Running for Congress....vote for me

by Atilla 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

Ok, I'm not running right now but in the future I may decide to run for congress, most likely at the state level or maybe even at a national level. I'm only 24 right now and I'm still going to college to become a history teacher. However, maybe when I'm older, say 35, I will try to run for some political office. I'm not even sure which political party I would run for. I would probably just pick the side left or right which gave me the best chance of winning in my district.

However, I wonder if my JW past could come back to haunt me? I know as a politician, it is good to have some religious cover, it's just the nature of the beast. Although, I'm not sure what people might think if they knew I was a JW, especially if it came out that I never formally DA'd myself. Often perception is reality in politics, so my past association with dubs could potentially be damaging. This potential damage is one of the reasons why I would like to write an official DA letter but I also have to contend with my parents who are still JW's. I haven't been to a meeting in over three years having decided to just fade but this might not be enough for people, especially in the political arena. Who knows, would this be a big issue, would you vote for me?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Depending on what party you're running in, it won't be a factor. In fact, the JW thing might help you with liberal voters.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, it could, but there is always some way of distancing yourself. Eisenhower managed to get by the stigma of being raised as a Witness.

Unfortunately, most politicians make a show out of their religious devotion. So, if you don't already belong to a church, you might find it politically expedient to join one.

• ColdRedRain
  • Carmel
    Carmel

You'll make a dandy politician. Doesn't matter to you which party, just that you get elected. There are several words for this type thinking, opportunist being one, sophist another. Its the very unprincipaled approach that you describe that permiates the present political landscape and why so many are opting out of the whole sorry mess. Partisan politics is becoming more and more for the politicians and less and less for the good of the electorate.

Have at it my friend. I'm sure your image consultant will be able to position you correctly when the time comes.

caveman, of the "been there, done that" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit