Dealing With Kids Who Are Still In The ORG

by Hunyadi 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

I have three kids, who, just like me, have been raised in the org since birth. The oldest, 17, and the youngest, 12, are relieved not to have to go to meetings and field service. They have often complained long before I apostatized, that they hated the hypocricy in the org. They saw things with their own eyes, and I think they are smart and strong.

The middle child, however, she is 14, expressed to me last night some sorrowful emotion over some of the issues I have discussed with them over the weeks. She is obviously torn and confused, for she said to me, "Dad, this is all I have ever known, and it hurts to think that it all might be a lie".

It hurts me so deeply that she in in such conflict. It is hard for me to know how to talk to her, but this is what happened . . .

I asked her, "you know when you go out in field service and knock on people's doors ,what do you normally say?"

She thought for a moment then replied, " I say, 'hello, my name is XXXXXX, and I am a Bible student. We are in your neighborhood sharing a scriptural thought with you and your neighbors . . . '".

I then asked, "who are you really and what is it you are really doing in their neighborhood?"

She again thought for a moment.

I went ahead and offerred, "hello, I am XXXXX. I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I am here to sell you a magazine and tell you that everything you think and believe is a big lie. I am also here to try and start a Bible study with you and get you to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses like me . . . "

She kept thinking . . .

I followed up with, "Wouldn't saying that be closer to the truth than what they tell you to say at the Service Meetings?"

"Yes", she agreed.

"It must be very hard for someone to hear that what they think and believe is wrong. Basically, the JW's have been doing that for years to other people", I added. "Your hope is that they will agree with you and change what they believe, and that is the hardest thing for a person to do".

I explained to her a little more about the UN issue and what it really means to someone in "the Truth". HOw the GB has always condemned the UN as the Wild Beast and as Satan's organizational conspiracy against God's Kingdom. Then, they joined up and signed an application stating they would uphold and support the UN Charter's ideals and purposes. The WTBTS has always condemned other religions as The Great Harlot for fornicating with the nations, then the WTBT secretly goes and does the very same thing. I asked her if she noticed the WTBTS is no longer hot to condemn the UN.

I touched on the blood issue and how the WTBTS's interpretation of that one scripture spawned the needless deaths of thousands faithful JW's. "How would you feel if your sister had have died last year for refusing a transfusion in keeping faithful with the Society's edict on blood, then today, you opened your new WT and read how JW's could now accept blood components? She would have lived if the "new light" had have arrived earlier. She would still be here knocking on doors with you. You would rightly feel betrayed and hurt and angry. This is exactly how thousands of JW's and former JW's feel after needlessly losing a loved one to death all because blood in any form was forbade to them by the Governing Body.

I introduced the child molestation issue to her now. I explained the two or more witness rule and how many child molesters in the organization have gotten away with it scott-free because the org was protecting them. She was incredulous. So, I asked her to recall when she was living in her mother and stepfather's (JW) home how the elders dealt with them when Mom and stepdad were acting crazy and abusive. I asked, "did they protect and defend you? Or did they crack open the Bible to basically tell you to stop crying about it and explain what YOU could do to make the family life more peaceful and harmonious? They sort of ignored the real issues and problems in the household didn't they? They caused you to feel at fault for the hypocricy and fanaticism in the home, didn't they. No one brother or sister intervened on you and your sisters' behalf, and you got relief only when I intervened and took it to the worldly courts, isn't that correct? Well, this is basically how the GB has dealt with victims of child molestation in the org. They forbade parents and children to go to the authorities and they would do nothing since there was only one witness to the crime. They tell us that Jehovah will deal with and correct the situation. I explained how the GB changed the policy on this only after getting sued for protecting child molesters. The elders now have to report the incident to the worldly authorities . . .

We will have many more discussions on these things, I know. It will be a while until she can accept the truth about the truth, and she will inevitably be persecuted if she should raise the question to her mother, stepfather or any other in the congregation. I use the scriptures and the WTBTS's own words from publications to show their lies and hypocricy, but I don't press too hard. She is smart and she will come to accept, and she will know that it is OK to question her religion just as she asked so many others to do at the door.

Anyone with experiences and advice, please help.

Sincerely,

Corvin

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I think you handled that very well. When i took my kids out they were 10 and 7. They didnt question me but my ex would keep bugging them to MAKE me go to meetings....

they would resent that pressure he put on them and eventually stopped talking to him. It seems to me when all the smoke clears they are really releaved to not have the weight of "saving the world" on their shoulders.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Nicely done - a very effective anti-cult vaccination.

I, too, periodically have discussions with my son (he's 16). I will pick a topic and we will discuss it in depth. For example, a while ago we talked about the logical flaws in the blood doctrine. I specifically wanted to get him clear on that issue, because some day it could kill him, if he doesn't understand it fully.

This got us going on the subject of logically flawed arguments (he's a pretty smart and well read kid). So, I put together an article for him that describes several common logical fallacies and provided examples from the Society's writing.

Tonight, I plan on showing him an excerpt from the book, "Caribean", by James Mitchener. I came accross it a while ago. One of the characters asks a question about religions that use Daniel and Revelation to prove their point (nothing to do with Witnesses, he is talking about Rastifarians). The debate recorded in the book is quite priceless and applies beautifly to JWs.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Finalist, Father of the Year contest. Good work, hunyadi.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit