Johannes Greber -Spirit Medium's translation used in NWT-john1:1

by wednesday 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wednesday
    wednesday

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/greber.html

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/wtgreber.html

I called the why 1914 line yesterday and talked with them, They gave me some excellent inffo about Johannes Greber, a spiritual medium who the WTS used to back up john 1:1. I was appalled. I had no idea. I know this is old info, as the help line volunteer said the wts acknowledged it used his translastion without knowing he was a medium. Sounds like the UN thing . So i guess when backed in a corner, always know nothing. I wish i had thought of this while i was an active JW. what a great defense.

They also told me that they are using the 1914 date and 120 years as a lifetime and coming up with the new date 2034 unoffically, of course.

edited to add here is a jw response to the Greber thing

http://hector3000.future.easyspace.com/greber.htm

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hi Weds.

That is the ol WTBTS response when they get caught with their pants down.

As another poster mentioned on another thread, the WTBTS scours the world over for an opinion that they can "realign" with their own philosphy, but then someone comes along with a little background research, about the original author, they feign "they didn't know.

There was a lot of controversy over their second "evolution" book where they basically "raped" other author's and scientist's quotes to push their own agenda.

And so it goes

• wednesday
    wednesday

http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-Greber.htm

Here is another site that exposes this.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

That it was not exactly the wisest thing in the history of Earth to quote Greber, is something upon which we can agree. But when you talk about the NWT and John 1:1, I do not understand why the Greber thing is of any importance, because there are so many translations using "a god" and similar expressions, that Greber is totally without any significance. It seems at times that some live in the misconseption that NWT and "a god" rests solely upon Greber.

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

The issue regarding Greber has been discussed to death, in my opinion. It has been shown by several researchers who have delved into this issue, that at most what the Greber situation proves is that the WT society is guilty of shoddy research. There seems to be significant evidence that individuals who were responsible in quoting from this translation from the early 60's through the late 70's had no idea of his connection with spiritism. This has been confirmed with a few former members of the writing department, specifically Ray Franz and Reinhard Lengtat. Apparently the author of the article in 1956 who knew of Greber's background, was either no longer on the writing committee, or apparently forgot about Greber's background which according to several former bethelites is not all that uncommon.

Stafford's appendix on this issue was amazingly accurate, even though he did not have the testimony of former writers at the time of its preparation.

Any comments made regarding this situation that goes beyond what is noted above has an agenda and is simply trying to paint the JW's in a bad light.

Alf3831

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup... Jehover's Spirit Directed Organization (TM) was directed by Jehover's Holy Spirit to use a translation that was done by a spirit medium.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I am by no means a WT apologist, however some here are using the "Poison Well" tactic. Attack the person, not the information or facts presented.

The issue should be if the claims are justified, or the reasons for the claims, not who made the claims.

The information should stand on the merits and facts, not the lifestyle choice of the person making the claims.

Quote the Devil, if it proves your point....

• wednesday
    wednesday

I found out about this from the volunteer on the why 1914 helpline. They told me that the WTS was written about this in 82 and basically said "so what". , On one of the links i provided they paraphrse the respone from the WTS, and i find it rather too easy going , considering if one of the R&F had done the same thing. It is really shoddy work. They did know this man was a spirit medium, and his wife too.Not everyone knew i'm sure, but he people who translated the NWT should make it their business to know the sources they use.

I know it is old news to some but to me, it is just one more thing that shows what the WTS will go to to prove any point.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Regardless if the translation came from the spirit world or not; the question is: IS the translation CORRECT or not?

WHO REALLY KNOWS FOR ABSOLUTELY SURE? If it is wrong, will the Holy Spirit correct it? Does it really matter? Does anyone in the JW crowd care anyway?

Mr. KIM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit