Donation Arrangement

by Frenchy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I am curious as to how many of you are completely comfortable with the 'new' donation arrangement. (Okay, I know it's not new anymore but...) Do you prefer it over the old way? (I'd like to leave these two magazines with you for a contribution of fifty cents). Do you find the present arrangement totally honest?
    "How much are these?" -householder
    "There's no charge for our literature...but now that you are holding them in your hands let me explain to you how you can donate (something I would not have done had you not taken the literature)"

I would very much appreciate any comments you would care to make on the subject.

• Simon
    Simon

It's been very difficult in the UK because people are not naturally as 'forward' as some from other countries.
    People are much more used to having a set price and being told what it is - it makes them more comfortable as otherwaise they're not sure how much they should give.
    I know some either tell them a price or suggest that 'most people give us about xxp for them'.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thank you for your reply. But what is your personal opinion of the matter? Do you feel that the new approach is completely honest?

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think it's necessarily dishonest - it's just easier for both parties involved and saves either from becoming embarrassed.
    I think it's more dishonest to take as much as £5 from someone who may not really be able to afford it and is possibly afrais to offer less for fear of looking stupid.

• waystation
    waystation

Frenchy, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea this is dishonest. The literature is at no charge. If they would like to make a donation to the world wide work, then can. If they wouldn't like to, they don't. If they want the literature, either way they can have it.

waystation

• EyesonthePies
    EyesonthePies

I don't think it is dishonest unless we suggest what amount people should donate. However, the point was made about compelling people. Give the person the magazines and then suggest a donation. It is a bit like the pressure to donate when a plate is passed in church.

But...this is the way the Society said it should be done and that is good enough to me.

• MOTD
    MOTD

test

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Trade em for some donuts.

"I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Universe."- Jango Fett

• dsgal
    dsgal

People must surely be wondering why the jws charged for the magazines for all those years ,then all of a sudden it's on a donation basis.(If they can do it this way,then why did it take so long?)

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

I would like to bet that the decision to stop charging for the literature was forced due to some regulation (ie couldn't charge and keep charitable status), not because of some altruistic decision to allow people who couldn't afford the literature the opportunity to read them without being out of pocket.

Very rarely did anyone offer me money for the magazines after they were placed "without charge".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit