Jehovahs Witnesses and the Name , HOW Important. ?

by smiddy 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If they wanted to follow the Christian example, they would be called Jesus' Witnesses.

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·de′a and Sa·mar′i·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

It was quite a backflip when they took the name, since Russell said no name but Jesus' should be used .

All true teachers are not only sent by Christ but receive their instructions from him; and any man who attempts to put his own or any other name upon all or any portion of the church is an opponent, an adversary to the true and only Lord and Head of the church." Zion's Watch Tower Oct 1888 p.3

Russell expressed that salvation is through Jesus, which is the core message of the New Testament. It certainly was not Jehovah, which is not a name that appears in the New Testament.

"The correct Scriptural conviction that the only name by which any can be saved is the name of Jesus: - faith in his sacrifice, and obedience and devotion to him."Zion's Watchtower 1901 Aug 15 p.264
  • Sabin
    Sabin

Philippians 2:9-11. For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position & kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, so that in the name of JESUS every knee should bend of those in the heaven & those on the earth & those under the ground, & every tongue should openly acknowledge that JESUS CHRIST is LORD to the glory of God the Father".

I don't think a God of love is going to be that bothered if his name is pronounced accurately or not. He gave us Jesus for a reason didn't he, isn't it his name we should be acknowledging to God's glory. JDub's go on & on about it cause they think it makes them superior to others, they have put themselves on a peddle-stool.

Mad Irishman the reason X-JDub's get annoyed isn't the name of God so much as the way active JDub's think it's their god given right to treat others like dirt then run & hide behind that name. If they use Jehovah then they can act like the Israelites of the Hebrew scriptures & psychologically stone people, whereas to use Jesus would mean they would have to drop the self-righteous act & be humble like the apostate Samaritan. They are not going to do that are they. I know this is abit off track but oh well.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Thank you Paul, you said it so much better.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"The correct Scriptural conviction that the only name by which any can be saved is the name of Jesus: - faith in his sacrifice, and obedience and devotion to him."Zion's Watchtower 1901 Aug 15 p.264

Funny hey... If a witness were to use that expression verbatim, they would be counselled! Yet there it is...in the WATCHTOWER itself!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Mad said: You don't know what you're talking about. Go read English literature being written in colonial America and all they use is the name Jehovah. The Puritans in Plymouth used it. Roger Williams in Rhode Island used it. It is even on Anne Hutchinson's grave stone (a founder of Rhode Island). Jehovah is on gravestones all over New England in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. People started talking it out of Bibles at the turn of the 20th Century. It was there all those years before that. Really, it is mind-numbing how ignorant people are of our own American history..............

I am tempted to say how ignorant a believing witness is.

Here's something for you to understand Scooter....... nothing you wrote above is germane to the WTBTS deciding to use the name Jehovah. It was their ignorance that they conflated a name as something special........ If it was as popular as you say I would assume you could cite a web site to demonstrate that. But lets accept that..... after all you have mentioned all of these famous bible scholars. Being uninformed as to the basis of the name Jehovah, which was invented by a Catholic Monk who was as ignorant as anyone else, is no excuse for the Society. They don't get a pass. Nor do you for being rude

Your point is more MAD then lucid. Your attempts to prop up and defend the WTBTS is noted. They are not going to be pleased that you are on this site spinning your wheels.

By the way I am not so dumb that I failed to note you presented no web site to check out what you claimed. And by the way John Steinbeck referenced Jehovah in the Grapes of Wrath probably got that tip from Hemingway. Big Whoop!

I am however pissed off about this: To try and rewrite history is obscene and rather bizarre. Jehovah's Witnesses did not invent the name "Jehovah" in the English language.

There was nothing obscene about what I said however I'll grant you as a believing JW apologist it may present as bizarre. To that I'd say grow up.......... that's an important part of getting out of a failed religion.

They picked their name, made it their own and screwed up royally.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I don't have a problem with the name Jehovah being that Bibles for many, many years, have clearly used the name 'Jesus' and other similar Biblical names that all the same utilize the 'Je' prefix. Names like Jeremiah, Jehoahaz, Jehoram, etc. And all of these names connotate Jehovah in some form.

I do have a problem with the abusive nature in which the WTS uses the name Jehovah. Even using the name in places where Jesus' name rightfully should be in the Bible.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Luke 1:31 and, look! you will conceive in your womb and give birth to a son, and you are to call his name Jesus.

Luke 2:21 Now when eight days came to the full for circumcising him, his name was also called Jesus, the name called by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

The actual name given by the angel in the language of that of what Mary and Joseph spoke would have been Yehoshua and not Jesus.

Quick look at how the name Jesus came about:

Shortened form of Yehoshua is Yeshua

Greek for Yeshua is Iesous

Latin for Iesous is Iesus

English for Iesus is Jesus

Yehoshua is said to mean Jehovah Is Salvation

1 John 3:23 Indeed, this is his commandment, that we have faith in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and be loving one another, just as he gave us commandment

Having faith ‘in the name of’ Jesus (Yehoshua) means having faith that Jehovah Is Salvation.

Also Jesus himself said:

John 5:43 I have come in the name of my Father, but YOU do not receive me; if someone else arrived in his own name, YOU would receive that one

John 10:25 Jesus answered them: “I told YOU, and yet YOU do not believe. The works that I am doing in the name of my Father, these bear witness about me.

And again why the name Jehovah:

Hebrew יהוה (Yod Heh Vav Heh)

Yehoshua (Jehoshua) [YHVH Is Salvation]

Yehoshaphat (Jehoshaphat) [YHVH Is Judge]

Yehoram (Jehoram) [YHVH Is Exalted]

Zekharyah (Zechariah) [YHVH Has Remembered]

Tzefanyah (Zephaniah) [YHVH Has Concealed]

Halleluyah (Hallelujah)

Yah (Jah)

YeHoVaH (Jehovah)

• myelaine
    myelaine
    I think the biggest problem with the WTBTS use of the name Jehovah is the fact that they have obscured the nature of God by insisting that Jehovah = The Father. The "name" YHWH doesn't mean Father it means I Am that I Am.
    If God Almighty wants to express Himself to His people as the Son or as the Holy Spirit the WTBTS has completely shut off that avenue of approach to the JW by denying God His latitude...going so far as to demonize the very suggestion that God Almighty is anyone OTHER than the Father. That dogmatic stance is very important to the elitist mentality of JW's.

love michelle
  • Simon
    Simon
    They are right Simon. "Jehovah" is the English term for God's name

Except they thought that it meant they were right about everything. They took is as validation of the beliefs, not just the name of god.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What inspired me to write this post is the J.W.`s who brought me into the religion in 1960 claimed Christendom`s religions hated Gods name and were hiding it from the common people I , being a 19 year old ,ignorant of the Bible ,bought it hook line and sinker. What did I know.!

If a Spanish Monk coined this name "Jehovah" from the Tetragrammaton in the 13th Century , then obviously it has been around for Centuries since then , and used in literature , and inscribed on Churches and no doubt gravestones throughout the world .Putting the lie to Jehovah`s Witness claims , that Christendom is trying to hide it from the common people.

Jehovah`s Witnesses today , as a whole , are completely ignorant of how much use the name of Jehovah is used in modern day society dating back to the Spanish Monk.( outside of the W.T.`s usage of it )

The word "Jehovah" was used as a code word in the 2nd world war by the United States Army .and is also used on some secular buildings such as a police precinct in the U.S.A. "The Jehovah House".

And to top it off many of Christendoms religions still do use the name Jehovah in their worship in song and in prayer , however you won`t hear that fact in a K.H.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit