The thankless life of the Big Dog

by Thunder Rider 5 Replies latest social current

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

There is always somebody that wants what you have, unwilling to do what it takes to get it legaly.
    It leaves us feeling threatened and vulnerable.

So we get a big dog to protect our homes, property, and in extreem instances, our lives.
    That one Big Dog can and does often provide a sense of security for homes close to the dog's owners home.

Sure, the would-be-intruder, need fear personal injury most on breaking inot the dog owners home, but even just a barking dog can deter intruders, and protect the adjoining homes in the neighborhood.

Having the big dog comes at a cost, feeding it, cleaning up after it, and filling in the holes it digs. Only the owner is burdened with these tasks. These tasks are usually done with much bitching and complaining, the Big Dog is only doing what it does. The neighbors complain that the Big Dog barks too much, or about the less than pristine condition of the dogs back yard. Seldom do they express appreciation for the dog's presence as a deterence to crime.

If there were no "bad guys" we wouldn't need the Big Dog. Be that as it may, I'll gladly pooper scoop, fill in the holes in the yard and ignore politely the neighbors complaints. It is a small price to pay for a relative sense of safety in my world.

We can't all carry a sword.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Me, too, Thunder! I remember the time when I had moved into a large 3 BR house near a park....there were a series of breaking and enterings where women were being raped....evidently the perp was "stalking" them and finding out their habits and lifestyles before doing the "deed".....being a single parent, I opted to get a dog, so went to the local animal shelter....

Lo and behold, they had dogs of all sizes, types and shapes.....it was hard to choose.....but one dog cocked his head and grinned at me when he saw me looking thru the glass into their cage outside.....I picked him, a white shepherd with black around his lips and eyes.....that night when I took him outside to do his "business" I saw a man standing under a tree in front of the corner house in the next block.....he was smoking a cigarette, so I saw his ciggie fire....he was watching us......it wasn't long till our dog bonded with us and one night not long after, in the middle of the night, our dog jumped up on my daughter's bed, raging and barking at someone in the driveway beside my daughter's bedroom window....we never had any break-ins....

He stayed outside during the day, but came in at night.....Wonderful security system!

Frannie B

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Yep, gotta love our big dog.

Just the other night I no sooner get into bed, it's after 11:00 and all of a sudden I hear her barking at the front door. She has never done that before, so I was kind of rattled when I went down stairs to see what she was barking at. I looked outside to see if I could see anyone. I'm sure there was somebody out there in our front yard but her barks made them run.

Our neighbours have commented that when they hear our little terrier outside barking they never look to see what's going on but when they hear our big dog Lady bark, they'll pay attention as she normally barks, when she senses danger, or somebody walking by the home that doesn't belong in the neighbourhood.

They are a great sense of security.

cj

• simplesally
    simplesally

My dog is like SuperDog, except I call him Samson the Party Dog, because he can climb fences, open gates and has broken a weakened fence, he even tries chewing thru the fence. He is so good with my daughter and really lovely to be around except for his wandering ways. He always comes back, unless a neighbor has called the pound which is rare, mostly he goes right into the backyard of a neighbor with 2 dogs, and now they said, he comes in thru the doggie door with them. Thank god he is a friendly dog...........and the neighbors like him. They want to keep him.

But I would miss the security of having him bark at strangers and I have been approached by a man the dog didn't know (I knew the man which was why he was making a bee line towards me) in a parking lot when suddenly Samson stopped dead in his tracks and barked fiercely at this man. Sam was fine with passerbys and others walking, but this man who was very tall, was walking straight at me, looking at me, etc..I was so proud of my dog since he didn't know this stranger.

Anyway, in an effort to keep him, I purchased a wireless radio fence. Ha! He can't leave the front yard or hop that back fence anymore! It sure is nice having him roam the yard again instead of being shuttled from the dog run to the garage.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

I was thinking that the neighbors who benefit from my big dogs attention to duty, ought to bone up and kick in for food and doggy treats. Seems only fair to me.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

So you think that perhaps a dog that licks the robber and cuddles with him is not as effective?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit