charitable work

by kgfreeperson 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I was surprised to find that my JW friend had been on the board of directors of a charitable organization for a number of years because I've read here that any charitable activities are actively discouraged on the basis of either any time spent at any such activities would better be spent in "the preaching work" and that any attempt to solve problem sin "this system" is a waste of time and resources since Jehovah will fix everything permanently in his own time. Can anyone point me to writings of WTS saying that?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

w86 10/1 p. 24 "Love Your Neighbor"?What Is the Most Practical Way? ***

Be

Balanced in Loving Your Neighbor

Rightfully placing primary emphasis upon spiritual help, of course, does not excuse us from offering physical help?either to individuals or to groups?when it is necessary and when we are in a position to do so. We should want to follow the example set by early Christians. (See Acts 11:27-30.) In times of real need or disaster, we should be quick to follow Paul?s advice to "work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith." (Galatians 6:10) To ensure accomplishing the greatest good, Jehovah?s Witnesses generally do this on a personal basis. And since Witnesses who help out in such relief actions serve without pay, administration costs are eliminated.

But while helping others in a physical way, Christians never want to lose sight of their primary obligation, preaching the good news of God?s established Kingdom. That Kingdom will soon rid the world of all sickness, poverty, and need. How gratifying to be able to assist people to gain life in a world where the word "pity" will no longer need to be used. Could you possibly love your neighbor in a way more practical than that?

................................................................................................................................................................................................

To be fair, another ref to Awake 1993 June 8th gave a slightly more positive slant on charitable giving, but recommended great caution. I guess most dubs view the charities with suspicion. But at the end of the day it would be a conscience matter if one got involved especially if that was your working day and not your spare time which should be full of "Spiritual matters" - if you get my drift

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

So my impression is incorrect? charitable work isn't actively discouraged, it is just that it isn't encouraged?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

What has been actively discouraged was affiliating or supporting faith based charities or political human rights causes. The United Way was condemned for it's broad and indiscriminting approach to charitable giving. That is they provide funds to faithbased and even politically oriented groups. They also funded charities that were created and opperated by homosexuals. Additionally they have renounced the practice of paying for administrative costs from the donations. All of this has effectively discouraged giving to "worldly" charities, leaving only themselvs as the recipients. The article was writen for the public and to give the impression to the R &F that the WT is charitable. The loaded language is present however. The word "balanced" means the activity is discouraged or to be minimized.

Working for an agency that collected charitable funds would then be a "consciene" mater unless the charity was faith based or political in it's activity.

The irony is that the WT is recipient of United Way funding .

• Room 215
    Room 215

Kgfree: first and foremost, I commend your JW friend for having the courage to ``swim against the tide" when it comes to charity and social/activism. It must be considered that the WT writers are much more circumspect as to what they say in print in magazines which are, after all, distributed by the millions of copies to the general public. Yet, any long-time JW will confirm that what is often communicated verbally, via ``service talks" by Circuit or District Overseers, is much less temperate in tone. On this subject, it's no uncommon for these people to ask their audiences rhetorically such things as ``why paint the front of the ship when there's an irreparable hole in the stern?"

However much JWs may protest the accusation that they have no social conscience, the reality of the matter is that within the JW culture, peer/social pressure is usually brought to bear on the rare JW who expends time and resources on philanthropy or charity work, especially if he/she does so at times which inhibit his/her meeting attendance or participation in field service.

Any JW who denies this is simply not being honest.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I think he has swum against the tide more than once, but he remains a committed and loyal JW. I, who have no training in the "holding contradictory ideas simultaneously and denying the contradiction" necessary to be both sane and a JW, get baffled and frustrated. But "balanced" is a word he uses often but I think he uses it as you or I would rather than as a code word for "avoid." I am often amazed how he has been able to "cherry pick" WT writings and teachings so that he really has gotten a set of principles for living that are pretty decent. But my poor mind that requires coherence and congruence just has a terrible time with this stuff!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit