Ever Seen The Movie 'Blast From The Past'?

by cypher50 3 Replies latest jw friends

• cypher50
    cypher50

You know, the one where Brandon Fraser grows up in a bomb shelter and finally comes out after so many years to a world totally new to him (like some modern day Rip Van Winkle)? That is how I feel right now except I simply got out of a religion...

I am not totally clueless; I fortunately was allowed to do most of the normal things that kids do while growing up (play videogames, watch all the tv shows I wanted [including Smurfs] & listen to the music I liked) so I am not a total square. However, I am 24 next month and yet I am out of 'friends' & relatives to hang out with (they ditched when I DA'ed) and I have only made two true friends outside of meetings/school/work in my whole life. I hate dancing (something always feels uncomfortable about it) so clubs are out for me...I can definitely drink with the best of them but I can't see what else is fun about the bar scene...so what is there for people like me to do? What is even worse is that I have absolutely no 'social' skills in so far as starting conversations with people I don't know (unless I am supposed to peddle some magazines...then I am a master!)...that isn't something that someone at my age should be going through and it is even more painful because I am aware of that.

Don't get me wrong (to those who are lurking), I wouldn't go back to being a Witness for anything. I have peace of mind now that I have never had...I don't worry about 'worldly' people anymore or about so many dear friends & relatives who aren't Witnesses dying in some horrible 'great tribulation'. Plus, I have so much more freedom exploring my spirituality...it is just that now I feel really deserted right now and I have no idea not only how to find new friends but I have no idea how to have fun. Hell, I am even clueless on how to get a girlfriend...but that can actually wait. Right now, I just see a need to build up a social life and I am so frustrated because I don't know how...anyone here who went through something even close to this? I doubt that someone might be able to relate but you never know.

• dustyb
    dustyb

man that sucks. but i do remember reading one story where an ex-JW man got DF'ed and his wife divorced him and he moved somewhere to the NW portion of the US. One of his co-workers took him to a club, and this one woman picked him to dance (this guy couldn't dance), and he made a total jackass out of hisself. then he went over, apologized, and she asked him some questions (this guy was an artist and extremely well off with a porsche and whatnot), but the lady didn't believe him. so he took her out, showed her the porsche, and took her to the house where the famous art was hanging and she was shocked and bewildered....

i guess the moral of the story is be yourself..... getting back out may be hard, but there's always some place out there. conversation starts with a simple word. "Hi". go to a club and see wat u got. get drunk as hell and have a good time =D

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

I remember this movie very well. There are too many frightening similarities between Brandon Fraser's character's life, and JWs who leave the organization. I'm still inside, but I know that once I leave for good, things will be fo different then living inside the JW bubble. I know when the day comes, I will have alot to learn, and it's going to take awhile.

Right now, I just see a need to build up a social life and I am so frustrated because I don't know how...anyone here who went through something even close to this? I doubt that someone might be able to relate but you never know.

I can totally relate, since I was raised in a similar situation. Have you considered maybe trying some kind of group activities, maybe a sports league, martial arts, or some other kind of club in your town? What about the true friends you have made outside the organization? Would it be possible to ask them for help in meeting new people?

For me, before I leave, I'm trying to build myself a social network outside the jws, with people I've met at school. All I can say is to be patient, and keep your eyes open for opportunities to meet new people.

Nocturne

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

One way to make new friends is to decide what you DO believe, and find a group which also believes those things. There is an online test that you can take which is supposed to tell you where you would fit in best. (someone help me out here please, what is the name of that test?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit