What was the drama about this year?

by dedalus 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

I'm asking because my JW dad is in it. All I know is that he's playing a bible character, but I'm wondering what bible scenario is being enacted. In a gesture of support and mutual tolerance, I was planning to go see him perform, cheer him on, that sort of thing. However, now that Foxy and I are pregnant -- and unmarried (which is fine with us, liberals that we are) -- my father has been pretty vocal in his disapproval. So, I'm just wondering if this is one of those pierce-fornicators-through-the-genitals dramas. If it is, well ... that might explain my father's behavior, which, while somewhat expected, still took me by surprise.

Dedalus

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Dedalus,

It is about Jehovah killing apostates. Does that ring a bell to you?

• dedalus
    dedalus

Well, I suppose that's the lesson behind most, if not all dramas, Fred. I was just wondering what the specific instance was here. Have you been to your convention, or were you too busy trolling?

Dedalus

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

To busy kicking butt.

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Hi Dedalus,

It was something about Moses and Koresh, loyalty to God's organization versus loyalty to family. LosingMyReligion gave details on the whole DC in three different threads, the Sunday one is on one of the back pages.

If anyone else would like to post their thoughts on the DC, I would be interested into further insights of what my in-laws heard this weekend (and how it may affect family relations).

Michelle

The most deadly of all sins is the mutilation of a child's spirit. -Erik H. Erikson

• dedalus
    dedalus

Thanks Michelle. I ran a search and found the link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=6366&site=3#74623

Dedalus

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Dedalus, I had dinner with some family just after that day of the convention. I heard the teenage girls giggling about something, calling something goofy. I deduced they were talking about the drama, so I asked what it was about.

They didn't really know...something about a korah and abiram or something. Made a big impression, especially the fact that they had only one prop in the whole darn production.

Yep, the lightweight 3500 year old bench stole the show for my niece and her freinds.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Interesting anecdote, SixofNine. It reminded me of the time I was a stagehand in a drama. Back then we had a lot of props -- we could hardly move them all before the musical interludes between scenes ended! In one scene, a Worldly basketball coach tried to recruit a Faithful Witness, and we even went so far as to choreograph a sequence in which coach and student passed the ball back and forth.

But production values these days are way down. The lights aren't even dimmed anymore. Who cares? Dramas so didactic, they're no longer any fun.

Dedalus

• DB
    DB

dedalus, it was about Korah, Dathan, and Abiram (the main focus being on Korah) and the rebellion against Moses reported in Numbers.

Indeed the postings by Losing are most helpful here, as he (she) took extensive notes, and mase some very funny comments to punctuate those notes.

Anyway, the genital piercing took place last year, as the drama depicted the incident with Eleazar taking action to stop the scourge that resulted when the Israelites committed fornication on the palins of Moab.

One comment that I will make: back then, in Moses' time, Moses was UNQUESTIONABLY the one used by God. How do we know? By means of the miracles that God empowered him to perform. The Israelites doubted his selection by God until several miracles clearly established that Moses was the one God was using.

Today, we are being asked to put that same kind of faith in an organization that cannot substantiate its claims in the same way that Moses could. So while, in my mind, Korah had no reason to question Moses' authority, the parallel made to our modern day does not quite hold up. There is no one on earth today that merits that type of unquestioned loyalty; no one performing great miracles and acting in accordance with God's will to the degree that Moses did.

So, in my mind, the parallel can be made in a LOOSE manner, perhaps in a very qualified way, but not as emphatically as it is made in this year's drama.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit