The Bible

by particlesnwaves5 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• particlesnwaves5
    particlesnwaves5

In the Friends Forum a topic was brought up about what belief made persons leave the organization. While certain witness beliefs did cause me to doubt, I think learning certain facts about the Bible was what made me finally leave. I think it would be interesting, while controversial, to have an intense conversation about the Bible and whether it is concretely true or not. The Witnesses do use the Bible as the source of most of their most cherished beliefs, while the correct interpretation of these texts is up for debate, also.

Is the Bible actually mythology and how could this view be helpful to the reader? Can a person still be inspired by the Bible if he/she recognises that quite a bit of it is embellishment and mythology?

Can a literal interpretation lead to crazy making and neurotic behavior?

Is the Bible superior to other religious holy writings?

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

My veiw is the bible is true, but it is pro Jehovah propaganda from Jehovah's own version of the FDS called angels. Since they don't have qualms about lieing to humans they spin us the bible so people God likes get annexed from Satan Enoch style and ones he realy hates are painted into a corner like Herod. I believe they are active today just as malevolent, just as covert.

Is the Bible actually mythology and how could this view be helpful to the reader? Can a person still be inspired by the Bible if he/she recognises that quite a bit of it is embellishment and mythology?

The bible helps because it does show you glimpses of God. The "mythology" is angel spin. You can tell because God fades in and out of the stories. It is not his dictation. Some is not even holy writing it is things that belong in an almanac.

Yes, but as JWs don't take the bible litterally. They try to spin the angel spin which causes trouble.

It is superior in carrying out Gods will but it is not very eloquent in places people claim it is. Heck it is Gods personal "Triumph of the Will".

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

The Bible is a 2000 page sleeping pill!!!

When will you yall get it!!!

Its a meaningless book like a Koran, Book of Mormon, Chevy small block rebuilt book!!!

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

"You don't scare me! Work on it."

• yxl1
    yxl1
    The bible helps because it does show you glimpses of God

I couldnt disagree more. My view is that it does the complete opposite. The Biblical version of God and his exploits doesnt really tally up. I just cant see a god who created everything would be that petty and small minded.

Yes and yes. The gnostic view of the gospel accounts is more mythology than historical and yet they had no problem being inspired by its tales. People can be inspired by anything.

• particlesnwaves5
    particlesnwaves5

>>Its a meaningless book like a Koran, Book of Mormon, Chevy small block rebuilt book!!! >>

I think that was really clever, Got my forty!

I like to read works by Joseph Campbell, mythologist. He wrote that people would get much more out of the Bible if they would quit reading it as literal and realize much of it is myth. He felt that buried in many religious myths are essential truths that inspire all humankind. He got a lot of his ideas from the Psychiatrist Jung who claimed we all have access to a universal unconscious. From this spring universal symbols and would explain why certain symbols are to be found in many different cultures in diverse places.

I have trouble with this though, because of some of the ideas that are found in many religious works, like the Bible. I think the Bible espouses a very distorted view of women and the relationship between men and women. I think the Bible does elevate one race as God's chosen people. But then there are some beautiful scriptures that do seem to let the light of a Great Higher Power shine through. The scripture about God not being partial and that anyone may approach is a good example. Some of the Psalms are beautiful. However rereading the Psalms, I did see many that had violent or judgemental overtones. I like the books of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes which contain much practical wisdom. Proverbs 8 is a wonderful metaphor for wisdom and its relationship with the Great Spirit.

• particlesnwaves5
    particlesnwaves5

<<The bible helps because it does show you glimpses of God. The "mythology" is angel spin. You can tell because God fades in and out of the stories. It is not his dictation. Some is not even holy writing it is things that belong in an almanac.

Yes, but as JWs don't take the bible litterally. They try to spin the angel spin which causes trouble>>

X--I read your topic on angels and then this. While I think you might have some points I think you are getting a little carried away about it. You are reminding me of a relative who when he is overstressed perserverates on certain subjects and if he is really stressed starts imagining that the tv and magazines are sending him personal messages. My relative actually is on to some truth sometimes but it is hard to take in his intenseness.

Joseph Campbell would say the problem here is that you are reading these myths as literal concrete events.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes
    I couldnt disagree more. My view is that it does the complete opposite. The Biblical version of God and his exploits doesnt really tally up. I just cant see a god who created everything would be that petty and small minded.

I feel that is why he is "petty and small minded" God is like a rich kid that inheirits a multibillion dollar company. He has to force himself to behave. Its is all spelled out in the bible. Thats the glimpses I am talking about the true God whom really is like a infinitely powerful uber man. We are basically his pets and nothing more. People want God to be nice, and rightous because it is hard for them to be unconditionally humble and subserviant. They paint God as better than even he says he is, just to sleep at night.

• particlesnwaves5
    particlesnwaves5
    >>I couldnt disagree more. My view is that it does the complete opposite. The Biblical version of God and his exploits doesnt really tally up. I just cant see a god who created everything would be that petty and small minded. >> I have to agree with you that many Bible accounts show exactly that kind of God. The Book of Job is a good example if taken literally. The dude who God struck dead for steadying the Ark is another. I think those really show an anthromorphic God. Me:
    >>>Is the Bible actually mythology and how could this view be helpful to the reader? Can a person still be inspired by the Bible if he/she recognises that quite a bit of it is embellishment and mythology? >>>

>>Yes and yes. The gnostic view of the gospel accounts is more mythology than historical and yet they had no problem being inspired by its tales. People can be inspired by anything. >> Y--that is funny, sad and true.
  • A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Is the Bible actually mythology and how could this view be helpful to the reader?

Contains mythology - helpful to learning

Can a person still be inspired by the Bible if he/she recognises that quite a bit of it is embellishment and mythology?

Isn't any adventure book inspiring ?

More than that, nasty too - and crazy enough to dump your family, or, even kill your kiddies

Holy is holy - Do you mean "other writings" ? or perhaps "other sacred writings"?

"be careful about HOW you hear, because to the person who already has something more will be given"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit