Is Ehrman's "The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture" worth reading?

by True North 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• True North
    True North

Most of my "knowledge" of the history and sources of the Bible was acquired from Watchtower publications. Although I left the JW org. some twenty years ago, I never felt compelled to consider the subject much further. However, since recently reading some stuff on the Web about NT and OT authors citing extra-Biblical writings and traditions (including Leolaia's 25-Feb-04 post on "Apocryphal Jewish Tradition in the New Testament"), I've become curious about the history of the Scriptures -- both OT and NT -- and about the current state of scholarly opinion on these.

Can anyone recommend a couple of good books on this topic? I'd like to read something accessible to the layperson but nonetheless scholarly in the sense of being up to date, well informed, well reasoned, and not too distorted by the author having an axe to grind.

On Amazon, I've found some books by Bart D. Ehrman that sound interesting and that received a number of four and five-star reviews. Has anyone read any of the following?:

The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament

Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It into the New Testament

Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew

Also, there seem to be a lot of such books covering the NT but how about the OT?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I don't know the books, but I've read several articles by Bart D. Ehrman and they were always interesting.

You can have a foretaste on a recent thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/65212/1.ashx

• outnfree
    outnfree

I've only read Ehrman's book out of the one's you've cited. I found it worthwhile and interesting as I exited the Borg. I must warn you that I came away feeling that perhaps the Bible was not 'inspired of God,' at least not in the way that some teach: that the Spirit used the writers as secretaries. There was a lot of debate, a lot of controversy, and a lot of different Christianties around in the 1st Century.

May I also recommend, "When Jesus Became God" by Richard Rubenstein?

Enjoy your research.

outnfree

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Presently I'm reading the book "Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scriptures and the Faiths we never Knew" We thought provoking and interesting as well. Will let you know when I'd finish the book.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I found the lost scriptures a very interesting read

another one that was good is called

back to eden lost books of the bible

• logansrun
    logansrun

Ehrman is cool. I've listened to some of his lectures on audiocassete from a "Great Proffessors" series I visit. A true scholar. Not at all like "scholar."

b.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

galaxy7.....I heartily recommend Charlesworth's OLD TESTAMENT PSEUDEPIGRAPHA instead if you can find it.

• True North
    True North

Narkissos, thanks for the link. I found the lecture interesting.

• ExpandedMind
    ExpandedMind

Hi!

I own "The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture", but haven't had the time to read it. I am looking forward to it.

I've read Ehrman's "Jesus, Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium", have ordered hardcopies of some of his lectures and have printed out several papers he has written that I've found on-line. He writes clearly and with authority, but from the position of a historian not a theologian. So he's not afraid to tackle the hard issues about the Bible since he doesn't have to try to prove that it's inerrant (or errant for that matter). He just focuses on the "facts" ... what actually can be known about Christianity from the Bible and other early sources. I'd heartily recommend about anything he writes on the Bible or Christianity.

Someone else mentioned hearing one of his lectures... you can get several of his lectures on DVD, Video and possibly CD (as well as hardcopies) from The Teaching Company.

Take care!

ExpandedMind

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

He's a straight shooting middle of the road scholar. Not as radical as I would like to see but he is trying not to alinate Xtians readers, and maybe accomodate his own belief. As I recall he is a believer, tho hardly a literalist. Word choice is careful not to offend. His discretionary use of loaded terms like "frauds" betrays a desire to retain broad readership. As for his books Id call them a good choice. I have two and learned much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit