KM announcement - register with US Selective Service

by truthseeker 9 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

About twice a year, the Kingdom Ministry features an announcement about registering with the US Selective Service system.

In the March KM, the announcement reads like this...

U.S. Selective Service regulations require that all men register at the post office within 30 days after reaching 18 years of age. A male noncitizen under the age of 26 who takes up residency in the United States must also register with the Selective Service within 30 days of becoming a resident. All of those required to do so should comply with this law, viewing it as a Christian's obligation to the superior authorities. From the time he registers until the year he turns 26, a brother must notify Selective Service of any change of address within ten days of the change. Elders should be aware of young brothers nearing the age of 18 and new alien residents between the ages of 18 and 26 and remind them of their duty to register with the Selective Service System.

I have already registered with Selective Service.

What is the Selective Service registration?

http://www.sss.gov/QA.HTM#quest1

What is Selective Service registration?Registration is a way our government keeps a list of names of men from which to draw in case of a national emergency requiring rapid expansion of our Armed Forces. By registering all young men, the Selective Service ensures that a future draft will be fair and equitable.

http://www.sss.gov/mission.htm

AGENCY MISSION

The mission of the Selective Service System is:

• to provide manpower to the armed forces in an emergency; and
    • to run an Alternative Service Program for men classified as conscientious objectors during a draft.

Selective Service would provide manpower to the military by conducting a draft using a list of young men's names gathered through the Selective Service registration process. Virtually all men - ages 18 through 25 - must register. Only if there is high compliance with this law, will a future draft be fair and equitable. The obligation of a man to register is imposed by the Military Selective Service Act, which establishes and governs the operations of the Selective Service System.

The Alternative Service Program would provide public service work assignments in America's communities in lieu of military service for men classified as conscientious objectors to all military service.

Now don't get me wrong, the Selective Service system does provide an arrangement for men classified as conscientous objectors, but isn't this the same as alternative service? What kind of public work assignments would be required for the US military?

Think about it - In the 1960s, the brothers in Malawi could not even purchase a 25 cent political party card - many brothers have spent years in prison because they were not allowed to perform alternative service. The society tells us to obey the superior authorities, yet when it suits them, Christian brothers, and sisters are to disobey the law.

The Society can't have it both ways.

Registering with the Selective Service is a legal duty for all men who were born in the United States or moved here and are 25 and younger. Some benefits from registering with the Selective Service are federal grants for colleges and universities.

Some more facts about Selective Service are shown below:

What if I am over age 26 and haven't registered?Once you reach age 26, it's too late to register. Even though you may not be prosecuted, you will be denied student financial assistance, Federal job training, and most Federal employment unless you can provide convincing evidence to the agency providing the benefit you are seeking, that your failure to register was not knowing and willful.

Virtually all men must register with Selective Service. The exceptions to this rule are very few and include: nonimmigrant aliens on student, visitor, tourist, or diplomatic visas; men on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces; and cadets and midshipmen in the Service Academies and certain other U.S. military colleges. All other men must register upon reaching age 18 (or before age 26, if entering and taking up residence in the U.S. when already older than 18).
    Disabled men, clergymen, and men who believe themselves to be conscientiously opposed to war must register because there is no draft in effect, nor is there a program to classify men at this time. Should the Congress and the President reinstate a draft, a classification program would begin. Registrants would be examined to determine suitability for military service, and they would also have ample time to claim exemptions, deferments, or postponements. To be inducted, men would have to meet the physical, mental, and administrative standards established by the military services. Local Boards would meet in every American community to determine exemptions and deferments for clergymen, ministerial students, and men who file claims for reclassification as conscientious objectors.

http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

BENEFITS AND PROGRAMS LINKED TO REGISTRATION

Registration is the law. A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years.

Even if not tried, a man who fails to register with Selective Service before turning age 26 may find that some doors are permanently closed.

STUDENT FINANCIAL AID Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.

CITIZENSHIP The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.

Have any of you been told to register while you were/are still a witness?

• VM44
    VM44
    About twice a year, the Kingdom Ministry features an announcement about registering with the US Selective Service system

Why does the Watchtower think it is their responsibility to continually remind young brothers about Selective Service registration? Once in a while OK, but TWICE a year? AND, making sure the elders also get involved as well?

The WT appears to have obsession with this law!

Is the Watchtower working for the US Selelective Service system? Obeying some directive?

There are many laws to obey in the US, why is the WT so sensitive about this one?

--VM44

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Now don't get me wrong, the Selective Service system does provide an arrangement for men classified as conscientous objectors, but isn't this the same as alternative service?

Alternative service is civilian service, unlike the cases where people like the Quakers serve as medics during wartime.

: What kind of public work assignments would be required for the US military?

I did it, so I know. We were given a long list of services from which we could choose, and virtually all of them were community services and had nothing to do with the military. They included working in hospitals, being a "Big Brother" to fatherless children, working in shelters and various charities. I worked for 2 years in the Tuburculosis Association (now called the Lung Association). I stuffed envelopes, cleaned the carpets and floors, mowed the lawn and gave tests where the public blew into a thingy and the machine measured their exhalation capacity. I worked 8 hours a day, 5 days per week without pay for those two years, in lieu of facing 2 years in a Federal Prison.

Of course, the WTS changed its policy on that. Today, dubs don't have to go to trial, be convicted and take alternative military service (if it is offered) in lieu of serving prison time. They can just request the alternative military service up front if they are drafted.

The WTS told all young male dubs they must register and take the army physical, before refusing to join the army. That was true at least from the 1960s forward.

Farkel

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Thank you VM44 and Farkel!

That's an interesting experience you had there Farkel.

• heathen
    heathen

I can't believe the WTBTS uses the term it's our responsibility to the government to register . It's a deception to register for the draft and refuse service thereafter . I have known some dubs who spent time in prison during WW2 . You are right the article sounds like they are working for the selective service . Farkel I think I would prefer 2 yrs. prison time or voluntary community service over going to vietnam and with good odds of coming back in a body bag . I wonder if you were openly gay if they still wanted to draft people or make them register . I think the whole thing stinks personally . What you had were the rich people moving to canada or finding ways to stay in college or even using influece like GWjr. to be in the national guard . But by God let a poor person say hell no we won't go and you get f@&$ ed .

• no one
    no one

There are 2 bills now pending to bring back the draft: HR163 and S89. Info here:

http://thomas.loc.gov

Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 163 IH

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 163

To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 7, 2003

Mr. RANGEL (for himself, Mr. MCDERMOTT, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. STARK, and Mr. ABERCROMBIE) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in Senate)

S 89 IS

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 89

To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 7, 2003

Mr. HOLLINGS introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services

• crownboy
    crownboy

no one, both these "draft" bills are protest bills to the President's current war policies and they have no shot of passing. The idea is that if everyone (at least every young person ) had to serve in the military (particularly from rich and powerful families), then there would be a great deal more deliberation before going to war. I sympathize with what they're trying to accomplish, but I disagree with the principle of mandatory military service unless it is absolutely necessary. Besides which, even if this bill did pass Barbera and Jenna Bush would not be driving a military convoy through Tikrit anyway; they'd get into the National Guard .

• VM44
    VM44

Again I am going to quote:

About twice a year, the Kingdom Ministry features an announcement about registering with the US Selective Service system

There is only one reason I can think of for this, LEGAL PROTECTION for the Watchtower!

The Watchtower lawyers are concerned about the actions of the individual JW. So, if a JW decides not to register with Selective Service because it goes against his "Bible Trained" conscience, the WATCHTOWER wants to make sure that there 100% NO DOUBT they did not encouraged that decision!

The WT defence would be "See, we publish TWICE a year that brothers have a responsibility to register with Selective Service!, The decision not to register is the individual's alone, we had nothing to do with it!"

The reason for the obsessive KM announcements to register with Selective Service is as simple as that!

--VM44

P.S. I would guess that at some time in the past, a legal confrontation occurred between the Selective Service, and someone who refused to register, into which the Watchtower became involved. Something like that WOULD result in the WT constantly reminding brothers to register!

Maybe someone could check the KMs on the WT-CD-ROM Library to see when the emphasis on registration started.

• no one
    no one
    both these "draft" bills are protest bills to the President's current war policies and they have no shot of passing.

I merely stated what bills were pending in relation to the draft to illustrate that the situation that happened to Farkel and others in the 60s/70s may be about to occur again. And I agree with the following statement by you up to a point:

I sympathize with what they're trying to accomplish, but I disagree with the principle of mandatory military service unless it is absolutely necessary.

It should never be absolutely mandantory that someone should have to serve, regardless of your country of origin, beliefs, etc. Just because a government wiggle-worms itself thru subversive actions into a dangerous situation without consulting me (and giving me the right to vote is NOT consulting me) gives them no right to expect me to help bail them out when such decisions go awry.

However, Shrub (aka Bush) is losing popular support for US troops being in Iraq and for the decisions for this war in general. As the maimed and dead mount from this war, fewer volunteers will result. As peers with missing limbs and thousands of family members and relatives spread the negativity of war due to their own personal losses, mandantory service is a definite possibility.

As a Vietnam veteran (and I was drafted), I witnessed the visual and emotional effectiveness of loss of life/limbs on those who had yet to serve; among friends, family, and finally the nation as the death toll rose. Iraq is still a young war and, like Vietnam, this one ain't WWII either. For the most part, this nation is no longer capable of making the sacrifices that were made in the 40s. We have become too selfish. Although it's a nice catch-phrase, it's no longer 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one'.

Forgive me for turning this political. Political threads suck. I've served my time. I've killed the enemy of my country; an enemy I personally had no grievance with. If you've done the same, you'll understand my resistance to pursue this thread further.

Edited to add: apologies to heathen. It was not my intention to imply that the 'Khan' phrase was from the 40s. One other note - the word "draft" is never used in the 'bills' mentioned. Sorry if I misled.

• heathen
    heathen

no one --- the catch phrase is from star trek ,wrath of kahn . Personally I don't think the viet nam war was a national security issue but a war to stimulate the economy . I think the government abused their power by forcing people into a police action which later became known as a war . I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with the draft in my life time . It's one thing to say well I'm defending my home, loved ones and property but another to insist it's the USA responsiblity to secure peace in the world . I think this thing in the gulf will turn into a very big mistake for the US and allies . It's costing a fortune and they still have not secured the region . The Islamic factions continue to find ways to wreak havok on both Iraq civilians and US britain troops .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit