Operation Set Next Month

by Sentinel 3 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Finally, today, we not only got our "second opinion" about the large cyst in hubby's chest, but the Thoracic surgeon has set the surgery for it's complete removal, a month from today. We are so very relieved at this point. He is a qualified doctor that actually took time to listen to us and answer all our concerns. This has gone on now since right before Christmas--when he took a fall, and the x-rays not only showed two broken ribs, but this mass in his chest, the diameter of a softball, and about nine inches long!! Further tests indicate that it is growing and "appears to be fluid", so cancer is very unlikely.

I highly recommend the Winchester Medical Center in VA; it is clean, orderly and respectful of the patient and family. He will be there one week and then back home to recooperate for six to eight weeks. We are thankful he has built up his sick leave so he can still get paid while missing work. Also, we are thankful for our good insurance coverage through Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

The doctor told us that he believes hubby's lungs, bronchial tubes and heart will be very happy indeed to have this "creature" removed. They will have lots more room! This condition of "brochial-genic cyst" is very rare. The fetus developes the bronchial tubes, and the lungs are formed--and then there is this other growth that is neither lung nor bronchia, but continues to survive for some unknown reason--attached mainly to the bronchial tube. He's had this in him forty-nine years!!

Just wanted to let friends know the latest update.

/<

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was just thinking about asking you how your husband was doing. I am so glad you posted an update. I have been wondering what the progress was. I can see how getting it removed will be a relief and it sounds like it will relieve pressure for him too!

Keep us updated!

• Xandria
    Xandria

WOW! I am glad he is getting that thing out of him.

X.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Thanks so much Sassy and Xandria. I've been waiting, because there just wasn't any real news.

He wants to ask the doctor if we could keep it. Does that sound weird? I must admit, I'm curious about it myself. It's just a part of him that he carried around for so long, and he wants to have it.

They will probably send it away for testing anyway. So I doubt there wouldn't be much left--since it is fluid filled.

Hopefully, during this next four weeks, his other problem in his abdomen will have additional time to heal. Not quite sure what it is, but doctor thinks it's not so much a Ventral Hernia, but torn tissue/muscle/scar tissue from prior gullbladder surgery years ago. He doesn't want to do an exploratory along with the removal of the cyst, which is probably wise.

The love and compassion of my friends here is most heartwarming.

Karen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit