South Africa: Serial child rapist found guilty on 103 charges...

by SYN 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• SYN
    SYN

Vision of terror: The look Fanwell Khumalo's victims will never forget, and which helped convict the Johannesburg chef of serial rape. His squint - described by the girls he assaulted as "funny eyes" - was instrumental in his downfall. Photo: Anton Hammerl, The Star
    Tell-tale eyes of SA's worst child rapist

February 26 2004 at 06:43AM

By Siyabonga Mkhwanazi

Serial child rapist Fanwell Khumalo stood up and looked at his family with the same eyes that had struck fear into the hearts of more than 40 girls.

Many of the girls had testified how they had been haunted by those eyes. His squint had terrified them. And on Wednesday, not a flicker of emotion flashed across those eyes as Johannesburg High Court Judge Max Labe finished four days of judgment against Khumalo.

After 93 days in court, Judge Labe finally concluded his lengthy judgment on the country's worst-ever child rapist.

Of the 132 charges Khumalo had faced, he was found guilty on 103 counts, including 39 of rape, three of attempted rape, 17 of indecent assault, 35 of kidnapping, eight of robbery and one of common assault.

'The accused said to her that she must choose between dying or being raped'
    He was acquitted on three charges of rape, two of attempted rape, seven of indecent assault, 12 of kidnapping, three of common assault and one each of illegal possession of a firearm and pointing a firearm.

Khumalo terrorised girls, aged between seven and 20, in the greater Johannesburg area between May 1997 and May 2001.

He had once cooked for the rich and famous at his Iyavaya restaurant in Yeoville.

He was also one of Johannesburg's most dangerous people. He had kidnapped, indecently assaulted, raped and even robbed his victims, Judge Labe and his two assessors found.

Khumalo had claimed mistaken identity. But his eyes had given him away - they were the feature that most of the girls he had raped could not forget.

They testified that they were raped by "the man with funny eyes", which - along with his limp, height and weight - had given him away at identification parades.

Some girls identified Khumalo by his squint and limp, but he denied having these characteristics. This was an assertion the court roundly rejected.

On Wednesday, the court found the girls' testimony, supported by DNA evidence, to be true.

Khumalo had sat throughout his trial taking down notes, with a Bible by his side. He never looked at the girls.

The trial was not without drama, right to the end. When the court adjourned for lunch yesterday, investigating officer Captain Bongani Linda intercepted a small parcel - apparently muti - being passed to Khumalo by his family.

An eerie hush hung over the court as Judge Labe handed down judgment, convicting and acquitting the accused on the various charges.

Whenever the court adjourned, members of the public would rise and look at Khumalo in silence while he talked to his family, and they would leave the courtroom only after the accused had been led down to the basement cells.

Judge Labe described Khumalo's evidence as "lies and contradictions".

He said Khumalo's evidence had amounted to nothing but a theory that all state witnesses had conspired against him. He found Khumalo's conspiracy allegations had no substance.

Judge Labe also described Khumalo as cruel, and referred to an incident on April 22 2001, in which the accused had given a 14-year-old girl, identified only as NK, a horrible choice.

"The accused said to her that she must choose between dying or being raped. If she chose dying, he would kill her, and if she chose rape, he would rape her. She chose rape because she was scared of dying," said the judge.

"What happened to NK was cruel, especially the choice of being rape or killed," he said.

The trial was postponed to March 23 to allow for both the defence and state to produce psychologists' reports before sentencing. Khumalo was remanded.

• This article was originally published on page 1 of The Star on February 26, 2004

I'm speechless!

(Erg, couldn't embed the page, so I'm cuttin' & pastin')

• kls
    kls

The details in that story are bone chilling.How does someone get so sick.No matter what happens to him there are victims left behind to live with what has been done to them. The first punishment is to cut his hole weapon off and have him pee through a tube. KLS

• SYN
    SYN

Personally, I think that's the wrong idea, purely because it leaves him in the same country as he started out in.

Nope, a desert island with a mile-high barbed wire fence around it would be a lot better.

• Valis
    Valis

How about a hole in the head?

Oh and howdy SYN! How Aussie land treating you?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Yeah, hang him and let him dry in the sun.

CZAR

• Earnest
    Earnest

South Africa has an appalling record of violence including rape. In 2001 there were 21,000 reported cases of child rape or assault, mostly committed by male relatives of the victims and these include children of less than a year old (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1703595.stm). In fact, in many areas incest is simply a way of life and it has been so for many years. And this brings me to a letter I received recently from a JW friend in South Africa :

I started a study with a 13-year-old girl three weeks ago. I have to conduct the study in the home of a brother who lives nearby as they have no chairs to sit on and when her mother goes out she puts a padlock on the bedroom door. From what I gather her mom is a drunk...It is only with Jehovah's help that these two [the girl and her sister] will emerge unscathed, as the area they come from is rife with drunkenness and it is not unusual for young girls to be asked if their periods have started so that they can be introduced to sex. Shabeens are a plenty and most times the parents send their children there to buy alcohol for them and they grow up thinking this is what life is about. Nonetheless we are finding those who change and clean up their lives...

Why do I mention this ? Because it got me thinking what really made the preaching work worthwhile. It was the difference it made in people's lives who would have known of nothing better than poverty and hopelessness. Now that I live in the affluent West (England) where social services take care of all these problems and poverty has a different meaning it has been easy to forget the difference bible teaching and christian association make in the lives of many. These terrible events in SA have brought it back to mind and make me evaluate again what is really important in life.

Earnest

• nilfun
    nilfun

Earnest,

I understand that for many, the preaching work is a "feel good" exercise -- and that they also feel it is a display of their faith in God and love for their fellow humans. It is just too bad that for too many, the preaching work is no shield against incest and rape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit