Advice on Germany Trip

by luna 7 Replies latest jw friends

• luna
    luna

Hey all.....

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I have a few questions for anyone that lives in, or knows Germany very well.

I am going to be flying into Frankfurt (as a layover from somewhere else), and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to see, stay, etc. I'll probably stay in Germany for about 3 days.

I kind-of want to travel into Bavaria, because I want to go to Fussen and see the castle there, but I'm also running on low funds, and want to do it as inexpensively as possible. I'm thinking that Hostels are probably the way to go, but I don' t know the area, or what would be the best bet as far as safety, and more for your money, etc....

Also, curious about rail passes. I think I'll get the 4 day pass that has unlimited train use, but then I read that only guarantees you to board the train, but you have to reserve and pay extra for seats...which seems kind-of pointless, but I don't know how it all works.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

luna

• astro_girl
    astro_girl

Hi Luna!

My brother used to live in Frankfurt and I visited him a few times there. He's a moonie (thought I'd mention that little tid bit) The most memorable thing about my trips was a visit to Heidelberg and Schloss castle. Here is a link that may be helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=heidelberg@233&cur_section=ove&showover=yes

In Frankfurt try to visit Romerberg Square and some of the beautiful churches in the old town. The transportation system is very efficient in the city and they have something called a Frankfurt Pass thats economically great for tourists. Just hit the first "Information" center you see (they usually have a big i symbol) There you should find an English speaking (if you do not speak German) clerk that will give lots of great tips and info! Have a fun time! Enjoy some Bratwurst!

Rick Steves "Best Of Europe" book has lots of good information on where to stay cheap, transportation, eats etc. Unfortunately the dollar is in the dumper right now so things will be a bit more expensive than they were last year.

I am leaving next week to see my brother. He now resides outside of Berlin. Mixed feelings about my trip (the moonie thing is a downer plus he's a raving fanatic....grrrrrrr) but I'm sure I'll have some fun too! We are renting a car and my bro just told me gas was about $5 a gallon over there (about $75 to fill'er up) Oh well, there goes all of my souvenir money. Have lots of fun and a safe journey! astro_girl

• Navigator
    Navigator

Germany is a beautiful country and the food is wonderful. Never had a bad meal. I was stationed there for several years and also had temporary assignments for several months at a time in later years. The rail system is excellent, but the trains do run on time. If you are two minutes late you are going to be looking at empty track. There is a train station in the basement of the Frankfurt airport. You would probably enjoy a cruise on the Rhine River. The best way is to board at Rudesheim (near Frankfurt) and get off in Bacherach and take the train back to Rudesheim. You would be going downstream. Don't check your luggage on German trains. They treat it as freight. Keep your bags with you. Rail passes are not worth it unless you plan to spend a lot of time traveling. You would enjoy a visit to the castle in Heidelburg. Traveling second class is a good deal cheaper than first class and quite acceptable. Frankfurt has a really good Zoo. Astro_girl gave you good advice about the "Information Centers".

• English Patient
    English Patient

My dad always used to say that the best thing in Germany is the plane coming straight out!

I'm sure his view was blinkered. But have a good time!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Try visiting the Moselle river area which is quite close to Frankfurt. Bad Ems is a wonderful place. Just make sure that you only drink wine "Mit Pradicat"!

Englishman.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Go and buy yourself a copy of Rough Guides or Lonely Planet - Germany, in either of these two books, you will find the best ways to travel on a budget and interesting places to visit. You could buy either of these books, a very worthwhile investment indeed, on either Ebay.com or Ebay.co.uk or Amazon of course under second user titles.

Best wishes for your forthcoming trip.

Mark

• Realist
    Realist

if you would like to see really nice little towns go to heidelberg (maybe 3 hours from frankfurt) and salzburg in austria (about 4 hours on the highway).

• IronGland
    IronGland

Ask the Germans why all their city centres are so modern looking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit