Politics - What to think of them.....

by desib77 8 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

I was raised as a JW. Didn't leave until I was around 19 years old. I've found that I know nothing about politics because of my upbringing. I don't really even have much of an interest in them. I wish that weren't the case. I'm so thankful to be living in a free country that I feel I should do more to participate.

Are there any of you that feel like that due to a JW background? Have any of you changed your way of thinking? What helped you to do so?

Desi

• Badger
    Badger

There are LOTS of xjw's with STRONG political feelings...me, patio, yeru, simon, czar, ColdRedRain.....

Just another way of celebrating our freedom!

• talesin
    talesin

For the longest time, I felt the same way. I felt disdainful of politicians, that they were all liars, voting was useless, etc.

Then I realized that this was a leftover from the WTB&TS. I was now "part of the world" and it's MY WORLD. That got me thinking about what I could do to make it better, since I was no longer shut off from the rest of society. Which led me to volunteering, helping out in my community.

It takes time. Read about things, don't just listen to the mainstream. Take the time out to form your own opinions, cause that's what you have gained, freedom to think the way YOU determine. It took time to figure out what mattered to me, cause for so many years I had been TOLD what mattered to me.

It's another of life's adventures that you have been denied. In time, you will find your niche.

talesin

• Carmel
    Carmel

When I enrolled in college, I chose Political Science as a major with the intention of going to law school and eventually considering running for political office. Kind of like many Xjws binging on booze and drugs. I emersed myself in politics, ran a campaign for a local county commissioner (he won) and took it very seriously for about three years. Fortunately my skepticism from early child hood dubby life, forced me to look at all the assumptions and compare reality with theory. Virtually everyone I have ever met prior to entering the political arena does so with good intent. 100% if elected turn into complete asses! No exception! Getting re-elected, doing right by the heavy contributors, etc. took over their lives and they lost their groundings and values, or their true values surfaced!!

I'd say go get involved, but visit all political camps and see how they are all alike in how they castigate and exagerate the positions of the "other guys". when you are all done, me thinks you will see that the American political system is much like religion. It takes over your life; you see things from a singular point of view; reality is re-defined and you become a person you don't like. the longer you are "political" the harder it is to admit that the investment in time and energy is to great to walk away from...sound familiar??

carmel

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'm always interested in politics. Basically all it took was something that I believed in, I didn't agree with the Iraq war and that got me REALLY into politics. When I first left I would just vote to vote but now I'm "trying to change the world". Wish there was actually some politician who could do it.

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

I had a professor when I was in college tell me in much more eloquent terms than I can presently relate that the government we have is the government we allow -- that in essence the people are the government.

I was raised as a JW and hence and had an unhealthy skepticism of all things "worldly." (I left the witnesses at 18; unbeknownst to me this attitude didn't leave me for many years until I finally became cognizant of it and worked to bring it from my subconscious mind into my conscious realm of thought or view of the world.)

That being said, I have been very politically active since leaving the JW's. I left in 1996 and have voted in ever election since then. I've contributed to election campaigns, local and national, both with time and money. I too opposed the war in Iraq and took part in organizing and carrying out quite a few anti-war protests.

This is a bit off subject but this discussion reminds me of an old Beatles song the words to which are: "in the end the love you give is equal to the love you get." I think that same principle applies to politics. The political system or change that you try to work to get is the political system or change you'll eventually get -- but change is usually incremental and I think that's all we can really hope for. I know I'm not trying to save the word, just make it a little better.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Yes, I also spent the first 2/3's of my life in political oblivion. I think it had EVERYTHING to do with my JW upbringing; be no part of the world, everything and everyone are in Satan's hands. Back then, we weren't even allowed to vote for class president...that may be true now as well.

I think the longer you are out and the more life experiences you have, you'll likely start following the political landscape.

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

It's nice to finally agree with you on something blacksheep, lol.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Desib77,

This is a good topic. I was hopeless when I left JWs about understanding politics. Lol, who understands it? But you know with the internet available, there is so much information for us! And we can access other countries' news and opinions too. You can quickly read the right, the left, the middle, Libertarians, etc.

I used to read quite a bit every morning and read less time now. Plus, there is so much going on in the US right now. Someone quipped that there's one thing for sure that Bush has done: made people more interested in politics!

It's good to have a part in the world we live in, isn't it?

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit