Telemarketing Scam- BEWARE

by xenawarrior 6 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Got this in my email- thought I'd share it:

Mastercard/Visa Scam:

Evidently, Mastercard and Visa have said that this scam is currently being worked throughout the Midwest, with some variance as to the product or amount, and if you are called, just hang up.

It goes like this: Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card issued by"X" bank. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?"

When you say "No", the caller continues with "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "Yes". The caller continues.... "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 800 number listed on your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control #" Then he gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Caller then says he "needs to verify that you are in possession of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers: first are 1234 (whatever), the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3 numbers."

Then he say "That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after someone was called- they called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. The REAL VISA security department told the folks it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 WAS put on the card.

What the scam wants is that 3 digit number and once the charge goes through, they keep charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then its harder to actually file a fraud report.

The real VISA reinforced that they will never ask for anything on the card (they already know).

• Soledad
    Soledad

how schiesty can these people get. it's unreal. thanks for posting this.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Thank you Soledad !!

BTT cuz Gumby didn't respond to it !!

• Maya
    Maya

Thank you xenawarrior! After having been a victim of ID theft, I really appreciate warnings like these!

Maya

• cypher50
    cypher50

The page below has more information for this scam. While it is possible that people are doing this, it probably isn't as widespread as people believe...still, definitely something you should keep your eyes out for. Also, you should be more concerned about whether your receipt for each credit card transaction has your card number & expiration date on it...it is already law in several states for card numbers to be truncated but many merchants do not know that and still have receipts printing out full card numbers. This is something MUCH more widespread (I work at a card processor so I deal with it every day) and much likelier source of identity theft then this scam. Once again, MAKE SURE YOUR RECEIPTS DO NOT HAVE THE FULL CREDIT CARD NUMBER & EXPIRATION DATE...just a small way of helping to prevent identity theft.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Yes it sure is a big problem, and people are still falling for it, they just don't think and then they end up with your credit card numbers.

Some people have been wiped out clean of their money by scams. I always say to myself if it sounds fishy don't even respond just hang up.

Orangefatcat.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Thanks XW, because Identity Theft is a bitch to clear up. It takes years and it can come back to haunt ya.

X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit