Well at least the dubs are good for business!

by nicolaou 0 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Jehovah's Witness gathering spurs economy
    Merchants forecast big sales as followers learn more on faith

By Valerie D. Lockhart / Special to The Detroit News

OAK PARK -- To merchants, this weekend's Jehovah's Witness regional conference at the Silverdome is a three-day surge in business.
    To followers like Larry Odett of South Lyon and 10-year-old Tonica Brewer of Oak Park, it means much, much more.
    "I'm going to learn how to be a good teacher," said Tonica, clutching a book bag containing her Bible and notebooks. "I need my supplies to take notes at the convention."
    They will join nearly 40,000 other people at the convention beginning Friday at the Pontiac Silverdome. The free event runs through Sunday and will focus on teaching followers more about their faith so that they can teach others.
    "Before we can be teachers, we have to be students of the Bible," said Odett, who's helping to publicize the event. "We will learn how to apply Bible principles in our family and personal life through a series of talks and demonstrations. Each talk will emphasize how God wants mankind to live."
    Local ministers and headquarters representatives will address members from 233 congregations in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York hosts similar gatherings in 62 cities this spring and summer.
    Any program drawing tens of thousands of travelers is good news for local businesses, especially hotels.
    Convention delegates reserved 205 of the 415 rooms at the Holiday Inn in Southfield this weekend.
    "With economic conditions being slower this year due to layoffs, the convention is a boost for business," said Jennifer Rexius, director of sales for the hotel.
    Restaurants and groceries also see a sales surge.
    "Each year, there are approximately 50 to 100 customers added each day during that three-day period," said Jerry Yurgo, owner of Hollywood Market in Pontiac. "Conventions have a ripple effect across a five- to six-mile radius, so we all benefit."
    At the sold-out Marriott at Centerpoint, which opened in Pontiac last year, marketing director Patrick Tinetti also welcomed "a nice piece of business for hotels in the area."
    "Most weekends are not sellouts," he said.
    Convention highlights will include a baptism and a dramatic play, Respect Jehovah's Authority.
    On Sunday, actors in ancient-style attire will depict a Biblical story, showing its modern relevance.
    "Each year, I gain a different perspective on how to apply Bible principles in my life," said Larry Logan, an 18-year member from Lathrup Village. "The convention makes me stronger spiritually and betters me personally."

Gathering of faithful
    * Theme: Teachers of God's Word.
    * Sponsor: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.
    * Site: Pontiac Silverdome.
    * Admission: Free; open to public.
    * Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
    * Information: www.watchtower.org on Internet.

Valerie D. Lockhart is a Metro Detroit free-lance writer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    . http://www.detnews.com/2001/oakland/0106/13/d04-233294.htm

Nic'[8>]

. http://www.do-not-call.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit