The Firefly Minister

by iloowy.goowy 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• iloowy.goowy
    iloowy.goowy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcOIkacI9i4

From Ron Frye, 2014

When I was a child, my parents and I visited one of my mother's sisters and her family in Bloomington, Indiana. One warm evening l remember experiencing the joy of seeing hundreds and hundreds of tiny luminous insects punctuating the night sky. Their soft, intermittent bursts of light were a wonder to behold. I know there is a scientific explanation for this phenomenon but I would rather not hear it; I am content with the mysterious wonder of it and the joy it brought to a young boy’s heart. Now, about 80-years later, that young boy is an old man - old man who still remembers a younger self so pleasured by one of Yahweh God's endless creations.

Having been a disciple of the Lord Jesus for more than sixty years, I recently took a personal inventory of how much I have accomplished in advancing God's purpose in Jesus Christ. After careful reflection I decided that in all honesty I hadn't accomplished much at all. At first I was disappointed in my conclusion and ii took awhile to put the matter in perspective. After considerable reflection and self-analysis I have concluded that the very little that I have accomplished in my lifetime probably is true of many other Christians.

Only a few believers have accomplished so much that their life and ministry have been preserved. I have in mind men like the apostle Paul, Peter and John whose ministries have enlightened untold millions for generations of time and will continue to inspire others to become disciples in the time that remains before the Lord Jesus returns. But during the lives of such men there were other men, less known even then, and many women who were shining lights in the darkened world to the few who knew them and were inspired by them. And down through the centuries there have been a few who have become world-known in their ministries and the impact they had in relation to the preservation of the Christian faith. But, again, during those many centuries there must have been millions who are lost to history but whose little light of ministry illuminated the lives of many.

I think of being a part of that latter group-the untold millions who for but a moment showed forth a small glow of spiritual light that benefitted a few. Perhaps it is a boast even to lay claim to being a part of that larger assembly of believers, I do not know. But it brings me joy to think of myself as one of the lesser ones of Jesus' disciples, and that is where the metaphor of the fire-fly comes in. In this intensely dark world every faithful Christian is reflecting a soft laminating light of God and Christ in their lives. They are having influences on the lives of others that they may never realize they are having. From their own point of view they may think that they don't amount to much, but they are loved and treasured by God and Christ.

This disciple has experienced the dramatic changes even a small amount of God's Holy Spirit has made in his life. The good accomplished as a result of that has been God's work. “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Eph. 2:10). What an honor it has been to be drawn to Christ and received, as a result of faith, adoption into the family of God, So, after all has been considered, this little fire-fly of a Christian recognizes that he and many millions like him bring joy to the Father's heart and Jesus is not ashamed to call such ones brothers (Heb. 2:11). In the end it has made a life worth living and filled an old man's heart with gratitude and thankfulness.

R. Frye

• buzkid
    buzkid

I recognize that voice in the video from somewhere.

Very nice experience. I love fireflies, and the title of the post reminded me of the cool song by Owl City.
    (at youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4 )

Thanks for sharing!

• iloowy.goowy
    iloowy.goowy

The voice sounds like "V" from Watchtower Comments.

• iloowy.goowy
    iloowy.goowy

Here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAdLccBE_js

Have you ever seen a full-grown elephant weighing thousands of pounds chained to a small stake in the ground when you visited a circus? Did it ever enter your mind and make you wonder how such a small stake in the ground could hold such a huge animal from straying outside the boundaries of the length of its chain and stake? The answer to this question is ~ the elephant’s mind was conditioned.

It is the custom of trainers when they are assigned to a young elephant for its training to fasten one of its legs with a strong chain that is then affixed to a deeply planted stake. The young elephant will instinctively and repeatedly try to break free, but all its efforts fail. As time passes, the young elephant accepts the fact that it is impossible for him to go beyond the limitation of its staked chain, so it gives up and it becomes a prisoner of its mind. At this point of its life, the elephant need no longer be chained to a deeply planted stake. Any stake and chain will now do. Even as it matures into a full-grown elephant it remains a prisoner of its conditioned mind.

Is it possible for a human being to, likewise, become a prisoner of their mind? Yes, it is! To some degree we all become conditioned to what we have been taught and have accepted as truth. This is especially true in our religious beliefs. When we first become seriously associated with a church or religious organization, it is at that stage that we begin to become conditionally chained to that particular belief system. This is especially dangerous if the teachings are not based on the pure word of God, but rather on man-made interpretations. As time passes, the mind begins to accept these beliefs and we become deeply entrenched in their life. This is sometimes described as being religiously shackled or being in spiritual bondage.

How is this mind conditioning accomplished? There are many ways, we will name a few. When studies are geared to a man’s book and questions are discouraged by the leader with words such as, “just set that aside for now, and as we move along it will explain itself”; when the reading of other religious material is discouraged on the premise that such views might be erroneous and deceptive; when attending any other group’s religious services are looked upon as being unfaithful and one is made to feel guilty; when someone misses church meetings and they are questioned about where they were; when guilty feelings and fears are planted in the mind of its group by the leadership; when the leadership controls the activities of its members; when a leader states that his teachings are based not only on Jesus, but additionally on something else that has been revealed to them by God which they are now privileged to share with the household of faith; when rules of conduct and dress are insisted upon in order to be accepted; or works are stressed as a sign of one’s worthiness in God’s eyes ~ we should see a red flag go up!

Anything or anyone who attempts to take away our freedom to choose should immediately be recognized as a danger signal. Many will try to talk others into following their way. But, there is only one safe way. Jesus tells us this in John 14:6 (NIV), “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” In John 8:31-32, 36 (NIV) Jesus makes it very clear about the Way we must take to be truly free. “To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”

Note that Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are my disciples.” If all Christians held only to Jesus’ teachings, we would not have the myriad religious denominations or sects. We would have but one unified and harmonious body all looking to their Head, Jesus Christ, for guidance at all times and in all things. Why is this deception so prevalent? One of the reasons and main causes is that Satan is still deceiving many as he has done successfully for thousands of years. Perhaps God has allowed this as a test of loyalty to His Son during this time when the bride of Christ is being selected and developed as born-again new creatures.

How do we allow the Lord to accomplish the work that He has begun in us? Obedience to His will is the answer (Philippians. 2:12-13). It is essential to know what God’s will is for us. We have been given the Holy Spirit to shape and guide our thinking as we ponder the Word of God. For this to happen we must be continually searching the Scriptures prayerfully while allowing the Holy Spirit to enlighten our understanding. 1 John 2:27 (NIV) tells us, “As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.” The easy way is to follow man’s teachings which is the herd instinct; but this is not God’s way. The Apostle Paul commends the brethren at Berea for not merely taking his word, but that they checked his teachings with Scripture (Acts 17:11). Then again he admonishes everyone in 1 Thessalonians 5:21 (NAS), “Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.” Finally we read in Galatians 5:1 (NAS), “It was for freedom that Christ set us free, therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.” Liberty, in Christ, is a precious gift!

E. Weeks ©CDMI

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I used to live by the backwaters of a large lake system, at least 100 acres of marsh. The fireflies on a couple nights a year were spectacular. I still hope to time it right when I return on occasion, but rarely do I get treated to the light shows of my youth.

BTW, I know the lights were not for me, it's a giant orgy, the bugs locate each other in the dark. Before that they were predatory larvae that inject venom to paralyze small aquatic animals. Also, a bit jolting is that some species of fireflies as adults are also predatory and almost exclusively eat other fireflies that are attracted to their light hoping for some sexytime.

I understand why the narrator of that video didn't want to hear the scientific explanation for the lights he enjoyed watching, the truth is something can be both beautiful from one perspective and quite horrific from another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit