I don't want to be a Jehovah's Witness anymore, but I'm scared of losing my family- Story On Australia's ABC

by fulltimestudent 6 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The ABC is a government owned Media group, and today's web-page included this story:

Its formatted as answers to specific questions, and in response to the question, "Why did you stop believing" comes a story we hear much too often.

The special thing about the story this time is that likely millions of Australian will read her story.

https://www.abc.net.au/life/i-dont-want-to-be-a-jehovahs-witness-anymore-or-lose-my-family/11885098

The article also reminds us that Australians are giving up on religion in increasing numbers.

Quote: "It seems Australians are increasingly giving up on God — or at least religion.

On the last census in 2016, nearly a third of Australians (30 per cent) reported they had 'no religion' — the highest number of people ever to do so, and up 11 per cent on 2006."

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Is it going to be aired on TV ? if so do you have a time and date ?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

If it comes on TV I want to record it.

Petra!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I have sent an e-mail to ABC to get some more info about it ,and will let you know how they respond.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

smiddy3, Is it going to be aired on TV ?

Nothing in the above feature on the ABC's web-site indicates that its to be shown on an ABC TV show.

However, since its part of a web-site series (with both Jewish and Muslim ex-believersinterviewed) the ABC could be planning a future program on why people leave their religion.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I have recieved an automatic response from ABC saying they will pass on my query to the relevant party however due to the overall volume of general mail they recieve they hope to respond within 30 days .

As you say fts it is only at present available on their web-site as far as I can tell.I did indicate to them that I am on JWN so who knows if they will make contact here ?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

And... why is this no surprise?

In this first instalment of a three-part series, we hear from Julia*, a woman who grew up Jehovah's Witness.

Trigger warning: This story contains details of sexual assault.

Why did you stop believing?

I was raped at 14 by someone high up in the religion. I had very repressed memories from it, which only came out a few years ago after my kids were born.

I went to the elders and told them everything. And he got protected by them.

My husband had helped me complain, but after that he said, "The elders have dealt with it, just leave it at that."

I told my husband I don't believe anymore which caused us to separate at one point. We're back together again because he wants to try for the kids. But he doesn't feel he can love someone who doesn't believe in the religion.

He says God comes before marriage… I'm not a priority.

He actually refuses to have sex with me if I'm not doing the right thing via the religion. He withholds intimacy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit