Has the watchtower always claimed that Jesus is the Son of God?

by Hyghlandyr 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

OK well here is the deal. My S.O.'s father has continued to insist to me that the JW teaching that Jesus is god's son is a new teaching among them and that they used to not teach that. Now I've read old literature and know better. I explained to him the confusion with most folks is that they think of son of god as being synonomous with being god, at least part of the trinity. Jws of course do not believe and thus do not teach that. THus this often leads to confusion on the part of non-jws. Which also causes the non-jw to be considered part of satan's visible organization since they are obviously lying about the witnesses, (in the mind of the witness).

I am thus looking for quotes from watchtower literature from different eras, all the way back, to demonstrate that they have always claimed jesus is the son of god. If they ever claimed anything else I would like those quotes as well.

Thanks.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, from the beginning the WTS taught that Jesus was the son of God, calling it a "great truth" from this quote from the WTS own historical account.

Proclaimers Book 707 31 How Chosen and Led by God
    The quest for Scriptural understanding by C. T. Russell and his associates was fruitful. As lovers of truth, they believed that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) They rejected the evolutionary ideas of Darwin and the faith-destroying views of higher critics of the Bible. Accepting the Scriptures as supreme authority, they also rejected as unscriptural the teachings of the Trinity, immortality of the soul, and eternal torment?doctrines with pagan religious roots. Among the "great truths" that they accepted were that Jehovah is the Creator of all things, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who gave his life as a ransom for others, and that at his return Jesus would be invisibly present as a spirit creature. (Matt. 20:28; John 3:16; 14:19; Rev. 4:11) They also understood clearly that man is a mortal soul.?Gen. 2:7; Ezek. 18:20.
  • blondie
    blondie

*** w50 1/1 6 Be Rich in Good Works ***
    Jehovah provided for Jesus, the second Adam, just as He did for the first Adam. The Son of God had the necessary food, clothing and a place of shelter.

*** w60 5/15 319 Questions from Readers ***

Remember that "Jehovah" is a name, the divine name, but Philippians 2:9-11 says that the name of the Son of God is Jesus, not Jehovah; and the name Jesus really means "Jehovah is salvation" or "the salvation of Jehovah."

*** w70 1/1 28 Jehovah Provides Plenty in the Midst of Famine ***

Since Joseph was a faithful and obedient son who was instrumental in saving the lives of so many persons, whom would Joseph picture? He would well picture Jesus Christ, the most faithful and obedient Son of God and who is the Savior of humankind.

*** w80 8/15 23 Sacred Service in This "Time of the End" ***

To have their religious service approved by Jehovah God, the Jews had to render it through the Mediator greater than Moses, Jesus Christ the Son of God, the ?seed of Abraham.?

*** w90 5/1 24 Exercise Faith for Everlasting Life ***

To demonstrate that he, as the Son of God, was empowered to raise the dead back to life, Jesus went to the tomb of Lazarus.

*** w99 3/15 5 The Last Day of Jesus' Human Life ***

Soon after dawn on Friday, the Sanhedrin reconvenes, possibly to give some semblance of legality to the illegal nighttime trial. Again Jesus courageously indicates that he is the Christ, the Son of God.?Luke 22:66-71.

(sounds like you are dealing with a nimnode)

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Blondie...complete nimnode

As I stated before, these idiots come up with these claims about JWs saying they teach this or that thing that they never taught and then just feed the JW persecution mentality.

Thanks for the quotes I appreciate it. I am also hunting up quotes from decades earlier...i think like you did, one quote a decade, should be sufficient to demonstrate my point. You rock.

Any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

• blondie
    blondie

I'll see what I can do. Maybe onacruise can find something from the 30's and the 40's.

Blondie

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Tanks kindly blondie I really appreciate it. When I get some cash I am going to get the CDROMS from freeminds that have everything scanned into searchable pdf files.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Blondie:

Proclaimers Book 707 31 How Chosen and Led by God

how do I read that citation? what's book 707 and what is 31? Thanks....

• blondie
    blondie

page 707, chapter 13

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit