Looking for "new light" info late 1996 or 1997

by talesin 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

Does anyone know if there was "new light" presented in late 1996 or 1997 that would be reason for someone to leave the WTS or step down as an elder?

I have a personal reason for wanting to know.

Thanks

talesin

• shotgun
    shotgun

New Light was presented in 96 on alternative mititary service which allowed ones to use their conscience and decide if civilian service was offered in place of military they could do this without repercussion. Before this it was considered the same as military service and tens of thousands endured prison time.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/66802/1.ashx

• Mulan
    Mulan

Late '95 was the big new light..................sheep and goats, generation. I think it was October 15 or maybe November 15.

• talesin
    talesin

shotgun

tks, but that wouldn't apply

mulan

Will check out those issues, thanks

tal

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

I remember hearing conversations in which it was believed that because this generation (1914) would by no means pass away, that some or many of the annointed JW's would be alive and on hand to help direct us in the new system of things.

Here is something interesting I found:

wt 5/15/97 page 19

"The

Generation . . . to Come"

The anointed remnant has been eager to train other sheep for increased responsibilities. Psalm 71:18 says: "Even until old age and gray-headedness, O God, do not leave me, until I may tell about your arm to the generation, to all those who are to come, about your mightiness." Commenting on this verse, the December 15, 1948, Watchtower pointed out that the congregation of anointed Christians had certainly reached old age. It went on to say that the anointed happily "look forward in the light of Bible prophecy and see a new generation." To whom particularly is this referring? The Watchtower said: "Jesus spoke of them as his ?other sheep.?" ?The generation to come? refers to humans who will live under the new earthly administration governed by the Kingdom of the heavens.

The Bible does not clearly say when all anointed Christians will leave their brothers of this ?generation to come? and go on to be glorified along with Jesus Christ. But these anointed ones are confident that the time for this is approaching. The events foretold in Jesus? great prophecy about "the time of the end" have been coming to pass since 1914, showing that the destruction of this world is near. (Daniel 12:4; Matthew 24:3-14; Mark 13:4-20; Luke 21:7-24) Soon, Jehovah will usher in a new world in which ?the generation to come? will ?inherit the kingdom [the earthly realm] prepared for them from the founding of the world.? (Matthew 25:34) They are thrilled to anticipate the restoration of Paradise and the raising of millions of dead ones from Hades. (Revelation 20:13) Will anointed ones be there to welcome back these resurrected ones? Back in 1925, the May 1 Watch Tower said: "We should not arbitrarily say what God will or will not do. . . . [But] we are led to the conclusion that the members of the Church [anointed Christians] will be glorified before the resurrection of the ancient worthies [faithful pre-Christian witnesses]." Similarly discussing whether some of the anointed would be on hand to welcome back the resurrected ones, the September 1, 1989, Watchtower said: "This would not be necessary."

True, we do not know what will happen in the case of each anointed Christian. But the presence of Moses and Elijah with Jesus in the transfiguration vision indicates that resurrected anointed Christians are expected to be with Jesus when he comes in glory to "recompense each one according to his behavior" as his judgment is rendered and executed. Further, we remember Jesus? promise that anointed Christians who ?conquer? will share with him in ?shepherding the nations with an iron rod? at Armageddon. When Jesus comes in glory, they will sit with him "judging the twelve tribes of Israel." With Jesus, they will ?crush Satan under their feet.??Matthew 16:27?17:9; 19:28; Revelation 2:26, 27; 16:14, 16; Romans 16:20; Genesis 3:15; Psalm 2:9; 2 Thessalonians 1:9, 10.

In keeping with his administration of things, Jehovah is progressively moving "to gather all things together again in the Christ." As far as "the things in the heavens" are concerned, his purpose approaches completion. The uniting of Jesus with all the 144,000 in heaven for "the marriage of the Lamb" is near. Hence, more and more longtime, mature brothers of the other sheep, representing "the things on the earth," have had delegated to them weightier responsibilities in support of their anointed brothers. What exciting times we live in! How thrilling to see Jehovah?s purpose moving on to its fulfillment! (Ephesians 1:9, 10; 3:10-12; Revelation 14:1; 19:7, 9) And how the other sheep rejoice to support their anointed brothers as both groups serve together as "one flock" under "one shepherd" in subjection to the King, Jesus Christ, and to the glory of the great Universal Sovereign, Jehovah God!?John 10:16; Philippians 2:9-11.

It looks as though, and I could have missed a few issues (lol) that since all the oldtimers are no longer here on earth, they have put some of the responsibility on the other sheep . . . lol, who else could they put it on?

Anyone, anyone????

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

About that time there were several letters to the Elders dealing with the situation/status of Elders and Ministerial Servants where it was known that they had been guilty of child molestation in the past but that had been reappointed. We didn't have anybody in that category, but I think that the Society wanted to know the details on such a person, and if the Elders felt he was somebody that, to put it bluntly I guess was "reliable" and unlikely to commit that particular henious sin.

I recall at least two letters on this issue, a second clarifying the first.

Anyway, to address your specific question, an Elder who had been guilty in the past of molestation, even though he had "repented", been removed, built his "reputation" back up, and gotten re-appointed as an Elder might have had to step down if there were current questions raised about him in this connection.....

Not sure if this helps....

---Dan

• the mole
    the mole

new light? this is an excuse to make change to doctrine and nothing more..i remember when 1986 came it was new light that the worlds end didnt come but will come later..so when 1994 came when the oldest man to live died passed new light came again then the generation of 1914 more new light came..new light again came when nothing happend after 2000 passed..the org will always have new light as long as fools believe that something is always around the corner..

• talesin
    talesin

hunyadi, dannnyboy

Thanks, actually both of these points may help with my investigation. Thanks.

the mole

Yes, I agree with you. I am looking for a reason that one of them may have stepped down. "New light" imo would have been a good reason. Thanks for your input.

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit