"The Harmony of the Four Gospels" Musical Public Talk

by seeitallclearlynow 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Minimus mentioned in the "Apostates are Infiltrating the Congregations" thread that the meetings used to be interesting, with skits and such, and you know, I had forgotten that! But they were interesting many years ago!

We had humorous skits and attention-getting skits, and a lot more slide presentations way back when.

So this made me think of a talk that was very highly requested in our area, titled above. And it was a MUSICAL talk!

A group of 4 assistants travelled around with this brother, and sang certain harmonies at given points in the talk.

It was great. Anyone else have this, or another musical or otherwise very different, actually entertaining Public Talk?

• new light
    new light

I don't remember any musical talks, but when I was a kid we had a CO named Gary May. On one visit he had all youngins draw or paint a scene of what they looked forward to in the "new world". Viewing it from our perspective at the time, it was really coool. So nice to have a CO loosen up now and then. Actually, I think he was kind of a musical/theater buff because one time the cong. finished singing and from the stage he says "That was horrible. I want you to sing it again like you mean it." He was serious...the sound guy rewound the tape and we really did it again, actually trying hard to please him. Thanks for sparking that memory, seeitall, I just had a good laugh.

new light

• Carmel
    Carmel

On the contrary! SO many times we had no speaker on Sunday. Had to sit and watch a damd tape recorder go round and round for and hour! Gawd was that booooooring!

carmel

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

ROFL Carmel!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    "The Harmony of the Four Gospels"

Interesting name for the group, Must hearken back to the days when Dubs were not afraid to use Bible aids put out by "Christendom". A "harmony of the Gospels" is a book or list that shows which events occurred when in each Gospel, in relation to events mentioned in other Gospels. Does such a work exist in "Dubdom"? (My guess is that if it does, it'll be at the back of a Bible, among the other "helps").

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Wow! So that talk really was unique, and as one sister told me, the brother who gave this talk apparently had altered some other outlines to include music also, and may have gotten into "trouble" for it. How dare he try to make the Sunday meeting enjoyable!

I bet most of you guys thought this thread had some kind of preachy content, when you read the title.

Nope!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Yeah, I wasn't looking to pick a fight, but it did cross my mind that another bornagain was about!

carmel who still remembers counting the holes in the ceiling for hours as the recorder spun

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi Carmel. I enjoyed your float thread!

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

Knew a Bro who got so exited about his topic about Babylon/The Harlot that while giving his talk he moved out from behind the podium, went in front of it and while gesturing wildly about the imminent destruction (ahem..this was before 1975) that he fell of the stage. The people laughed so much that his wife who was pregnanent at the time nearly went into labor...hehehehe.

He later almost fell of again when giving a talk about the "one eyed Monster" (television) when the elders cautioned him and told him that he mustn't be so emotional !

Damn he was preachin ! The KH was usually packed ! Hallelujah! "Southern Style"

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Yes, and that's another example of a lively day at the Kingdom Hall! Few and far between, and oh so memorable! Thanks for sharing that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit