Food for thought -"How cults rewrite the brain"

by Thirteenth tribe 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Thirteenth tribe
  • Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif
    @Thirteenth tribe, watched it, sort of understood what she meant, but can't understand how I got pulled in?
  • Thirteenth tribe
    Thirteenth tribe
    Probably the love bombing on us ones who have suffered low self esteem or overwhelming feelings of unworthiness.. They play on Gods love for is like its a dam commodity.
  • talesin
    talesin

I'm not buying it. Ted Talks are not the Gospel, and this one is a good example. It's an interesting forum, with lots of real scientists, and a wide array of others, giving some very good talks. This, however, is not science.

Memetics is pseudoscience. There's some really interesting papers, if you'd like to research the subject more; google is your friend. xx

• Thirteenth tribe
    Thirteenth tribe
    Yes good point, literally putting it out for there for debate -I have my reservations on her theories... To me it doesn't work but i find myself looking around for the 1st time in years at different points of view. Not to adopt new teachings just because 'I can ' now!
  • talesin
    talesin

I was really wanting to say "use google or other types of searches, because no one source should always be accepted". It's good to look for articles by scholars and scientists. I found 2 papers that were quite interesting, as well as an article by a woman who formerly was a proponent of the memetic virus idea.

There's a lot to be said for having a bit of skepticism - don't be cynical, but look around and do your own research. The 'net has so much valuable information, and I'm often surprised that I get side-tracked and reading some super interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of facts.

Keep soaking up all the knowledge you can; enjoy your freedom. I love learning! It never ends. xx tal

• Thirteenth tribe
    Thirteenth tribe

Thanks Talesin, really appreciate your input. I'm actually talking to my husband about returning to university, I can't believe I allowed the organisation to discourage me from further study (apart from their shed load of endless propaganda study materials) I thankfully went to uni back in the day before I got back into the whole Borg stage of my life!

if you have the link for that article ? ☺️X

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, yes! I hope you do that. You'll never regret it, that's for sure. Had you chosen a major or field of study?

Apparently, this has been a discussion since the 70s. Here's two articles I read:

http://hallpike.com/Memetics.%20A%20Darwinian%20pseudo-science.pdf

http://www.lehman.edu/deanhum/philosophy/platofootnote/PlatoFootnote.org/Outreach_files/07-Dawkins%20memetics.pdf

• Thirteenth tribe
    Thirteenth tribe
    I studied psychology and counselling and now want to go back to study Cognitive behavioural therapy. Great I will check out those articles 🤔

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit