Know Any Muslim Ex-JW's ?

by peacebaby 6 Replies latest jw friends

• peacebaby
    peacebaby

- I miss my friend .......

About 3 years ago, my very best friend 'in the troof' slowly started to fade. She made excuses - she and her husband were too busy running their small business, the baby was sick, the kids had something going on at school, etc... After a while she just stopped. I thought it was her sometimes-opposing husband. We both lived out in the country, 20 mi. from the KH, but only 1/4 mi. from each other. We use to go out door-to-door together - we were a great team! We used to talk on the phone almost every day, and always rode to the meetings together - it was wonderful to have a girlfriend that I could talk so openly to about everything under the sun! She was loud, opinionated and brassy, and I was shy and unassuming but always ready to laugh at her goofiness. Our opposite personalities worked to benefit the other's, and our minds clicked together like cogs on the same gear - I loved her like a blood sister. I tried and tried to get her to talk to me about what was going on, 'cause obviously something was... but she'd laugh it off, change the subject and never answered my direct questions. Pretty soon, she was cutting our phone conversations short, not returning my calls, and ...avoiding me... So I let it be for a while, thinking, "Did I say something to hurt her feelings?.... She just must need some space." My Mom died during that time, and she did come to my house and cried with me and gave me a much needed friend's shoulder - but it was a short visit, and her last. Shortly thereafter came a warning call from the PO that she had dissassociated herself... and was studying Islam in preparation of becoming Muslim!!! You could've knocked me over with a feather! I was to shun her, of course --- but she was already shunning me, and finally I knew why! A few months later, her daughter, who was working at a local store, told me they were moving out of state. Without hesistation, I said, "Tell your mom I'll be calling her." She told me how relieved she was to hear that, since her mom had missed me so much, loved me, and felt so badly about not talking honestly to me about the events happening in her life.

So she came to my house and we finally got to hug, cry, and talk openly about things. The whole time she was begging off going to the meetings, she and her husband were studying Islam with a Muslim couple. This is what I've gathered from our few conversations about it - they now believe it is the oldest(?), historically researchable, 'only true religion'. The say prayers to 'the one true God' 'Allah' several times a day, and worship at a mosque. They believe that Jesus was a prophet(not the Son of God - in my understanding because it is blasphemous to assign to God the act of procreation(?)) as well as Mohammed and others. And they are very sincere. So my natural question to her - "If you truly believe that Islam is 'true', then why didn't you tell me, your best friend? If it's so great - why didn't you feel obligated to enlighten me, too? If you believe it's the path to salvation, why keep it hidden from me, whom you love?" Her answer: "I knew how much you loved Jehovah, and I didn't want to hurt that relationship between you and your God." Well, that wasn't a very good answer, 'cause I vividly remember a time when she loved Jehovah very much, too. Years later I'm still trying to figure it out...

Is she not a true apostate, in terms of Christianity, because Islam rejects the ransome sacrifice of our Saviour, Christ Jesus? And in her religion, Christians are 'infidels' and enemies of Allah. I feel guilty - for still loving her....she was and is very dear to my heart, as only best friends can be. We are still in touch with each other via email, but not regularly, and we don't talk about religion. Except I have told her about the big WTBTS quandry I've recently found myself in.... But I still feel that she really has turned her back on Jehovah.

My hope is that one day soon Jehovah will put it all in perspective - and all will know the elusive truth of the matter. I've got this scenario in my head: Jehovah reveals His true self to the entire world... He has the attention of every person, from all religious backgrounds, from every nation on Earth. He states,"This is the way I want it to be." Everyone scratches their heads (I reckon everyone will have misconceptions about something) - "Oh, that's the way it is? ...Wow, I was really wrong then, wasn't I?" Then a loud roar of aggreement heard the world over - "If that's the way You want it, Father, then that's the way we want it, too!" Everyone who truly has a heart filled with love for our Heavenly Father will choose His surpassing way.........those who don't want it... well....won't get the benefits. ------------ Pollyanna-istic? Maybe......

In Christ's Love, peacebaby

• meat pie
    meat pie

Hello Peacebaby, may you have peace.As I understand it, your last paragraph reflects a basic Islamic belief too, that everyone will believe in the only true God.I am a real novice, but I have been looking into Islam for sometime and find some Islamic beliefs very 'drawing' if you know what I mean.Strangely though, when you look into human behaviour in any religion that has been around a noticeable amount of time you see the same patterns forming.eg; 'ours is the only True religion', marry within the faith (this is also true of Zoroastrians), loads and loads of nit-picking rules that get harder to obey. Personally, I see these things as human failings, I cannot believe God would care what cloth I make clothes out of ( as in Moses' time)or whether I should eat cows/pigs/no meat/etc.Keep Holy Friday/Saturday/Sunday/no day.

As for your friend not proseletising to you, again in my limited knowledge, I think it is also a basic Islamic belief that they should not cast scorn on another's religion but, if requested, they explain or show by example the way they believe is the best way. Of course I don't know your friend but maybe she thought you would be shocked or offended?

Is your friend a bad person? It doesn't sound like she is, so I think IMHO that you should love your friend and be assured that God knows best,

Shirley.

• avishai
    avishai
    I feel guilty - for still loving her....

Did'nt Jesus say to love everybody?

• jwsons
    jwsons

Yes, my former partner special pinoeering. The last thing I heard and knew it is true: became a Muslim after married a Muslim.

jwsons

• Carmel
    Carmel

I don't know any exjw Muslims but I was struck by your dissappointment in her answer to you. I would very likely have done the same thing had I been in her shoes. After being an "in your face" religious fanatic (ie JW publisher) I have gone the almost the opposite extreme to not prosyltize or recruit.

As to your question regarding her being a true apostate by Christian standards, that is for her to define. I would not label her as such as belief that Jesus was the literal physical "son of God" and all the other literal hagiographics about Him are not universally shared amongst those that claim to be "christian", hence she believes in Jesus a one of the "Christs" rather than being the sole "Christ". This rendering is by Muslim and not a few Christian scholars as being more consistant with what Jesus taught. That his followers chose to "pervert the text" with interpretations of exclusivity do not change reality.

So I wouldn't be so hard on your friend. I'm sure she wanted to avoid your "shunning" as well as not "stumble" you. In a sence, protecting your dignity, even though you couldn't see it.

carmel

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

If she is your friend, why not be interested in the fact she is undertaking a spiritual journey. Just because it is not your choice, why should you feel rejective of her? Hope that if your journey takes you on a road less travelled, your friends will be happy with the postcards you send.

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country." -Anais Nin

• peacebaby
    peacebaby

Thanks for your thoughtful replies - you've helped me see some things from a different viewpoint.

My friend is a good person, with a good heart, and I love her, and I never shunned her. I didn't reject her - I felt rejected by her. We had been nearly joined at the hips, up to the point she started studying Islam. She probably was trying to protect me, and our respective feelings, by going about it in a secretive manner. I was awfully quick to get my feelings hurt over what I thought she was hiding from me - when I'm sure she felt she was shielding me - fearing it would be an insurmountable stumbling block for our friendship..... and for my being a 'good dub'..... Thanks, Carmel, I see that now....

avishai - I understand now that I haven't felt guilty for loving her - the guilt comes from that slavish WT mindset. I've been feeling guilty because:1.) I don't feel remorse for not hating her, and 2.) I have to hide the fact that I don't hate her. Isn't that twisted logic? That's what the shunning policy is based on - sick, hateful, twisted logic. Yes, Jesus, our exemplar, said it - "love even your enemies", an all-encompassing, surpassing love.

meat pie - I wasn't aware that my statement was an Islamic belief - I didn't get that from my friend, it's something I've come to believe since my association with WTBTS. Even though they put up a good argument as 'the one true religion' , as you said - all religions think they're The One. There are as many interpretations of God as there are people - no one has yet been able to put God in a box. I've seen too many real examples of Christ-like love outside WT[and too many bad example 'inside'] to ever think they'd cornered the market on Jehovah's approval. Only God and His Son are able to read hearts - I'm sure not. Good advice - I'm just gonna love her, as I am assured that God knows best...

I'm going to write her right now, and remind her how much I love and miss her. [She moved 2 states away.] I'm sure if she hadn't moved, we wouldn't be having this exchange - she and I would've figured it all out between the 2 of us long ago...... Then I'm going to write another letter, dissing my association with the hate mongers who will view me with righteous hatred and shun me for being an apostate, too....

I'm finally ready..... 2pac Peace and Love from peacebaby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit