Dental X-Rays

by Beans 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Beans
    Beans

Every time I go to the Dentist they insist on taking x-rays, I see no need. If you go every six months and get x-rays are you getting overexposure to the effects? Are x-rays a good cash grab for the Dentist?

Another thing, do kids really need them?

Beans

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

My dentist takes x-rays once every 2 years. Once every six months is overkill.

• morty
    morty

He/she is taken ya for a ride Beans!

As far as it hurting your teeth or doing damge, I don't think so, unless your in the family way

• Scully
    Scully

Personally, I do not think it is necessary for adults who have good oral hygiene to have x-rays every 6 months. Same with kids with emphasis on good oral hygiene. I allow x-rays on my kids once a year because they are growing and you want to make sure everything is where it ought to be. And for myself, I have x-rays about every second year, and our dentist tells me that my teeth are in great shape.

Make sure the lead apron covers you and the kids from just below your chin to mid thigh. The thyroid gland (in the neck) needs to be covered, just as much as the 'nads need to be protected.

I agree that a lot of dentists just assume that they can do any procedure that is covered under your insurance plan. (Easy money for them.) Sit down with them first and ask them what is necessary. If they don't see any signs of decay on the kids' teeth, you can talk to them about skipping the x-rays until the next visit.

If I went to a doctor to complain about a sore arm, they would only order x-rays if a physical examination suggested that a fracture might be the cause of the pain. They don't do the x-ray first, then do an exam later.

Love, Scully

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

I do not wish to be alarmist, but a recent article on the BBC News might be of interest. The chance of getting cancer from X-rays is very slight, but non the less. Is this your dental practitioner just doing this procedure to boost your medical bill?

The BBC article :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3442113.stm

and a University of Manitoba site on the subject :

http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/wisdomtooth/xrays.htm

Mr A Cynic

• wasasister
    wasasister

Many dentists have converted to digital x-rays, which are far lower in radiation exposure than normal "film" type. You might seek out a dentist who offers digital instead.

Often times, problems can be detected on x-rays which are not visible, even with a good pair of "loops" or noticed with a probe. Interproximal decay is often present before the patient feels discomfort or is visible to the eye. The ADA suggests at least four bitewings twice per year.

Other technology, such as laser cavity detection, can also be used without the exposure to x-rays. Ask your dentist if he/she is familiar with this type of equipment.

Of course, technology - and training to use it - is expensive. If your dentist offers these kinds of advances, don't complain about fees. Not only is the equipment pricey, but keeping up with continuing education and learning about modern techniques of disease prevention and detection costs big bucks.

• seawolf
    seawolf

I just happened to read this link before coming here. I thought this thread was going to be about this story

Researchers say dentist x-rays causing hundreds of cancers each year ? UK

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/index.php?newsid=5618

I get them every few years. I did get them a bit more often before but no dental insurance now.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Nonsense! The dose of radiation is far less than we encounter in our everyday activities. As for milking dental insurance, the cost of a single x-ray at most dental offices barely covers the material and labor that goes into it.

Go digital, save a tooth.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Usually my dentist takes X-ays every year or two...every six months is overkill.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

The amount of x-rays done varies with the treatment you are receiving. Regular dental check-ups come twice a year for me. I get an x-ray of both sides top and bottom once a year. If you change dentists, the new dentist will want a complete set of x-rays, despite with the prior dentist did.

I don't think it's good to get a set of x-rays just because you are going in for a normal cleaning and check-up at six month intervals.

I am not a passive patient myself. Whether it be the dentist or the doctor, I want them to tell me what they are doing, why they are doing it, etc. If I believe it isn't necessary, I tell them or request additional information. Some dentists are quite radical. I once had to change dentists due to a new insurance plan, and was told during a simple routine check-up that my jaw needed to be broken and all my teeth reset because my bite was "off"!! Mind you, I was 53 at the time, and never had problems with my "bite".

I listened to her bizzare annalysis and then went home and called the head dentist at their office with my concerns and asked him to pull my records and take a look. He told me that I needed no such radical invasive procedures. (which I certainly already knew) When I went back in six months, she was GONE.

Other dentists have tried to convince me that old crowns need to be replaced. My answer to them was, no way. There was no justification, they just wanted to bring in the money. Even if you have dental insurance, crowns still cost us around $425.00 locally.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit