Interesting essay on heresy and taboos

by Makena1 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Makena1
    Makena1

A long lost friend I grew up with (ex-JW for about 20 years) sent me this essayhttp://www.paulgraham.com/say.html

I particularly like this part at the end that could have application when the elders come knocking:

Viso Sciolto?I don't think we need the viso sciolto so much as the pensieri stretti. Perhaps the best policy is to make it plain that you don't agree with whatever zealotry is current in your time, but not to be too specific about what you disagree with. Zealots will try to draw you out, but you don't have to answer them. If they try to force you to treat a question on their terms by asking "are you with us or against us?" you can always just answer "neither".

Better still, answer "I haven't decided
    ." That's what Larry Summers did when a group tried to put him in this position. Explaining himself later, he said "I don't do litmus tests." [16] A lot of the questions people get hot about are actually quite complicated. There is no prize for getting the answer quickly.

Mak

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

That was VERY interesting, thank you. I just finished reading a book about similiar concepts. Under The Influence-The Destructive Effects of Group Dynamics, John D. Goldhammer. Winston posted a topic (or a reply?) about this book about a month ago. You might really enjoy it. This has been one of the most profound books that I have read in a great while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit