Disfellowshipping

by sandy 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sandy
    sandy

Is it true that one Elder is assigned to a disfellowshipped person? This is the contact person for the DF'd one?

Also, Is it true that the Elder can only contact the DF'd one once a year?

My DF'd father told me this the other day. I asked him what scripture is that based on? That was just sarcasm. I think he got the point.

• luna
    luna

I'd never heard this before, but I wouldn't be surprised.

When I was df'd, I no longer even lived in the same city as the cong. that I went to. I had moved about and hour or so away. The elder's tracked me down, and Df'd me by phone. It was one elder who called me the first time, and the same elder that called me back later in the week to tell me that they'd all had a chat, and decided to DF me.

At the time, I didn't care. I still don't care that I was DF'd, I thought it was all BS, anyhow, but I've had a few people since then tell me that they really didn't have any right. Seeing as how I was no longer even close to being in the same territory, and since they actually had to hunt me down.

Does anyone know if they broke any of thier own "Rules" by df'ing me the way they did? I never met anyone in person, it was all done in by telephone line.

Oh well, no loss.

Luna

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Does anyone know if they broke any of thier own "Rules" by df'ing me the way they did? I never met anyone in person, it was all done in by telephone line.

That would depend on what sort of 'evidence' they had, and whether you were willing to meet with them.

As regards, the original question..

I don't think that one particular elder is assigned to a d/fed person. However, the Flock book does say if a d/fed person wants to obtain literature, they can do so via an elder who was on their committee.

As far as the annual visit, that is generally conducted by two elders, and is supposed to be a minimum, not a maximum. It's often neglected, however.

[Edit: see correction below.]

• onacruse
    onacruse

Euph:

the Flock book does say if a d/fed person wants to obtain literature, they can do so via an elder who was on their committee.

I'd be interested in seeing that quote. My copy of Pay Attention didn't show any such directive (I have an older edition).

Also, as far as I'm concerned, if the literature I would want is available to the general public, then they better darn well give it to me if I walked into the KH and asked for it personally at the Lit desk.

Craig

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Sandy,

Is it true that one Elder is assigned to a disfellowshipped person? This is the contact person for the DF'd one? Also, Is it true that the Elder can only contact the DF'd one once a year?

Not really. Any elder can offer general 'encouragment' to a DF'd person at any time. For official business, for example if the DF'd person wishes to apply for reinstatement or has other reasons to discuss his particular case and problems etc. he normally works through one of the elders who sat on his committee, usually the Chairman.

As to your third question, you ask whether an elder can only contact a DF'd person once a year. No, but he must contact once a year to make sure that he has followed the WTS rules. This meeting is not voluntary on the elders part.

Best regards - HS

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Craig... I remember seeing the quote on JWD. My reaction was the same as yours. I don't have a source. Sorry.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Euph, I checked, and perhaps the thread you're thinking about is http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/64439/1.ashx ?

I get one hit on 2001 WTS CD ( literature for disfellowshipped persons: or 174), but my copy of the om is the '89 revision, and it's only about unbaptized publishers.

Craig

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Onacruse... you're right.

That was a very sloppy mistake on my part; I apologize. (I've added a note to my original post.)

• onacruse
    onacruse

LOL...well, Dan, we'll just have ta take ya out and whop your sorry back side with a mesquite branch!...and blondie, too, unless she comes up with a definitive quote.

Craig

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

To absolve the Elders from any requirment to vist the DFd one (or inactive), all that is needed is to label them "belligerent" or "apostate". (apostates will of course be DFd if they were inactive)

For anyone no wanting to be harassed by them, all you need to do is 'remind' them that they are not obliged to vist apostates or those who display a belligerent attitude. They should leave you alone. If not then call the police and record the visit. They will be told to stay away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit