3 things you didn't know about Rutherford

by Coded Logic 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I never realized Rutherford was so devious and delinquent.  Just found this on a debate forum:  

1) Forgery:

After C.T. Russell's death, J.F. Rutherford presented a book called: "The Finished Mystery" that was allegedly written by C.T. Russell after his death. But, according to a New York court, this was a forgery: "After his death and after we were in the war they issued a seventh volume of this series, entitled "The Finished Mystery," which, under the guise of being a posthumous work of Pastor Russell...which were not written by Pastor Russell and could not have possibly been written by him...They were proved false.(1)"

As you can see Rutherford wrote a book trying to impersonate a deceased man, it does not matter what your religious beliefs are, impersonating someone is immoral and illegal.

2) Violation of a Last Will and Testament

a) In C.T Russell's last will and testament, he willed: "As the Society has already pledged to me that it will publish no other periodicals."(2) meaning the Watchtower society. But Rutherford soon began publishing another magazine titled: "The Golden Age" in Oct 1919(3) (today's "Awake") Although he published it at first under a different publishing companies name he eventually published The Golden Age under the Watchtower.(3)

b) In addition to not publishing any new periodicals, the Watchtower had to remain separate from any religion(4) in C.T. Russell's own words: We belong to no earthly organization, hence if you should name the entire list of sects, we should answer no to each and all.(4) But under Rutherford. the Watchtower became totally under the Church of Jehovah's Witnesses and exclusively became its publishing arm.(4)

As you can see C.T. Russell had wishes in his will he clearly stipulated and were clearly violated by Rutherford.

3) ) Promoting Anti-Semitic ideologies in an organization that was dedicated to brotherly love.

Before I go any further I will reiterate that this is a debate about LEGALITY and MORALITY, not THEOLOGY there is nothing per se illegal about Mr. Rutherford's anti-Semitic actions but they were clearly immoral. also I am not here to debate about Zionism but about Mr. Rutherford.

a) While he initially was sympathetic towards Zionists as this publication states: "JUDGE RUTHERFORD, known throughout the world as a friend of the Hebrew people, is vigorously supporting the claim of the Jews to the Holy Land." (5) but later he seemed to change his mind by saying: "I'm speaking of the Palestine Jew, not the hooked-nosed, stooped shouldered little individual who stands on the street corner trying to gyp you out of every nickel you've got."(5). Hypocritical, a little bit, but I am not a person to judge anyone on hypocrisy, this however re-enforces my point that he was a swindler for he portrayed himself as pro-Zionist when it was convenient but became anti-Semitic when it was also convenient, in other words he painted a false picture to his followers regarding his views on Zionism so he could remain popular among them.

b) Also, Rutherford was a fan of the Nazis:"Instead of being against the principles advocated by the government of Germany, we stand squarely for such principles, and point out that Jehovah God through Christ Jesus will bring about the full realization of these principles." (5)

IN CONCLUSION:

J.F. Rutherford was a swindler that violated many moral standard (including his own) for he 1) forged C.T. Russell's authorship, 2) violated a legal last will and testament by illegal publishing periodicals using C.T. Russell's society and making said society sectarian despite Mr. Russell's will expressed wishes not to. 3) hypocritical on anti-Semitism and condoning the third Reich's actions, violating most moral standards.

Sources:

(1) http://books.google.com...

(2)http://www.pastor-russell.com...

(3) The Watchtower, Apr, 1 1990

(4) The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses, Heather and Gary Botting, University of Toronto Press, 1984

(5) Jehovah's Witnesses, Anti-semitism and the Third Reich: The Watch Tower Society's Attempted Compromise with Nazism By professor M. James Penton University of Lethbridge, pdf file.

Copied fromhttp://www.debate.org/debates/J.D.-Rutherford-was-a-con-man./1/

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    After C.T. Russell's death, J.F. Rutherford presented a book called: "The Finished Mystery" that was allegedly written by C.T. Russell after his death. But, according to a New York court, this was a forgery: "After his death and after we were in the war they issued a seventh volume of this series, entitled "The Finished Mystery," which, under the guise of being a posthumous work of Pastor Russell...which were not written by Pastor Russell and could not have possibly been written by him...They were proved false.(1)"

The Finished Mystery was produced by two authors who apparently used Russell's notes to do so. The two authors were Clayton Woodworth and George Fisher, both directors of the WTS. Also, they were both textbook writers for the International Correspondence School. I do not think that Rutherford ever claimed authorship of The Finished Mystery

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Rutherford was a real nasty piece of work.

Jaracz was probably his biggest fan.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In light of C Russell's last Will and Testament,  Rutherford illegally started to write his own books and literature using the WTS. printing facilities.  It sounded like Russell after his death didn't want anyone who was associated with the WTS, to author any more publications but rather to keep on distributing only what he himself authored.

Being that Rutherford was a lawyer by profession, tells of the man's integrity and respect toward Russell.

Seems like he just wanted the same public adoration and prominence that Russell had cultivated around himself .

Not to mention more money and support from the public.  

• CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor

Many old timers (both Bible Students and JWs) are aware of those three points, especially Bible Students. When these serious issues are presented to younger generation JWs, they don't care. Now, if you could wrap those facts up in a GB produced video and slap a JW.org logo on it, the kiddies would eat it up. But that aint gonna' happen.

For most old timer JWs I know, including myself, Rutherford was/is an embarrassment to them. His name makes me cringe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit