Marriage

by Hunyadi 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

I am happily and legally married. The WT Society states on their website:

2. FORNICATION: Sex before marriage, adultery, bestiality, incest, and homosexuality are all serious sins against God. (Leviticus 18:6; Romans 1:26, 27; 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10) If a couple are not married but are living together, they should separate or else get legally married.?Hebrews 13:4.

I lived with my wife for 4 years before we made it legal by purchasing a piece of paper with our names on it. We were completely and totally committed, i.e., good and married long before we asked the state of California to recognize that fact for $75.00.

Hebrews 13:4 states: "Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterer."

I am sorry, but I do not read, "If you are living together without being legally married, you are committing fornication."

I loved my wife from the first week of knowing her and knew we would become one until death. Eight years later, we are still just as in love and the best of friends. The commitment we made in the beginning, when we decided to live together has not changed and the marriage certificate we purchased has not altered our love and commitment in any way, and neither has it effected our relationship with eachother, our friends, and our children. A marriage certificate does not ensure the sanctity and fidelity of your marriage does it?

When Hebrews was written, did first century Christians have to go to the governmental authorities in order ot have God recognized and approve of your commitment to each other?

H

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Marriage is something that humans do - it's not wrong or right - it's simply a behaviour - what they do - and in scripture it is utilised for spiritual teaching.

If a couple are not married but are living together, they should separate or else get legally married.?

(Legally?)

Anyway, Paul's admonition is like the saying "let your yes be yes and your no be no" - ie. If your spirit and soul aren't one, then live alone or find another 'word' (bridegroom) if your husband (word) be dead.

But, whatever - I might as well talk to brick walls as speak to jw thinking on that.

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

Check this out.

Back in like 1988-89 there was this 30s something couple whose house we would have the book study at. They were not married. They lived like that for a couple years at least. YOU KNOW they were "fornicatin" but they were in good standing and no one gossipped. I dont understand why for the life of me. Now I dont have anything against what they were doing and if things were going bump in the night more power to them but WHERE IS THE CONSISTENCY?!?!?!?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit