JW counseling, 2004 style, over sodas and pizza

by onintwo 9 Replies latest jw friends

• onintwo
    onintwo

This actually happened! A couple weeks ago, my wife and I stopped at our favorite pizza shop after furniture shopping all day Sunday. Settled in at a table directly across from us was a nicely dressed young couple and a similarly dressed grey haired gentleman.

He had a Bible that looked strangely familiar, so I kind of (horrors) eaves-dropped a little. Yep, a JW Elder giving counseling to members of the flock. Seems like young brother Publisher and his lovely young wife were having "family problems". It all related to the young brothers over-attentiveness to his video game habit and computers, or so she says.

Anyway, I'm trying not to be obvious about it. But I did listen in a little, (they never noticed) and the Elder counseled the lady first. Reading from Proverbs, etc. Then the husband. The standard stuff. But what sort of struck me, was the casualness. I guess things have changed since they used to take you into the bookroom at the KH. After the counseling, and before the pizza could get cold, they were all laughing and joking. Wow! The elder could count nearly an hour field service. (if he remembered to say a short prayer AFTER the pizza was consumed, but BEFORE he left the table)

I know, I know, the sarcastic side of me is showing.

But has anyone else ever been or seen someone counseled/reproved over Pepperoni and Olives? Footnote: None of the three drank a beer, although the place brews beer right on site, and they have some very nice ones. I think Video Boy would have had one, were it not for the Elder.

Onintwo

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have been counseled/advised (after coming off as an elder) over a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon -- the elder would not be able to count his time BTW

• onintwo
    onintwo

Yeah, Cabs are good. But a nice Merlot! Ah..... Or a Sherah (spelling?)

Oh, and thanks for the clarification on the counting of time.

Onintwo

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Interesting anecdote, onintwo! I think it really depends on the individual elder, and the culture of the congregaton. Some elders try to make any "counsel" as informal and palatable as possible; others seem to relish the whole back-room drama.

I think it also makes a difference if the couple (in this case the wife) asked for help; that makes them less likely to get the 'back-room' treatment.

Plus, the fact that there was only one elder means that he was acting in a personal capacity, not as a representative of the elder body. Any counsel delivered on behalf of the body has to be given by two elders.

• willyloman
    willyloman

A clear case of "reproving before all onlookers," carried to its logical extreme.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Me wonders if video boy was there for joystick abuse.

• onintwo
    onintwo

Funny, Gary!

But, seriously, on that topic. Did you know that almost all self-abuse goes unreported?

Onintwo.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    Did you know that almost all self-abuse goes unreported

That's fine as long as there are not 2 witnesses to the incident.

By the way - I always had to giggle at the word "self-abuse".....is it really abuse?? I mean - unless you do it wrong and hurt yourself.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Onein you wrote:

Did you know that almost all self-abuse goes unreported?

Well I would have guessed half. I did hear that the elders are good at sticking up for themselves. They almost are never in trouble though because the evidence won't stand up in a judicial committee meeting.

Guess your thread just went south huh!

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Never known too many Elders that would pass up a beer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit