Does this say something about credibility?

by link 3 Replies latest jw friends

• link
    link

I have recently come to realise that although I am acquainted with a few hundred Jehovah’s Witnesses, I do not know of any who "came into the truth" who are fully qualified and working full time in the following areas: Historian, Archaeologist, Astronomer, Psychologist, Psychiatrist or any closely related subject that requires education to degree level.

I appreciate that JW’s do not encourage education to degree level and because I live in a University town I am more likely to know "worldly people" in all of the above professions.

Of the JW’s that I know who are educated to degree level and working in a profession related to their training, one is an Engineer and three are in Art subjects.

It is interesting that the professions that I have mentioned above are all ones in which "the truth" could not be accepted by any qualified person who properly investigated the claims of the Society. On the other hand the two Historians, the Archaeologist and the Astronomer that I know, are all regular church-goers (not all the same denomination) and consider themselves Christians.

Can anyone on the Board contradict my experience? It seems to me that it makes a point.

link

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Many of the JW's in my area are either working in the computer field or construction and contracting. The younger ones tend to lean more toward computers which is odd since the internet is strongly discouraged and this field does require internet usage and knowledge. Computer programming requires one to think logically too. Maybe this is why so many young ones leave.

Devon

• franklin J
    franklin J

growing up as a JW on Long Island; my parents attended the Huntington Congregation.

My parents converted as adults. My father was a college educated engineer. Most of their circle of friends as JWs were other professionals; there was even a TV producer. These others, like my folks, came into the religion after they had established their careers. In hindsight, it was a fairly well off ( financially) group.

I think everyone has their own reasons for converting.....I do not think all of them are "religious" reasons.

• rekless
    rekless

If one studies the arts and religion one often leaves the WTS; therefore, there are very few higher educated witnesses.

My daughter quit community college because she had to study history of religion.

It scared the hell out of her. She said, "It doesn't agree with our belief. My conscience won't let me go." As it is said, An educated witness is a gone witness.

I beleive it is easier to be educated; then become a witness, than it is to be a witness then get educated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit