I am still amazed at this brotherhood

by FMZ 9 Replies latest jw friends

• FMZ
    FMZ

I was talking to a very good friend yesterday, and realized something that has been hinted on in a few other threads, but I think that this needs to be pointed out for the newbies and lurkers sake.

In the organization, we were told that if we left the "Truth", then we would have nothing and no-one to go to, we would lose this worldwide brotherhood of over 6 million people. Many of us would lose our families.

But here, in cyberspace, we have all found something very special. We have found this amazing place where we can voice our doubts, talk about our beliefs, be ourselves, and not have to worry that we will be cast out. The points of view people have taken since leaving the organization are so diverse, it covers almost the whole range. We have buddhists, christians, atheists, and countless more who are not able to be categorized, that can all get along! This is because we all have something in common, and that is that we have all at one point been hurt by the organization that we trusted most... in fact many trusted it as much as they trust God himself.

And now that we have all come to the knowledge that we have, we are out of the chains of this religion. And far from being friendless individuals that have nothing better to do with their time than stand outside a kingdom hall and picket, we are beautiful people, and even better, a family.

We have Simon, the caring father of the family. Valis, the witty uncle. Mouthy, the loving grandma (no offense meant.. hehe). Celtic, the crazy cousin. Xena and Bisous, the... partners-in-crime sisters. The list goes on, with countless other members. But just like any family we may have very different views on things, but at the end of the day, we still love each other.

An interesting comment was made by a member in chat recently, who was feeling down. Another lady in chat told him that we care about him, to which his reply was "I am just a name on the screen". Although the fact that we may never have met this person in real life may be true, that does not mean we cannot feel for him! I already love and care about many members here, even if we have not interacted... and this is because no matter what, we are still a family.

If there is one good thing the organization taught me, it is how to love my brothers and sisters, even if we have never met. This board is a true blessing to us all, in that it has provided us with a beautiful place to come; where we will be understood and accepted, no matter what.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Simon and all the moderators for the effort they put in to make this place as enjoyable as it is. You, my friends, are beacons of light in this dim world.

Thankyou all.

FMZ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ya wee b*st*rd!
    Ya never mentioned yer "strangely religious" older brother, LittleToe!!!
    (Ya know, the one that the family only whispers about, coz he spend most of his time locked up in the basement).

• Valis
    Valis

FMZ...it is glad to see you enjoying the forum and it is good to have another smiling zombie face in our midst!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Awwww, you Futher Mucking Zombie, you!!! Gone and touched my heart, you have!!! We love you too, hon!

{{{{{FMZ}}}}}

Terri

• acsot
    acsot

Ditto your comments FMZ! I would also add that, even though many of us have not met a lot of the posters here, we probably "know" each other more than lots of the people in our various Kingdom Halls knew us, including many so-called friends we thought we had. Here we can open up, express doubt, find out who we are and what we think. If things go wrong in our lives we have a place to vent on this forum, not like at the KH where we're always had to walk on eggshells.

I've learned what my own opinions are on various issues by reading a lot of the posters, the pros and cons of different questions that we never had to think about during our days as dubs, since the Borg took over our thinking for us and told us what to believe vis-a-vis abortion, creationism, euthanasia, politics, etc. etc.

We receive good recommendations on books to read, legitimate, factual websites on a variety of topics, plus we learn of countless personal dramas (and comedies) from the posters here.

I've learned that people can be diametrically opposed ideologically to another person's point of view, yet still get along. If someone is hurting, everyone is there to listen, give advice, or practical help if they are in the same vicinity. No one gets shunned for having "wrong" ideas.

I've changed soooooooo much in the last year, and much of that growth has been thanks to this forum.

Thanks to everyone, to Simon and Angharad, the mods, and to you FMZ for reminding us of how helpful this place has been.

• FMZ
    FMZ
    Ya wee b*st*rd!
    Ya never mentioned yer "strangely religious" older brother, LittleToe!!!

LT, I'm sorry.. the words to describe you escaped me................

Thankyou very much Valis and Sunny.

And Ascot, how true your comments are. We certainly have all learnt a lot here.

Thanks all for your input!

FMZ

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Wonderful comments FMZ - boy, we sure couldn't tell the book from your original cover, could we?

Lovely thoughts you expressed, and I agree.

• kat2u
    kat2u

you deserve a big hug for your wonderful thread. ((((((( )))))))))

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    In the organization, we were told that if we left the "Truth", then we would have nothing and no-one to go to, we would lose this worldwide brotherhood of over 6 million people. Many of us would lose our families.

I remember that. They would say that we were too odd to be around "worldly people" and to worldly to be around JWs. That there would be nowhere to go!

That was a lie..

I agree there is more happiness here where truth is found and shared. People who care because they want to and not because they have too.

I have found more honesty here in the last year than 12 years in the borg. Glad you have also.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

((FMZ))

Glad you're here.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit