Calling all audiophiles

by wasasister 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• wasasister
    wasasister

Hey there, Techno-geeks. Can you help a lady out?

I have a multi-channel receiver and I want to add a rear-surround speaker, just one center. I already have: Right, Left, Center, Sub-woofer, Surround R & L. I have one extra speaker and I'd like to use it to achieve 6.1 surround.

On my JVC receiver, should I wire the rear surround to the right or left speaker outputs; or do I need to use both to achieve 6.1?

Thanks,

Wasa

PS, this is how it should look when complete:

L C/SW R

SL (me) SR

Surround Rear

• rem
    rem

Is there any such thing as 6.1 surround sound? I hadn't heard of it (though, I'm no audiophile). You may run into some phase cancellation issues if you wire both the rear left and right channels to the same speaker. I would recommend just staying at the standard 5.1 surround. I'm not sure what added benefit a rear center channel will give you. The main reason for a front central channel is for dialog... and there isn't usually alot of dialog coming from directly behind the viewer.

rem

• wasasister
    wasasister

Rem:

Is there any such thing as 6.1 surround sound?

Yes, according to articles I've read when I did a google search. The sixth channel is the rear speaker. Some of the newer movies have 6.1 sound (I think Disney's re-release of Fantasia, for example, but I'm not sure.)

When I bought my receiver, the 6 channel was a selling point. Now that I have a spare speaker, I'd like to use it, since the output jacks are there.

Anyone??

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

Actually the reciever should have it's own designated slot for the 6.1. What your looking to do is hook up a center rear speaker. Your reciever should have that designated, seperate from the other outputs. Hope this helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit