"Brexit? What's that?"

by schnell 6 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

Having shared the ARC report on Facebook and shaken up my network of JW friends, uhhh... I am now learning how unfortunately ignorant they have become. So far the overall response to the report has shown that well enough, but it got worse.

A friend of mine moved to the UK from California a few years back. After he saw my post, he PMed me, essentially checking up to see if I'm alright. I said yeah my wife and I are alright, and asked how things are in the UK. Cordially, he said they're good, could be better but we'll get along anyway. I agreed, and said it's interesting to see all the history going on, but we just have to get along.

"History?..."

"Brexit, Trump, all that."

"Brexit? What's that? I will Google it."

What is going on? What rock are my friends hiding under and why does it seem so comfortable? How does my smart, thinking friend go without knowing about Brexit whilst living in England? How does this happen?

If he were to go to the door, and I were a householder, and we had basically the same conversation that I have relayed here, what would the householder in London think of this?

My god, people...

• Spiral
    Spiral

Hi Schnell,

Now that I am around JWs again (after a 10+ year break) I notice the same thing. They all seem to have absolutely no idea what is going on in the real world. I can only speculate (after being at some meetings and seeing how dumbed-down the content is) that none of them are paying any attention to the news or current events.

Funny, growing up as a JW we were encouraged to watch the news, etc., to know what was going on and to have something to talk about at the door.

Now, it seems they are being isolated from the "world" all the more, and so many of them just go along with it. If you factor in the fact that many have no higher education or technical job skills, so are self-employed in service-type work (cleaning, etc.) they really have no exposure to the wider world.

Of course, they cooperate in their own isolation. But the ignorance of what goes on in the real world is astounding.

• Simon
    Simon
    the ignorance of what goes on in the real world is astounding.

To be fair, it's not just JWs. Lots of people seem to have almost zero interest in what is happening in the world other than if a celebrity is involved. In fact, JWs probably have a higher focus on world events than most.

Just look at the last US election. You can't imagine a more divisive and important election to vote in ... yet most didn't.

The lazy apathy of the electorate is why we get the fools we do.

• stillin
    stillin

Ignorance is bliss.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

At one of the Circuit Assembly parts this service year, there was literally a talk that told people not to watch the news a lot.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@ Simon:

Actually, this US election had a record turnout, the most of any US election ever. Just because the electoral college didn't go the way you saw fit, doesn't mean we're all living in a shell down here. And I'll be the first to admit: I'd rather have Trump over Hillary, and Democratic wife agrees! However, I will also be the first to admit that I feel the electoral college should be disbanded, and election decided on popular, majority vote. I don't feel it right or fair that the person with the most votes losses the election. That was fine back in the 17-1800's when electoral colleges were supposed to represent the slaves and uneducated, but those times are OVER. Whether I like it or not, Hillary Clinton SHOULD be President of the USA, based upon majority, popular vote.

• kramer
    kramer

Nonsense, no one living in the U.K. Doesn't have an idea of what BREXIT is , details maybe not, but to not heard of it and have to google it they must have been in a coma for the last 18 months

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit