mainstream churches have a much greater knowledge of the Bible and are are far better equipped than are elders in Dub congregations.

Interestingly, too, they don't try to take on more than they're qualified for, so they don't insist on handling "judicial matters" themselves - that's what the "superior authorities" (governments and its agencies) are for.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Carmel
    Carmel

When I was a dubbie, back in aught six, we called ourselves "self-ordained ministers". Didn't know what that meant but used the term like it was proof we were cool. No clergy, no sir! NO brains either!

carmel

• AGuest
    AGuest

but they don't dare call it that nor seek official recognition so as to have it called. That would be, to them, like being called a "religion" (which they used to frown upon, but after discord in Mexico and Europe, now embrace).

Among its many other definitions, Webster's lists "seminary" as- "An institution for the training of candidates for the priesthood, ministry, or rabbinate." In that light, please note the following, which was taken from the "Jehovah's Witness 'Offficial' Website":

"SPECIAL TRAINING PROGRAMS

J. F. Rutherford died in 1942 and was succeeded in the presidency by N. H. Knorr. A concerted program of training began. In 1943 a special training school for missionaries, called the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead, was established. From that time onward, graduates from this school have been sent to lands all over the earth. New congregations have sprung up in countries where there had been none, and branches established internationally now number more than 100. From time to time, special courses have been established for training congregation elders, voluntary workers at branches, and those engaged full time (as pioneers) in the witnessing work. A number of specialized types of schooling for ministers have been offered at an educational center operated in Patterson, New York."

Bottom line? "A rose... by any other name"... and... "if it looks like a duck"...

Their gimmick? Even though they smell like a rose and look like a duck, they spend unfathomable amounts of time and money... and produce inordinates amounts of propoganda to convince people that they are neither. And many, many people (including myself at one time) truly believe that they are neither "plant" nor "animal."

In truth, however, they look... and smell... exactly as they are: a snare... and a racket.

May those those who are wishing be granted "eyes"... to see.

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit