How should we deal with terrorists?

by imallgrowedup 7 Replies latest social current

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

There have been several threads lately about terrorism, and I find myself frustrated over how quickly they digress into the minutia of specific events and lose focus on the crux of the problem (I'm guilty, too!)

There are serious issues which are constantly overlooked when solutions are offered in regards to the reduction/elimination of terrorists/terrorism. These issues must be addressed in order to have a workable solution. We can address the symptoms all day long, and even argue about how we came to the point we are now facing, but they do not address the reality of what we are looking at TODAY. How do we specifically deal with:

1. Terrorists who have made public declarations to annihilate a specific race or specific group of people with different religious views. Since these terrorists are choosing to kill, and they don't care if others don't like it, how do we help them overcome their hate-motivated terrorist activities?

2. Terrorists who want revenge for alledged or real past indiscretions/atrocities? In other words, they refuse to acknowledge that the past can NOT be changed, and also feel as if they can not rest until they have meted out their own justice for past misdeeds? What kind of concessions would it take to get them to leave the past in the past?

3. Terrorists who do not place enough value on their own life so as to be willing to die at their own hands in order to make their point? (i.e. suicide bombers, 9/11 hijackers, etc.).

I am not asking these questions so people can feel justified in doing some finger pointing. This isn't about who started what, or who did what to whom, or who caused it all in the first place. This is about finding a solution that addresses the above issues in a respectful manner.

Ideas, anyone?

growedup (who is hoping everyone will be nice while discussing this)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Terrorism is a natural side effect of the worlds population coming together and working together. You will always have a very small minority that are very upset with the fact that THEIR way of life is not the dominant one. What they fail to realize is that all peaceful cultures are welcomed into the world community... instead they try to use brute force to make everyone conform to them.

All we can do is keep them at a disadvantage by cutting off their funding and resources. We will never be totally rid of them.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Eliminate the states where they are sponsored, either though bribes or through war. If they have no countries supporting them then they're going to get their finances choked away. Appeasement is probably the worst thing you can do to them. I know many of you would ask the question "What if they're using terror as a method of freedom?" and I have the answer. If they're using terroristic methods for freedom in the first place, then they're not deserving of it.

What they fail to realize is that all peaceful cultures are welcomed into the world community... instead they try to use brute force to make everyone conform to them.

All we can do is keep them at a disadvantage by cutting off their funding and resources. We will never be totally rid of them.

I actually for a change agree with Elsewhere on something political!

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"1. Terrorists who have made public declarations to annihilate a specific race or specific group of people with different religious views. Since these terrorists are choosing to kill, and they don't care if others don't like it, how do we help them overcome their hate-motivated terrorist activities?"

It's like trying to figure out why Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahlmer committed horrible, unspeakable, acts of murder, rape and rage upon their victims. Unfortunately there are some people who do not seem to value human life. What the vast majority of people see as inhumane, unacceptable, and criminal, they apparently don't.

What if a group of people in the US made public declarations of plans to annihilate African Americans, or say, Muslims, in this country? Would the logical, likely response be to try to understand what they HATE these people? No, they'd be locked up for making murderous threats. If they actually committed the crimes, they'd be criminally prosecuted. Judges and the State in general aren't going to be too concerned about the roots of their intense hatred. The same applies to terrorists.

2. Terrorists who want revenge for alledged or real past indiscretions/atrocities? In other words, they refuse to acknowledge that the past can NOT be changed, and also feel as if they can not rest until they have meted out their own justice for past misdeeds? What kind of concessions would it take to get them to leave the past in the past?

"Concessions?" I'm not sure I'm following. What "concessions" could have been made for Hitler to discourage him from attempting to anniliate an entire race of people and take over the world? Doesn't appear the terrorists are any different. These people, as Hitler, want to control the world. Destroy people whose religion and way of life they don't agree with.

3. Terrorists who do not place enough value on their own life so as to be willing to die at their own hands in order to make their point? (i.e. suicide bombers, 9/11 hijackers, etc.).

That's a tough one. Intrinsic to their willingness to die is their belief (fueled by radicals) that they will be rewarded in an afterlife by Allah for the "heroic" acts they do, which of course includes murdering innocent men, women, babies. It's a religious/fascist/warped view that motivates them. As those of us who are recovered JW's know, those religious beliefs are hard to change.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oh, and I forgot to offer a solution... IMO, the only way to counter terrorist atrocities is to send messages LOUD and CLEAR that such acts will NEVER work on a civilized world. Abidication and concessions simply encourage them more. We need to step up protection, continue to find and prosecute them as criminals of human rights. We need to infiltrate their cells and actively seek to cut off their funding.

Our system of government is not based upon "understanding" why people break laws, why they murder (although sure, some people study those things). Is based on protecting society and punishing lawbreakers. That works to discourage people. It's also NOT based upon tyranny. It's not based upon terroristic activities.

• shotgun
    shotgun

1) Take several families where the hatred is not there or weak and have them do a survivor but be on the same team...

2) Have a large number of children from opposing factions put into schools together starting at age three, they could be taught world history, economics..etc but not issues dealing specifically with their own backgrounds. I'm really not sure how to do it but the cycle of hatred has to stop...parents teaching their children....how do you do that?

• heathen
    heathen

I think one thing the US government can do is stop arming and training them . Bin laden was a product of US intervention as well saddam hussein and fidel castro .

other than that we can all pray for Gods kingdom to end all wickedness.

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

We should dead with them as enemy combatants, following the Geneva Convention. I do think, however certain exceptions could be made.

For example, I'd love to watch Osama be vivisected on live international TV when that piece of vermin is finally detained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit