What did we talk about?

by seattleniceguy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I enjoyed a thoughtful discussion with a friend last night that lasted into the wee hours of the morning. We two XJWs talked about things like direction and purpose in life, religion, and the like. About three-quarters of the way through, it struck me that this conversation would have been impossible only a year ago, when we were both JWs, because we were objectively discussing these matters without regard for what the official JW party line was.

Suddenly, I wondered, what did I talk about when I was a JW? It's actually a bit hard to remember. I have never been a fan of superficial dialogue, so I think I talked about the same subjects. I suppose I just censored myself from "dangerous" ground. Thinking back, I believe that the topic would spirit from one subject to the next when verging on territory that might contradict the WT universe-view. Knowing what I am able to experience now, I think that my conversations must have been terribly shallow and uninteresting.

How has the quality of your conversations changed since leaving the Witnesses?

SNG

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Interesting question, seattleniceguy!

I've got to agree... having a serious conversation with most Witnesses was rather difficult, because of the obligation to adhere to the 'party line'. I knew a few Witnesses--most of them met online--with whom I could pretty much talk about anything, even differing from the Society a little, as long we didn't challenge the basics.

It's so much more interesting to discuss--or think about--ethics or philosophy, however, without having to consider everything in light of a rigid fundamentalist morality.

• onintwo
    onintwo

Actually, SNG, I had a similar discussion with my son during a lunch break today.

I remember when I was younger and my wife and I went out with other couples, NONE of the topics were interesting! Unless you consider sister so-and-so telling you how many studies she started that day, etc.

As a matter of fact, it's my belief that most JW's have an arrested development in the conversational arts. Since most of their thinking has already been "done" for them by the WTS, how can it be otherwise? I am reminded of the mother bird, say a robin, finding a worm, chewing it up for her little babies and then depositing it into their waiting mouths.

Except with the baby robins, at least, one day, they get to find the worm themselves!

Most of them live their lives in such fear that they don't dare have an opinion on any topic. (other than the party line) It's truly sad. Because most of them probably would consider themselves "educated" and "well-read".

Onintwo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit