A Question for former bethelites?

by eisenstein 4 Replies latest jw friends

• eisenstein
    eisenstein

My sister and I were talking the other day and she told me that when you are first assigned to Bethel they make you sign a letter of secrecy or something like "Secret Service Agreement"? I was just wondering if this is true. If it is true then don't you agree that it is a hot bed for paranoia?

I know of one couple who left Bethel because the wife was eaten up with paranoia almost to the point of a break down. It's really sad to see young people going through this at such early ages.

eisenstein

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I dont know what more recent policy is but 15 yrs ago all you signed was a "Vow of Poverty" basically for tax purposes to benefit the WT. In its simplest application it was basically you not being able to work and earn any income unless on vacation. Secrecy vow... not sure about that one. You are told however re. confidentiality, that you cant relate what the new releases are for the summer conventions, or any new literature coming out. To do so would be grounds for dismissal.

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

Not sure about bethel, but would be interested to hear if they did have to sign something. I know that when I went through pioneer school I was told that the school was special to us as pioneers and although they did not directly say don't share the experience - it was implied that it was to be kept private.

Kind regards

Scots lass

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Don't remember signing anything of that kind (> 20 years ago)...

• boa
    boa

yes, there absolutely was a form that must be signed, at least when i was at C bethel in the late 90's. I distinctly remember it because it was one of several surprises a new one gets when becoming a bethelite. My wife told be out of the corner of her mouth that she didn't agree that the org was the end all be all in all cases and i shushed her cuz what a time to bring that out! anyway, bless her, she's helped me 'see the light' so not all was lost.

essentially it had several points i believe in a kind of bullet form that involved the oath of poverty for taxation purposes and a type of oath of allegience to be loyal to the organization. I read it carefully before signing but don't recall anymore at this time - what can I say, i've drank a lot of beer, rye and vodka since that time trying to 'cope' with my childhood and childish religion.

as for family 'secret' matters, it was publicly explained (and in the bethel manual) to the bethel 'family' from time to time that like normal 'families' there are private matters and sometimes embarrasing events, not to be shared with the 'outside' which means EVERYONE on the outside including those unfortunate dubs all around the world who don't get to be bethelites. Yes, although I was only there for just over a year, did i hear some strange ideas from various people and the platform.

What was funny with the idea mentioned above in another thread about pre-release information about convention publications was the 'new' hour requirements for ox and reg pioneers. Man that traveled like hellfire lightening all over cuz it wasn't specifically mentioned to wait for it to be publicised (in canada). Then, holy hell, the main brooklyn morning worship the following(?) wednesday (canada ties in on this date) did some serious ripping about it getting out. Of course it was too late, hell, in 5 minutes, it was out and too late! LOL It seems someone dropped the ball in the chain of command between canada and brooklyn but am not sure who the guilty sob is bless his souls for causing some excitement for once! No wonder everyone was excited and probably bitter it didn't happen about 3 decades ago imo.

boa

'of the I just broke my bethel vow - oops class' except did I mention, the vow states only for the time you're in bethel is it in effect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit