Jehovahs Witnesses and the Name , HOW Important. ?

by smiddy 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS bypasses many of the directions given by Christ.

If you chorologicaly examine the doctrines of the WTS from 1874 up until today you can see evidence of doctrines which were devised to cover over previously false doctrines, such as the return of Christ in 1874 .

From the original inception as a bible teaching Christian institution the WTS has born and grew upon its own corruption doctrinal wise.

• Sabin
    Sabin

what I find most ironic is that they jump up & down declaring how important God's name is to them & how it must be put on high BLAH BLAH BLAH! & yet they themselves have reduced it to a mere letter J.....w.org.

How would you like it if you were referred to by a single letter.

From Sabin. OH sorry, I mean SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Giordano said:

Being uninformed as to the basis of the name Jehovah, which was invented by a Catholic Monk who was as ignorant as anyone else, is no excuse for the Society.

How many times is this idiotic bit of misinformation going to get circulated on this forum?

Yes the name Jehovah was used by the English speaking American colonists and of course those who stayed back in England.

A Spanish monk didn't "invent" anything. He transliterated what had been written in vowel pointed Hebrew for centuries.

It's really very off putting that some ex-jw's grab onto this fallacy in trying to disprove the claim of Truth by the WT, how can you fight idiotic suppositions with more idiotic suppositions? Mind boggling.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Stan livedeath said:

i may be wrong--but--
    in that indiana jones movie--someone said--there was no J in the hebrew language--it was an I

Yes, you are wrong.

If you'd read my first post on this thread you'd have realized that it was Latin. The Latin alphabet of the Romans didn't have a J nor a U. (So Julius would have been IVLIVS and pronounced yoo-lee-oos).

The masoretes wrote the vowel points on the Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh Hebrew letters of the tetragram and gave it an E, O and A for vowel sounds, which in the Latin alphabet came out transliterated as IEHOVA.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But you have to admit Oppostate that using Yahweh instead of Jehovah would more accurate to the orginal used by the Hebrews.

Its kind of irrelevant anyways.

Most scholars believe "Jehovah" (also transliterated as "Yehowah"to be a hybrid form derived by combining the Latin letters JHVH with the vowels of Adonai. Some hold that there is evidence that a form of the Tetragrammaton similar to Jehovah may have been in use in Semitic and Greek phonetic texts and artifacts from Late Antiquity. Others say that it is the pronunciation Yahweh that is testified in both Christian and pagan texts of the early Christian era.

Karaite Jews, as proponents of the rendering Jehovah, state that although the original pronunciation of יהוה has been obscured by disuse of the spoken name according to oral Rabbinic law, well-established English transliterations of other Hebrew personal names are accepted in normal usage, such as Joshua, Jeremiah, Isaiah or Jesus, for which the original pronunciations may be unknown.They also point out that "the English form Jehovah is quite simply an Anglicized form of Yehovah," and preserves the four Hebrew consonants "YHVH" (with the introduction of the "J" sound in English).Some argue that Jehovah is preferable to Yahweh, based on their conclusion that the Tetragrammaton was likely tri-syllabic originally, and that modern forms should therefore also have three syllables.

Biblical scholar Francis B. Dennio, in an article he wrote, in the Journal of Biblical Literature, said: "Jehovah misrepresents Yahweh no more than Jeremiah misrepresents Yirmeyahu. The settled connotations of Isaiah and Jeremiah forbid questioning their right." Dennio argued that the form "Jehovah" is not a barbarism, but is the best English form available, being that it has for centuries gathered the necessary connotations and associations for valid use in English.

• jhine
    jhine

As a long term member of the hated " Christendom " I get annoyed at the fallacies put about by the WT .

I have been told on many occasions the reason that Jews did not pronounce God's name was because of superstition , so linking the reason to wrong practices rather than reverence and respect .

Then this notion that the Tetragrammaton was removed at some early point in the history of the Christian Church by us naughty appostes ( Christendom ) from the NT . It has been established on other threads that the four letters were never in the NT

Smiddy is quite correct in saying that many hymns written into the 20th century contained the name Jehovah and even today I have heard it used in sermons and talks . Not very often as it is considered old fashioned and Yaweh is more often used , but in reality that is the more correct pronunciation anyway .

So this whole idea of Christendom trying to obliterate God's name is rubbish . The real reasons for their insistance on using Jehovah are yes , to distinguish them from other faiths and because they are fed these lies about appostate Christendom make them feel superior .Also so that Jesus is largely taken out of the picture and the GB replace him in the lives of Witnesses . Lots of good points made above .

It is a very clever strategy to negate the real Good News which is about Christ's atoning death on behalf of every person . Then the GB become God's representative on earth and command absolute power

Jan

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

In northern California, there's a religious radio station that you can listen to down around Chico. Last year, when driving through the area, there was a program on and the guy talked about the name "Jehovah". He stated that it is the commonly used name in English. Other names are Yahweh or Jahveh (J in Hebrew is pronounce with a Y sound and V in Hebrew is pronounced with a W sound, thus some say Jahveh is the correct name, but I digress...). This guy didn't say anything at all about JWs... he was just being matter of fact about the name and its use in modern-day English.

I couldn't help but chuckle at this preacher from Christendom using the name Jehovah. I shook my head at this because of how long I was indoctrinated by WTBTS saying that Christendom hates that name and refuses to use it. Big ol' lie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit