Are You In The Antiques Trade & Separately - Ebay Question

by Celtic 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

I'm interested to hear whether any of you are in the antiques trade, and if so, specifically, within which sector?

Ourselves, the family business, we deal in antiquarian books, maps and prints, generally topographical english counties 1550-1860, although we do have a wider stock. We do not deal in reproductions, only antiquarian stock. In business 35 yrs plus. Would you perhaps be interested in any English counties antiquarian maps or prints? Steel, Copper and Wood engravings are available.

Perhaps you would enjoy owning a 19th or 18th century original print of Stratford Upon Avon - Shakespeare Country, or an old street map of London from the 1700's, perhaps fashion is your interest, or ornithology. If you would like us to post a specific request onto Ebay, please ask, we'll me more than happy to oblige.

Of you Ebayers out there, what sensible trading tips do you have to offer besides the glaringly obvious?

Question about the States and Ebayers: Why is it that on so many products sold through Ebay, originating from the USA, will not post overseas? This is infuriating. Please let me know, or if you would like to bend loopholes in the system to get around this.

Best regards

Mark A Price - Cornwall UK

• neverthere
    neverthere

I can tell you from my experiences with Ebay, as a seller and a buyer that shipping overseas can be expensive and difficult. Some Ebayers just do not want to bother with having to get quotes for things to be sent over seas. I have had people purchase (I ship anywhere, buyers pay the shipping) and refuse to pay for an item because they thought that the shipping was too much. They never asked first.

Diana

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have sold alot on ebay but also find this to be true, what the last poster said >>I have had people purchase (I ship anywhere, buyers pay the shipping) and refuse to pay for an item because they thought that the shipping was too much. They never asked first.>>

If someone wants to buy an item I am selling and they live outside the US, they can contact me and offer to pay the extra shipping costs, but no one ever does. The one time I didn't specify selling only to a US address, I told the buyer that shipping was more than the ebay page indicated since he lived in Germany. He freaked out and refused to pay the difference. So I only sell now to US addresses. Lots less trouble.

• bisous
    bisous

It is true that shipping is more expensive than domestic (naturally); but most sellers place a disclaimer on every item regarding domestic vs. overseas shipping and thus avoid frustrating potential bidders. This is the best way to handle the situation ... win/win, sellers develop an int'l market and buyers who truly want the item will pay the price.

• hornetsnest
    hornetsnest

Hi, Folks!

Antiques are a little out of my line. I'm getting to be an antique myself, so I figure that I've got enough. (Grin)

We sell a good volume on eBay (5,000+ Nintendo games and accessaries in the past year) and actually get a surprising volume of business from overseas. Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, and mainland China is where we do most of it in the Far East, while it's primarilarly the European nations in the other direction. There's a trickle from South and Central America and a flood from Canada.

Most will email in advance and ask the S&H for that country for whatever they are interested in. I'll check with the USPS Postage Calculator that's online (http://ircalc.usps.gov/), add about a buck to cover the cost of our packing materials and a 30 day guarantee, and quote that figure to them. We also mention that there is a big discount for multiple purchases, as we can combine shipping. There are very few complaints.

It's really not that difficult. It's my hunch that most people don't get into it due to the fear of the unknown. As a result, many will discourage overseas business by charging more "just to be safe", if you follow my meaning.

As far as sensible trading tips, here are a few generic ones that may help. Of course, the field is so huge that a specific question may be more productive.

1. Keep in mind that 75% of the bidding will be done on the last day. Most people don't want to bid too early, as that tips off others that they are interested. This doesn't mean that the other days are wasted, as that's when people discover the auction and click the "Watch this item" link. When it gets short, then they bid. I've had things climb over $50.00 in the last minute!

2. You may wonder if something is worth listing. One way to get an idea of an item's value is to type its name into one of eBay's search bars, and when that comes up, look on the left hand border of the page. You will see the link "Completed Items". When that comes up, you will have a list of all the similar items that have sold in the past 30 days, along with the prices they went for.

3. Be careful how you construct your headers for the listings. Don't put in such words as "Cheap" or "Rare". Put stuff like that in the descriptions. Put words that people will enter in the search bar when they are looking for that product. Put as many as you can think of that are related to your item. Abbreviate connecting words like "w/" instead of "with", for instance. This will increase the number of people who discover your auction. The more people, the more bids. The more bids, the higher the ending price.

4. Be very careful about your spelling, especially in the headers. To understand what I mean, put "Nintendo 64" in the search bar and see what comes up. Now try it again using these misspellings: "Nitendo 64" and "Ninetendo 64". They will be there, but in fewer number. Not many people will find them, and they will go for lower prices due to that. (Which is a good hunch for prospective buyers!) (Grin) Also watch the little things. You will get different results for "Princess Diana doll" than you will "Princess Diana Dolls" or "Hummel Redheads" than you will "Hummel Red heads".

5. Don't control your payment methods too tightly. Many if not most new ones don't have PayPal and don't know how to use it. If you accept only PayPal, that eliminates about half your prospective customers right there! Many others, including some very experienced ones, don't like PayPal and won't use it.

We have good success by accepting PayPal, money orders, and personal checks. We ship within hours of getting a PayPal notice of payment or receiving a money order, but we hold up shipment for a personal check for about 10 days after it is deposited in our bank. We've only had 2 bad checks, and one of those was eventually paid.

6. Don't allow the idea of an eBay store bother you. They are simple to set up, and is a central place where people can go to see everything that you have on auction. This encourages multiple purchases. One Canadian gentleman bought 73 items to be shipped all at once, and once they were received, promptly ordered another 26! The links are automatically listed on all of your listing pages, and you are given a standard online address to refer others to. Here is ours, should you like to see what a store looks like. (http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=68775048&ssPageName=L2) At the moment we have about 140 items in there.

Hope this helps!

Tom

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have only purchased things on Ebay as I have no credit card to sell items on ebay. All the items I have bought have been as was posted and I didn't mind the postage or shipping as it was only coming from the USA.

I love antiques. I also have three mini minature Royal Doulton Toby's, they are beautiful, two of them are dated and stamp identifiable, 1920, and the other Toby is Brass solid, however no markings, but had it appraised as well and it is also Royal Doulton Toby. It was used as a tooth pick holder origanally. All three pieces are appraised at 1000.00 however the appraiser told me that if a person is wanting them badly enough for their collection they will manytimes pay more.

Actually everything I own is identifiable with markings and stamps. I have several from Italy as well and birds too with numbers and identifaible through markings.

I enjoy everything like that. And I also have antique miniture dolls, from France and Spain.

I enjoy antique furniture however my apt is so small and all the items I own are not true antiques, just my dressers which are 85 yrs. old. they were my grandma's

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit