JW's and the SLAVE Mentality.

by ZeroKool29 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• ZeroKool29
    ZeroKool29

How many of you remember this scripture:

I am a good for nothing slave. What I have done is what I ought to have done. ?

If you can tell me where that scripture is located I would appreciate it. Now, what does that scripture mean to you? What did the JW's want it to mean to you? In what context did they mention it? What affect did those words have on you when you heard them at the meetings? Did you happily accept those words, recognize the hoplessness of your imperfection and willingly give up your free will to instead be lead around by the elders and the Society? Now that you are away from the organization, how does it make you feel to remember scriptures like that and how they changed your mentality back then?

Take a look at another scripture that they used to give us all of the time:

To earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to a man who is walking even to direct his step.

I believe that's in Jeremiah. And, let's go one further, remember this oldie?

Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him and he will make your path straight.

Now, let's put it all together and see what we come up with. JW's teach that the Bible is "inspired of God" and that they alone hold the "Truth" about what God really wants from us. I have an experience that I would like to relate that I had a few months ago, I was online and I wound up talking to a young JW sister. I asked her if she was baptized and she said that she was, had been since the age of 16. I was amazed. I had gotten baptized at that age myself, but I now have a greater understanding of what baptism is really about for JW's and now I realize that I was nowhere near ready for it. I asked her if she believe that baptism is symbolic as a giving ones life over, dedicating one's existence to the service of the one and only true god, creator of all things. She said, yes. I asked her if she agreed with the idea that a person contemplating that should make sure they understand as much about God as possible and that they gain as much knowledge about him as they can before baptism and she agreed to that. Do you see where I'm going with this? So then I asked her what all she read and studied and used in order to get to know god to know enough to dedicate herself to him, and she said lots of stuff. The Knowledge book, the WT and Awake!, and other books. So I asked her if all of her knowledge about god came from the WTBTS and she said "Well, yeah." as if that should have been self-evident. I asked about other religions, what about their understanding of god? She said "Oh, well I studied Mankind's Search for God, so I learned about those already." I just rolled my eyes.

I submit that, to those of us out there (former JW's and those never affiliated with them alike) with open minds, it is IMPOSSIBLE to say that you know enough about God to dedicate your life to his service when the only knowledge you have about him is from books published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. You heard me, I said impossible. But, how often do you see it happen? These kids, raised in this religion, taught these books, and then BOOM they get baptized. They see their friends doing it, the attention, the standing ovations at conventions, maybe dinner at Ryan's Steak House for a change and they want that, too. And what do you get? Is this how you create an effective minister? Are these kids ready for this "dedication?" Most of them are not and then what happens? They find themselves in some form of trouble or another and they get df'd and then their lives are turned upside down.

I will write more in a little while under this same topic. I welcome your comments on the preceding.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Funny thing, one of the things that attracted me to my present belief sysetm is the notion that we are created noble and only through our moral choices do we abase ourselves. No "original sin" crap, just personal responsiblitiy for our own behavior and spiritual growth and development.

carmel

• Joysome
    Joysome

Carmel,

Is this a specific religion or something. Or something that you thought of? I realized I sound very smart-mouthy so just to let you know that I am NOT trying to sound that way AT ALL. I am really curious.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    How many of you remember this scripture:

I am a good for nothing slave. What I have done is what I ought to have done. ?

If you can tell me where that scripture is located I would appreciate it. Now, what does that scripture mean to you?

Luke 17:7-10 (from the New American Standard Bible):

"Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'? "But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'? He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'"

I agree that the JW's murder the meaning of this text (and many others).

Taking the context into consideration, we see that Jesus was talking about matters of sin, forgiveness toward brothers and faith.In that context, I would understand this text to be saying that we should not become arrogant about works we have done for God or for His people. Our debt of sin is erased by our faith in Christ as a free gift, not by any mountain of good works we can perform. No matter how much we do, we are still sinners in God's eyes, worthy of nothing on our own merits. But He gives us everything freely through His Son. Therefore, we have no reason to feel superior to anyone because of what we do; we are all equal in God's eyes.

Now how does that square with concepts like "field service reports," "pioneers," "special pioneers," "regular publishers," "inactive ones," etc.?

• Flash
    Flash

It's how these scriptures are misused, the empowerment talk that's the big problem for me. It was alright for us think for ourselves to become a JW but after that we are to surrender our critical thinking to the GB???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit