Please help......

by Nan 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nan
    Nan

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me whom Rev. 5:10 is referring to??

Thanks very much!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"...the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song:
    "You are worthy to take the scroll
    and to open its seals,
    because you were slain,
    and with your blood you purchased men
    for God
    from every tribe and language and people and nation.
    10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
    and they will reign on the earth."

11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand..."

Seems to me that the context is suggesting Jesus, but it might be Ted Jaracz...

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

The verse above is the one you are referring to. Looking back to the beginning of the chapter, we see this chapter refers to a certain scroll that only Jesus Christ himself is worthy of opening. Then, if we scan forward to verse 9, which preceeds the verse you are asking about, we find the answer to your question:

9 And they sang a new song:
    "You are worthy to take the scroll
    and to open its seals,
    because you were slain,
    and with your blood you purchased men for God
    from every tribe and language and people and nation.

The answer then is "men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation". A kingdom of Christ's followers to reign on the Earth.

Does this help?

• Nan
    Nan

Hi again,

I'm sorry.....I meant who do Jehovah Witnesses say are the ones who will "reign on the earth" in Rev. 5:10??

• Poztate
    Poztate
    .....I meant who do Jehovah Witnesses say are the ones who will "reign on the earth" in Rev. 5:10??

I have been out a long time but I believe they teach the elders will be those who reign on the earth. It seems to me in a few articles they refer to those elders as princes who would be in control after the final part of the remnent were no longer on earth.

Years ago an elder I knew was talking about this happening and he was getting quite excited with this idea.It sure doesn't take much to keep some of the dubs in line.Just a little pie in the sky.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Welcome Nan!

The NWT reads:

And they sing a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals, because you were slaughtered and with your blood you bought persons for God out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth."

A conversation with a Christadelphian some time ago brought me to this Watchtower explanation:

In support of their position that no one of earth will ever go to heaven and that God?s kingdom will be wholly an earthly one Christadelphian writers cite such texts as: "The Lord of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem." "The Lord shall be king over all the earth." "And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth."?Isa. 24:23; Zech. 14:9; Rev. 5:10
    the third text, telling of Christians reigning "on" the earth, the Greek word here translated "on" is epi, and it can just as well be rendered "over" as "on," and in fact is rendered "over" by such Bible translators as Goodspeed, Knox, Weymouth and the New World Bible Translation Committee.

Knox, born a protestant, converted to Roman Catholicism and translated the Vulgate (ie not Greek manuscripts) from the Latin to English. Knox's 'over' is a translation of 'super' in the Latin Vulgate. It is not, technically, as claimed by the WTBTS, a direct translation of 'epi' from Greek because Knox's aim was to produce an English translation of the Latin Vulgate. His efforts were overshadowed by the "Divino Afflante Spiritu" 1943, promoting Biblical studies and use of original language sources.

Weymouth, is at variance with the NWT with:

John 1: 1 - 3In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.

Goodspeed, at variance for his use of L ORD in place of the Tetragrammaton .

Is this of help?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit