Screenplay ?

by Thunder Rider 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Hey folks, does anyone have any experience in writing a screenplay. I want to turn TRB into a screenplay, but i'm not sure just how to go about doing it. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

• little witch
    little witch

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/

Click on the workshop section. Good Luck!

• pc
    pc

Thunder, I will speak to a friend of mine in NY. She is a screenwriter. She also teaches at various writing programs around the US at colleges. Also you should look into some local colleges. There are alot of courses offered at the adult education level that could help. I have been taking some writing courses, and the professors are usually out of the corporate world and have alot of contacts. I'm away for a couple of days, when I reach my friend I'll post you. PC

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Don't have a clue TR. I've read a couple in high school though.

Good luck!

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

Thunder -

I write them myself. There are many web resources on the net. The best thing you can do is read other screenplays. Lot's of them. Make sure they are industry standard. You will learn a lot from just reading properly formatted screenplays. Also, now this sound ssimple - Watch movies. The more you watch, the more you learn about structure. Also a good screenwriting software helps a lot. It allows you to get your thoughts down while the program does the formatting for you. I use Movie Magic Screenwriter myself. As far as schools... Don't spend too much money on classes. Most you can learn yourself. However a small investment at a local college or nite class isn't a bad idea.

Here's a link to screenplay's you can check out.

http://www.dailyscript.com/movie.html

Also if you have a DVD player. A lot of movies contain their scripts on the disc. Just pop them in your computer and you have it. You can also jump to the scene while viewing the screenplay.

Hope this helps. If you need any other info, drop me a PM.

-Freddy

• True North
    True North

You might get some value out of reading Writer's Digest's "The Complete Book of Scriptwriting" by J. Michael Staczynski. JMS was a writer/producer for the TV series "Murder, She Wrote", created and wrote for the series "Babylon 5", is currently doing the show "Jeremiah", has movie projects in the works, etc., etc., etc. This book focuses a lot on the real-world issues of scripting as a business/profession -- agents, marketing scripts, pitfalls to avoid -- which are obviously important to consider unless one is just writing for personal pleasure.

Amazon.com has the book at discount for just $13.99. Be sure to get the latest, revised edition (ISBN 1582971587).

BTW, what is "TRB"?

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Thanx for the response folks. I plan to spend the weekend working to finish my second novel and then start investigating all your suggestions.

True North: TRB is Thunder Rider's Burden. It is the title of my first novel. PM me if you would like the link to the website.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I've read a lot of books about screenwriting. The movies I've liked the most didn't conform to their formulas.

I would actually suggest buying the screenplays (in book form) for some of your favorite movies, and reading them. Then start to write scenes based on your story, that use what you've learned by reading these screenplays.

I find that the hard part is writing, and the easy part is planning, outlining, etc., INSTEAD of writing. SO start the writing first! You can edit, re-arrange, etc., laters.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit