Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

So, you want to learn the Force. . .Help you I can. My ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. It is what gives a Jedi his power. It is the energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us. It binds the universe together.

The Force is this and more. It cannot be fully described with words. You must feel the Force to understand it. To feel the force is what you will learn. The Force is a gift we share. Learning the force is not just acquiring another tool for manipulating the world around you. It is choosing a whole new life. It is remembering who you are and forgetting all of the limitations you have put upon yourself. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter we call our body. You are a being of limitless power. Learning the Force is learning your true strength.

Finding this power without enough wisdom is dangerous. It is at this point you are most vulnerable. Beware of the dark side. Anger. . . fear . . . aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. The dark side is easier, more seductive. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Well said, rem. I too had to take exception to the idea that "Western science has much to lose from proving claims of the paranormal." That makes it sound like science is a secret club where the scientists get together in their evil lair and figure out how to supress the truth. That's more a depiction of the Syndicate from X-Files than the reality, where research bodies often compete with each other to make the discovery first, so as to capitalize on its value.

Really. Scientists aren't the bad guys.

SNG

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Wow, things really have heated up in here! It is unfortunate that it is difficult for a skeptic to give his/her opinion on topics like this without offending the believers.

As usual, I agree completely with rem's thoughts on the matter. (You too Nathan!) SNG was extremely tactful and I could learn a thing or two from him.

What it boils down to for me is that I want/need scientific proof. However, I have no good alternate explanation for experiences of Mac's son or some of the other stories. I am also very curious about what people are actually seeing when they describe an aura. I don't believe it's a biological energy field because inanimate objects are reported as having auras too. (Yes LT, I did see your response to this but I'm not really convinced..)

AFAIK the only inanimate objects known to give off any energy are radioactive (unless you count something like heat radiation from a thermally hot object). If there is some sort of energy given off by even non-radioactive objects, can this be detected with something other than the human eye? It seems that believers like to say that science can't detect things like this because their equipment isn't sensitive enough or isn't designed to detect it. Well I don't buy it... equipment can be much more sensitive than the human eye, and can "see" many more frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum. To claim that the human eye can see something that no equipment can detect seems far-fetched.

I would like to see these auras photographed, and I don't mean photographed in that Kirlian style where high voltage is applied to the object being photographed to "bring out" the aura.

I find this thread very interesting and hope that others continue to post their paranormal experiences.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Doctor

Thank dawg, you finally showed up w your opinion. This thread was on the edge of floundering, until now. Thankyou.

SS

• Sirona
    Sirona

Nathan,

I've not yet read the rest of this thread because its just so long and I'd rather address the comments in your post to me.

Here goes.

Yes, Sirona, I am lumping all metaphysicians together in a group called "metaphysicians".

That is called generalisation (to use your condescending "teacher" tone). I could similarly group "men" together and say "ask any man and he will tell you that the paranormal is all bullsh*t" and my argument would therefore have no weight because I had grossly generalised. I know what metaphysics is, and I also know that as with many groups, you'll get differing opinions on certain matters. You asserted they all believed that there were "demons" and I simply suggested that you might be making too much of an assumption there.

Invisible, non-material, consciousness? Ain't no such thing.

It appears to me that whilst you sneer at us believers for saying something does exist that we cannot prove using a scientific test available today, you have the similar convenience of being able to assert that something simply does not exist and "thats the end of it". You'd rather label us all mad or liars.

"Real" things can be demonstrated and real experiences can be duplicated. Reality is consistent and reliable, not "impossible". If something is impossible, maybe it isn't real.

Demonstrate "love" to me then. Not just the effects of "love" but show me that it exists - 100%. I'm guessing that you'll give examples of behaviour of a person or something. The fact is that noone can prove that love exists because we cannot identify what it actually is. Are you going to tell me love exists because you FEEL it? Well then, so do supernatural things because I can feel it. I can't prove you feel the same thing, but I know what I feel. See the argument?

What is the nature of this mysterious threshold that somehow excludes laboratories from "the real world"? A laboratory is as real as a living room, a church, an alchemist's lair, a witches den, or a shaman's hut.

I was referring to the very common argument of the laboratory being controlled conditions. In psychological testing they have noticed that laboratories often produce a different effect than if the same thing were tested in "normal" real-world conditions. People don't react in the same way in labs. (By the way....Witches den? LOL)

Sirona

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Sirona,

I stand behind everything I said.

The term "metaphysicians" is hardly a gross generalization. It describes people who believe that there is "something else" behind the real world. Maybe instead of demons, I should have said boogeymen. Yes, metaphysicians believe in boogeymen. They may call them spirits or gods or angels (or demons!) or ascended masters, but they all share the traits of boogeymen: they're imaginary, not real. Metaphysicians believe in things that are not real.

When people make extraordinary claims that run counter to common experience, it is up to them to provide proof that their claims are legitimate. While some metaphysicians are mad or liars, not all are. Some are simply mistaken, deluded or incapable of analytical thought.

Are you suggesting that "love" is a substance or an object? Love is a collection of subjective behaviors and emotions within a social relationship. Behaviors can be demonstrated and duplicated. No problemo.

I have not suggested that you do not "feel" things, but no one's emotional feelings are by themselves, evidence of anything concrete. Have you ever had a dream while sleeping an woke up thinking that you had a present of some sort, only to realize after awakening that you did not? Have you ever awakened from a bad dream with a feeeling of dread or fear or anger and had to talk yourself down after you woke up? In these cases, what you feel has no connection with what is real.

Yes, witches den - you've never heard the term?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

SS: Oh shaddup!!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I personally don't doubt that Mulan sees auras. What I'm interested in is "What is she really seeing".

Rem: What I see is a "field" of color around a person, (an energy field?) from the top of their head to the toes. I see it around plants too. It is kind of a foggy thing, and different widths on each person, from very narrow to several inches thick, but always attached to their body. I have read where some people see many different colors on each person. But what I see, is one color only. I can always see the aura, but the color takes me a few seconds to see, or I would say everyone's is clear. I am definitely not trained to see them.................the Indian woman gave me a five minute lesson in seeing them, and from there I just started seeing what happened and what I could see.

One thing you can try yourself (anyone) is to go outside on a dark night (no lights to interfere) and hold your had up to the sky, with your thumb and forefinger touching. Slowly move them apart, just a fraction of an inch...............continue doing that and see if you can see a "fog" between the finger and thumb.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I see the Priests of the Church of Science are still here putting out fires.

Mulan

Do you see them too on people on tv and people in pictures? Just wondering.

SS

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Do you see them too on people on tv and people in pictures?

No

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit