Son's childhood friend was beaten nearly to death

by seeitallclearlynow 9 Replies latest jw friends

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

We were so horrified. I haven't been so disturbed in a long time. The poor kid had his face broken in 8 places, body beaten to a pulp and was left to die in an alley. OMG we were both so shaken.

But after fearing the worst, a phone call to the mother's house was helpful; he was already home from the hospital, jaw wired, plates inserted in face, badly swollen but able to speak.

Sorry, but I just thanked God. The poor kid had a pretty "cold" upbringing and has done more than his share of bullying others according to my son. He had become an alcoholic and minor criminal at an early age, although raised in a JW (more or less) household. Both parents were troubled in their own ways, and divorced when the boys were young teens.

Oh well; I hope the best for this young man and hope he will be all right, physically and psychologically.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Sorry to hear this.... The voilence going on with the young is saddening, I cant remember it like that in my day ( a long time ago I know) Hope it will teach him that what you do to others has a way of boomaranging back. ( if it was true that he was a bully)

• Mary
    Mary
    He had become an alcoholic and minor criminal at an early age, although raised in a JW (more or less) household. Both parents were troubled in their own ways, and divorced when the boys were young teens.

This sentence here goes a long way in explaining his behaviour. It sounds as though he was raised as a half-assed JW, just like me. His parents weren't really active in the congregation too much, so he probably wasn't accepted by his peers within the congregation. On the other hand, he probably wasn't allowed to do any "worldly" things either and probably wasn't allowed to have worldly friends. So he was living in limbo, belonging nowhere. You say both parents were "troubled in their own ways" which means it was more than likely, a very dysfunctional family even without the religion thrown in. Add to that a divorce and the effect that has on kids and it's no wonder this guy became an alcoholic, bully and criminal at an early age.

I feel sorry for him and sorry that he was beaten like that. He needs counselling or therapy or something, poor kid. If he doesn't get it, his life will spin right out of control until something even worse happens.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Did you find out why or who did this to him? Its sad people resort to this type of violence in order to get their point across. I mean all me and my sister did was pull hair and try to choke each other. Ok, I did use her sweater to wash the walls once, too.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

*shudders*

What a ghastly and sad story. I do hope the child will be all right.

Do you know how old he is? Do you know who did this to him?

This is just awful. I am so sorry to hear about this.

growedup

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Thanks, Mouthy, Mary, imallgrowedup and simplesally, I appreciate your kindness.

It is very sad and I don't have too many details, except that it was someone they've known for many years, going back to middle school. We even have the name of one of the men who beat him; there were several who jumped him. (The one who was beaten so badly is about 21). I don't know what caused the problem to escalate to the point it did, but with a name, there must be an arrest, so more details will be forthcoming.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how he gets along.

• Sassy
    Sassy

How horrible.. I sure hope he is going to be ok!

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Thanks, Sassy, me too. I'll let you know. I feel so sorry for his mother. She's a sweet lady.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi SIACN,

How horrible and upsetting! That will take you and your son some time to adjust to. The poor kid too!

All the best,

Pat

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Thanks, patio, I ask my son everyday for an update, as I never knew the family anywhere nearly as well as the kids did. One of their mutual friends went to visit earlier this week, and he seems about the same so far; he did comment that my son had called him, which makes my son think it meant something to him to have received the concerned phone call. (Such a "tough guy" - hides his feelings.)

I called today for myself, and talked to his mother, and that was very reassuring. He had major surgery on his jaw and is now wired and has the plates installed. The swelling has gone down and he is able to eat soft food.

Turns out it was only one man who beat him, and the family have filed charges against him. It was a long-term grudge that resulted in this terrible attack. The sheriff's department says it will take awhile for them to act on the charges because they have 100's of cases just like this!!! OMG what a place. Probably the same here, I just don't know about it. They are going to file a restraining order and they have to take the guy to Small Claims Court for the medical costs.

Makes such a vicious attack sound so trivial, telling a victim he has to take his would-be killer to "Small Claims" court.

My son is going out there to see him this afternoon (after service, yuck), and he will update me.

The mother is very sweet, as I said earlier, and she sounded good, so her boy must be on the mend. She must be too. That's good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit