sharing some opinions about jwmedia.org

by dustyb 2 Replies latest jw friends

• dustyb
    dustyb

What does the name Jehovah's Witnesses mean?

Jehovah is the personal name of God, as found in the Bible. A witness is a person who relates facts from direct personal knowledge or proclaims views or truths of which he is convinced. Thus, the name Jehovah's Witnesses designates an organized group of Christians who proclaim the truth that Jehovah is a loving and just God, deserving of our love and obedience. They do this by sharing what they have learned from the Bible with friends and neighbors.?Isaiah 43:10-12.

now i'm not the smartest man in the world, but wasn't Isaiah written for the Nation of Israel? doesn't that verse apply to when the Father was calling the Nation of Israel his "witnesses"?

Are you Christians?

Yes. We follow Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and put faith in the ransom sacrifice he provided for the salvation of mankind. We imitate his example in preaching and teaching and in our dealings with fellow humans. We also look forward to living in true peace on earth under his heavenly Kingdom.

did Jesus walk around having butt sex with kids, telling everyone the world was going to end tomorrow, trying to control people's lives, go door to door, or tell anybody that he didn't like to become a JW or you'll die? was Jesus even a witness talked about in Isaiah 43:10??

Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses accept blood transfusions?

We follow the Bible command, found at Acts chapter 15, verse 20, Acts chapter 21, verse 25, and elsewhere, that Christians must "abstain from . . . blood." Jehovah's Witnesses request the use of nonblood medical alternatives, which are widely accepted and used by the medical community.

If you look further in the bible, wasn't the reason that the Jerusalem "old men" said this was so as to not stumble their brothers, because they still wanted to live by the Mosaic Law?

Do you shun former members?

Those who become inactive in the congregation, perhaps even drifting away from association with fellow believers, are not shunned. In fact, special effort is made to reach out to them and rekindle their spiritual interest. If, however, someone unrepentantly practices serious sins, such as drunkeness, stealing or adultery, he will be disfellowshipped and such an individual is avoided by former fellow-worshipers. Every effort is made to help wrongdoers. But if they are unrepentant, the congregation needs to be protected from their influence. The Bible clearly states: 'Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.' (1 Corinthians 5:13) Those who formally say they do not want to be part of the organization any more are also avoided. What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah's Witnesses? The spiritual ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings can continue. As for disfellowshipped relatives not living in the same household, Jehovah's Witnesses apply the Bible's counsel: "Quit mixing with them." (1 Corinthians 5:11) Disfellowshipped individuals may continue to attend religious services and, if they wish, they may receive spiritual counsel from the elders with a view to their being restored. They are always welcome to return to the faith if they reject the improper course of conduct for which they were disfellowshipped.

ever heard of Euphemisms? #1 i know witnesses that get drunk off of their ass every night and harass and yell at my girlfriend (her step-dad of course). #2 being avoided by members of your family isn't shunning, because the WTS says it isn't.

DEF: shun - To avoid deliberately; keep away from. (dictionary.com)

Are you fundamentalists?

While we have strong religious convictions, we are not fundamentalists in the sense that the term has come to be used. We do not believe that every passage in the Bible is to be interpreted literally. We do not pressure political leaders to promote a certain point of view, nor do we resort to demonstrations and violence against those who disagree with us. The Bible teaches Christians to be kind, good, mild, and reasonable?qualities that do not allow for the kind of fanaticism that is sometimes associated with fundamentalism.?James 3:17.

DEF: Fundamentalism - A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism. (definitions.com)

"We don't allow blood because, we have a two witness rule, we believe that "Jehovah" said Isaiah 43:10 refferred to us.." must i go on? what part of that isn't fundamentalism?

Why do you go from door to door?

Jesus told his followers to "make disciples of people of all the nations," and he set the example by "journeying from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the kingdom of God." The apostle Paul taught in public places, in the marketplace, and from house to house. We follow their example. Other religions have acknowledged the Christian obligation to preach in public places and from house to house, although this is often left to a limited group of missionaries or clergy to fulfill.?Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20; Luke 8:1; Acts 20:20.

Did Jesus specifically tell everyone to go from door to door? Did Paul preach at grocery stores, in the parking lots, or at work? Did Paul and Jesus have to turn in a time card to "Jehovah"? Did the apostles answer up to the Jerusalem "Old men"? Do modern Witnesses really know what they preach, or do they just go from door to door and hand out Watchtower magazines and push WT literature?

Why do you continue to call on people who are not interested in your faith?

We do not force our message on others but recognize that people's circumstances change. They move. They may be too busy to listen one day but will gladly take the time another day. One member of a household may not be interested, but others may be. People may have new problems or situations to deal with, stimulating a spiritual interest that was not there before.

So you continue preaching to people, telling them the world is going to end and they're going to die? Or they're living in a life of sin? what?

Do you believe that you are the only ones who will be saved?

No. Many millions who have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before God's time of judgment, and they will gain salvation. Moreover, Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. Humans look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. God has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours.?Matthew 7:1-5; John 5:22, 27.

Shall i start reciting old watchtower publications?

Why don't you celebrate holidays?

We commemorate the Memorial of Christ's death, the most important religious event of the year for Jehovah's Witnesses. Throughout the year, Jehovah's Witnesses enjoy parties, picnics, and other events without feeling bound to obligations or to a fixed date. We may also celebrate special events such as weddings and anniversaries. However, we do not celebrate holidays that have non-Christian religious origins or those that promote nationalism. We are not opposed to celebrations in general or to the giving of gifts.

I was always told it was Pagan............ am i being lied to now? i thought JW's didn't celebrate birthdays because in each occasion in the bible, bad stuff happened.

How are you funded?

Primarily by voluntary donations from Jehovah's Witnesses. No collections are taken at our meetings, and members are not required to tithe. Clearly marked contribution boxes are provided in all meeting places for voluntary donations, which remain anonymous. Expenses are manageable, as there are no paid clergy and the meeting places are modest. Donations forwarded to the nearest branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses are used for disaster relief, support for missionaries and traveling ministers, construction of houses of worship, and the printing and shipping of Bibles and Christian publications. It is a personal decision to donate, whether toward local expenses, worldwide expenses, or both. Financial reports are regularly given for the information of the entire congregation.

and by pushing literature and begging for donations. by making people feel guilty if they don't donate to "God's sole-directed organization"?

So look at how much bullshit's on the website in just the FAQ section. lies and deception, all it is. this is what really pisses me off, because they can't just be straight up front with everyone. i just want to go burn down walkill..............

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

If this was an advert for a product, say, alcohol, food or a car and it told as many half truths and blatant lies as the JW site does, the Advertising Standards people would jump on them from a great height. It would be taken out of the public domain and they'd have to pay a hefty fine.

What's the difference?

They are both sales pitches, to separate you from your money. The only difference is the JWs want your soul as well

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hello, DustyB

I was going to post this observation, until I saw you had started a topic on it. Yesterday, I checked out jw media and found the following:

Those who become inactive in the congregation, perhaps even drifting away from association with fellow believers, are not shunned. In fact, special effort is made to reach out to them and rekindle their spiritual interest. If, however, someone unrepentantly practices serious sins, such as drunkeness, stealing or adultery, he will be disfellowshipped and such an individual is avoided by former fellow-worshipers.

Last year I wrote a letter to one of the elders, explaining how we felt, and that we simply were not interested anymore, this is the quote that I used in January 2003:

Those who simply leave the faith are not shunned. If, however, someone unrepentantly practices serious sins, such as drunkenness, stealing, or adultery, he will be disfellowshipped and such an individual is avoided by former fellow-worshipers. Every effort is made to help wrongdoers. But if they are unrepentant, the congregation needs to be protected from their influence.

We've pretty much been left alone, until yesterday, when this same elder's wife stopped by. So we're on their radar again. I also brought up the UN thing, she didn't know anything about it, and was a bit condescending in telling me "of course the UN would lie " when I told her to go to their website.

I am so disgusted.

FreeKat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit