Nethinim...Con-men or Prostitutes....

by peacefulpete 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I thought a short commentary on the "Nethinim" (Nathinim, Nethunim) would be fun. So here we go.

The word (given (ones) is used in verbal form in reference to the Levites until the post Exilic stories whereupon it takes on a new usage as a name of a specific non-Israelite people serving in the Temple. It is much complicated by the various descriptions from P,D,J but it is clear we have some conflict of opinions about the history and role of this group.

In Josh 9 we have an apparent late attempt to identify Nethinim with the Gibeonites. If you recall the story Yahweh instructs them to kill them but Joshua is conned into thinking they came from far away and he enters a treaty with them. He subsequently assigns them to be slaves as wood cutters and water fetchers for the whole assembly of Israel (It was apparently edited with additional references to the alter services "down to this day" that gives it away). Never again are they connected with the temple or alter.

According to the Jewish Encyclopedia: The picture of the Levites given in Leviticus, Numbers, the P portions of Joshua, and Chronicles is thought...to be a projection by the writers of the institutions of their own times into the distant past.

According to Ezra and Nehemiah upon return from exile suddenly we have a non-Israelite people called Nethinim who are apparently vital to Temple services. They now appear as a distinct family/clan living somewhere in an unknown city of Casiphia (shining white) led by a man name Iddo (timely). And their 'timely' assistance is given to the Temple to help purify the Israelites. Not everyone agreed with this practice of using foreigners in the Temple.

So, what we have so far suggests as Narkissos posted some years ago:

From a critical standpoint, there is little doubt that the name is really post-exilic, applying to a subordinate category of temple servants in the early 2nd temple arrangement (along with the "sons of the slaves of Solomon," Ezra 2:55; Nehemiah 11:3). Apparently they were slaves "given" to the temple as an offering by wealthy worshippers or rulers -- a Babylonian practice according to Lipinski, which seems to be directly condemned in Ezekiel 44:6-9: "Say to the rebellious house, to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: O house of Israel, let there be an end to all your abominations in admitting foreigners, uncircumcised in heart and flesh, to be in my sanctuary, profaning my temple when you offer to me my food, the fat and the blood. You have broken my covenant with all your abominations. And you have not kept charge of my sacred offerings; but you have appointed foreigners to act for you in keeping my charge in my sanctuary. Thus says the Lord GOD: No foreigner, uncircumcised in heart and flesh, of all the foreigners who are among the people of Israel, shall enter my sanctuary."

It gets even more interesting from Rabbinic sources. Again, from the Jewish Encyclopedia:

This union of sacred service and social ostracism has led to the suggestion that the Nethinim were the descendants of the Ḳedeshot, or sacred prostitutes; and it may be pointed out that in the list in Ezra ii. there is a large number of feminine forms, as well as in the extra list contained in the Book of Esdras (v. 53-58). This latter list contains a reference to the "Bene Souba," with which may be compared the "Soba'im" of Ezek. xxiii. 42 (Hebr.). Both the Septuagint and Josephus refer to the Nethinim as "Hieroduli," which seems to imply that they were Ḳedeshot.

Sooo, the WT has decided to utilize this element of the Nethinim as foretelling the appointment of "Other Sheep" to important roles as assistants to the GB. Who were these Nethinim?

Well our choices seem to be: 1. con-men turned slaves, 2. foreign slaves sold to the Temple as offerings and condemned by Ezekiel or 3. Temple prostitutes recast as servants.

• waton
    waton

simply put, all jws should be considered members of the 12 tribes of Israel [of God]. Out of these "spiritual tribes" (like of Joseph) are sealed the 144 000, including the Governing Body aka F&DS.

Christians are not astranged, or foreigners. they are citizens. Old wt doctrine: the 12 tribes are the earthly class.

Leave the name calling to the name callers.

Not endorsing, just pointing out.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

ḲEDESHAH (plural, Ḳedeshot):

The ḳedeshot were sacred prostitutes attached to the Temple as priestesses of Ashtoreth or Astarte. The worship of Ashtoreth was introduced by Solomon (I Kings xi. 5); and it is possible that the obscene rites connected therewith were practised near the Temple, which was practically a chapel royal while the kingdom lasted. It is even stated that Tamar adopted the professional dress of a ḳedeshah to ensnare Judah (Gen. xxxviii. 21). The male counterparts of the ḳedeshot, the ḳedeshim, are mentioned in the reign of Rehoboam (I Kings xiv. 24); they were removedby Asa (ib. xv. 12) and by Jehoshaphat (ib. xxii. 47); and Josiah even found it necessary to break down their houses at the time of his reforms (II Kings xxiii. 7). Hosea (iv. 14) refers to ḳedeshot. The Deuteronomic legislation, which represents Josiah's reformation, declared against the practise of such rites. "There shall be no ḳedeshah of the daughters of Israel, nor a ḳadesh of the sons of Israel" (Deut. xxiii. 18, Hebr.). It is doubtful, however, whether the rites were altogether abolished; for Ezekiel gives a full account of them, obviously from scenes witnessed during his lifetime (Ezek. xxiii. 36-48). It is even probable that there was reversion to these rites by Jehoiakim (II Kings xxiii. 37), Jehoiachin (ib. xxiv. 9), and Zedekiah (ib. 19). It has been suggested by Jacobs that the Nethinim were the descendants of these ḳedeshot.

Bibliography:
    • Jacobs, Studies in Biblical Archœology, pp. 114-116, London, 1894.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So, if the Nethinim are post-Exilic, and slaves given for service by rich worshippers, these would be people living in the land when the returnees got back from Babylon ? Rich worshippers and slaves in the land ? or did the two classes form over time as the 2nd temple was built ?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Phizzy,...first I have to say I can only speculate. The use of temple slaves was very common in the Middle east and it was possibly done prior to the exile. The use of the name might also have originated before as well. We just don't know. It's just that in the stories the first use the word as a noun is in Ezra/Nehemiah. The part about Iddo and a city full of Nethinim somewhere in Israel might be a purely literary creation or it might suggest a clan of temple slaves did exist. The majority of common Jews never were deported, only the leaders. Ezra/Nehemiah is heavily edited so either is possible. I personally find the use of 'cue names' (shining white and timely) as suggestive of it being a literary creation.

Then again, many Jews that returned had very successful lives in Babylon. They had businesses and slaves no doubt. In Ezra, the returnees are depicted as wealthy, when a collection was taken, they came up with nearly 4 tons of gold and 28 tons of silver for the temple from 1400 donors. (Exaggerations seem likely but still).

I just recalled Haggai as expressing frustration that the people of Jerusalem had fine paneled homes when the temple lay in ruins. That might suggest a prosperity capable of slaves as well.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Something else I forgot to include in the opening comment was the interpolation in Ezra 8:20 that says David gave the Nethinim to the Levites as slaves.

19 and Hashabiah, and with him Jeshaiah of the sons of Merari, his brethren and their sons, twenty; 20 and of the Nethinim, (whom David and the princes had given for the service of the Levites), two hundred and twenty Nethinim: all of them were mentioned by name.

This is not mentioned in any of the David traditions. This likely retrojects them into the past artificially and the editor also seems unaware of the Gibeonite story and Numbers (below) as they read today.

Numbers 31 Has the conquered Midianites being given to the priests and Levites either as human sacrifice or slaves. But this immediately follows the direction to kill everyone but virgin girls. So it is a bit provocative. Were the virgin girls to be slaves of the temple? Again, it is suggested the word "people" was an interpolation edited into the text here to give an origin story for the Nethinim without considering carefully the immediate context that said all the boys/men and adult women were to be killed.

17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

28 From the soldiers who fought in the battle, set apart as tribute for the Lord one out of every five hundred, whether (people), cattle, donkeys or sheep. 29 Take this tribute from their half share and give it to Eleazar the priest as the Lord’s part. 30 From the Israelites’ half, select one out of every fifty, whether (people), cattle, donkeys, sheep or other animals. Give them to the Levites, who are responsible for the care of the Lord’s tabernacle.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit