Did she, or didn't she?

by Schizm 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

With due respect for the deceased, notice obituary announcement in link below: "She went peacefully to be with God" . And they're sooooo cocksure about that! Try to tell them differently and see how far you get. Then again, try to convince an average JW that not a single one of the 144,000 have gone to heaven YET. You won't get very far there either, at least not at the present time (a problem that stems from the faulty 1914 doctrine).

http://amarillonet.com/stories/021904/obi_schroederob.shtml

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I tried to get into a similar discussion with my JW friend. Went nowhere. I believe we are immortal and "death" is but a doorway. My JW friend, of course, doesn't believe in the immortality of the soul, yet the 144,000 apparently DO have souls and do go to heaven. Go figure.... how comforting is that?

• Gopher
    Gopher

It looks like many Christians will use the opportunity of the death of a loved one to proclaim their hope that the person went "to a better place".

It is human to want to deny the finality of death and to hope that there's some great beyond.

If there is a "Great Beyond" we'll find out someday.

In the time of their grief, I'd give the mourners some slack. If they want to proclaim their hope, I think it's mainly out of hope (or even desperation for some).

Did she, or didn't she? Maybe she did. I hope so, but I'm not "cocksure".

• simplesally
    simplesally

Its a hope for the future..............trying to statements that appear to be fact help them to feel safe now.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Remarkably few Christians (or members of other religions) seem to want to go to this "better place" right now!

• Carmel
    Carmel

I've always thought that the JWs who rail on materialism, are yearning for a "material" existence in the "new system of things". I'm one of those who thinks he is a spiritual being having a material experiance.

carmel

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Remarkably few Christians (or members of other religions) seem to want to go to this "better place" right now

LOL.... I 'know' there's a better place than here, however, I'll wait for the bus to come and get me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit