Questions - Memorial, Sabbath, Mediator,etc.

by azaria 2 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

I know these questions have been answered many times over the years. I just want to have it clear in my own mind. My mother lives about 45 min from me. Since my dad passed away I see my mother more often to help her out. Once a week I take her grocery shopping. I noticed that she spends a lot of time at the Kingdom Hall. Maybe she’s there more often because she’s lonely or maybe this is normal behaviour. I think she goes Tuesday, Thursday, Friday nights and Saturday and Sunday.(plus she goes to all the Assemblies? and Conventions in Ontario) Friday night I called about coming Saturday to shop but she couldn’t go then. So she asked if I would come on Sunday. I don’t believe in shopping on Sunday so I told her I couldn’t go then but that I would come over in a half hour. She started to question it but I managed to change the subject. I believe that keeping the Sabbath was never eliminated, but from my mother’s reaction it was a major thing, that no, we don’t have to observe it anymore.

1. the Sabbath: do Witnesses not observe the Sabbath?

2. How many times does a member go to the hall, bible study, door to door, etc, each week?

3. Why do all members observe the Memorial? First of all, if they say that Jesus came back why still observe it? If it’s just for the annointed, why not just observe it by themselves? Why should the rest be there to sit around and not be a part of it? It would seem to me that the annointed are rubbing it in everyone’s face, no? (smugness-I’m better than you) How does one know if he is of the annointed class?

4. Do witnesses really believe that the org (not Jesus) is the mediator between them and God?

5. Do witnesses not read the bible on their own, just for the sake of wanting to read it? Do they only read what is asked of them? (things that pertain to a particular article, bible study?)

I have so many, many more questions. Now that I spend more time with her I feel the need to be prepared. I honestly pray before I see or call her just to give me strength, patience and to be kind to her, that in the end I need to glorify God (by my behaviour) and my own feelings (about my reaction to what she is saying) aren’t that important really. But I admit it’s sometimes really hard and it’s very draining. When I have reacted emotionally to her in the past I know that she had control and power over me and I have to think that even though this is my mother (to love and respect her as my mother) her views are not mine. I don't respect her opinion, it is just her opinion, so why get all upset over it. God knows our hearts and that's what is important. For those who answer I really appreciate it.

Another Question:

Are JW's only allowed to read the NWT or can they read KJV. I was planning to buy my mother a bible with large print (because of her vision) but I don't want to spend the money if she rejects it.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Azaria,

1. No.

2. Three meetings (= 5 hours) a week, plus door-to-door (no amount of time required).

3. Good question, and no real answer (only: it's a mark of respect and appreciation for Christ's sacrifice). The actual objective is to gather big numbers for the annual reports and underline the subjection to the so-called "anointed". How do they know? Because they understand "the Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God" (Romans 8:16) -- which would be the case for every Christian were it not for WT indoctrination to the contrary.

4. Yes (although they would probably not say it that bluntly).

5. Some of them do, practically most of them don't.

• blondie
    blondie
    1. the Sabbath: do Witnesses not observe the Sabbath?
    No, the Sabbath is considered part of the Law that was nailed to the torture stake (cross). I know 7th Day Adventists and some Baptists do observe the Sabbath on Saturday.
    2. How many times does a member go to the hall, bible study, door to door, etc, each week?
    5 separate meetings, 1 hour book study, 1 hour each, Theocratic School, Service Meeting, 1 hour each Public Talk and WT Study. This does not count tye time getting ready and traveling to and from (5 hours plus 3 traveling hours plus 3 hours preparation equals 11 hours a week) Personal study varies and is nonexistent in some cases. If they study for each meeting, 1 hour per, then 5 hours a week. Door to door, JWs are expected to show up Saturday morning at their book study location to waste 2 hours in riding around in the car and perhaps talking to 1 or 2 people. Few are that regular and only 1 hour a month is required (15 minutes for the disabled, infirm or elderly) to be counted as an active JW.
    3. Why do all members observe the Memorial? First of all, if they say that Jesus came back why still observe it? If it?s just for the annointed, why not just observe it by themselves? Why should the rest be there to sit around and not be a part of it? It would seem to me that the annointed are rubbing it in everyone?s face, no? (smugness-I?m better than you) How does one know if he is of the annointed class?
    Actually from 1935 when the great crowd/other sheep were officially identified to 1938, the other sheep were not required to attend. As the numbers of the anointed started to drop off (some due to leaving because of policy changes) and death, it was fairly evident that the hold on the other sheep meant including them in attendance at the Memorial. Initially, the other sheep were not even identified as "Jehovah's Witnesses" the thinking being that only spiritual Israelites qualified. It was about 12 to 15 years after 1935 that the WTS started appointing non-anointed men to be congregation servants as well due tot he drop in numbers, Just as the majority of JWs are women, so most of the anointed were women and unqualified to be servants. God tells you through the holy spirit. All early Christians received the holy spirit and anointing at baptism. I personally believe that all Christians are anointed still. But I'm a bad JW you see.
    4. Do witnesses really believe that the org (not Jesus) is the mediator between them and God?
    The scriptures show that Jesus is the mediator between Christians and God. Because the WTS created a secondary class, it meant they had to twist or rather adjust the meaning of mediator. Since the org teachers that FDS/GB is made up of anointed and Jesus is mediator only for them, then it follows that the other sheep have to go through the FDS/GB to get to Jesus. They teach they are they only earthly channel to God. Thus ...
    5. Do witnesses not read the bible on their own, just for the sake of wanting to read it? Do they only read what is asked of them? (things that pertain to a particular article, bible study?)

Some do, but not many. Some read the scheduled chapters for the Theocratic School each week, but most are too busy with work, family, house chores, etc. Most do not know all the names of the books, the order, how many books in the OT, NT, who wrote what book, when, in spite of years of attending the school. Few have time to do what is scheduled.
    Are JW's only allowed to read the NWT or can they read KJV. I was planning to buy my mother a bible with large print (because of her vision) but I don't want to spend the money if she rejects it.
    Actually the WT quotes from various Bible translations although mostly using the NWT. If your mother has an objection to using other translations, it is her own choice or maybe a sister or brother influencing her. There is no official policy forbidding the use of other translations. The WTS has a large print version of the NWT Bible. If you have an acquaintance or relative that is a JW, you might explain why you would like to get it and that you would contribute for it (I don't know your status) or check ebay or www.alibris.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit